Three Cheers for Pearse Doherty TD

Started by Zapatista, November 03, 2010, 11:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: Zapatista on November 03, 2010, 11:58:05 AM
The Government has offended the spirit of the Constitution by failing to hold the long-awaited Donegal South West byelection, the High Court ruled today.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1103/breaking10.html
bit of a copout was it?  Could he have ordered them to set a date?

Banana Man

Fair play to Pearse, hope he gets in now  :D

muppet

Quote from: Zapatista on November 03, 2010, 12:36:24 PM
Apparently SF moved the writ on the first Donegal by election this morning.

Did SF just bring down a Government? All their Christmas' at once.

Our government is using money the State doesn't have to try to block democratic elections. Incredible.
MWWSI 2017

Tubberman

Doubt it  :( This govt have so little regard for the public that they will brazen this out. We'll probably have the Donegal by-election before xmas (because they have to really), and hopefully a GE in the Spring.

I can't see them letting the other 3 by-elections go ahead, it would only lead to a GE anyway as they would surely lose. So they'd be as well to just call a GE instead.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

FL/MAYO

This is Doherty in action recently, I would vote for him. From what I hear from friends in Donegal he has a good reputation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHmz0BlOyUc

Tubberman

Quote from: Zapatista on November 03, 2010, 01:55:58 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on November 03, 2010, 01:51:55 PM

Doubt it  :( This govt have so little regard for the public that they will brazen this out. We'll probably have the Donegal by-election before xmas (because they have to really), and hopefully a GE in the Spring.

I can't see them letting the other 3 by-elections go ahead, it would only lead to a GE anyway as they would surely lose. So they'd be as well to just call a GE instead.

If they call the Donegal one the opposition will threaten court action with 2 of the other 3 and the Government will have to explain how they can waste more tax payers money denying democracy or they must cave to them too. They might aswell call an election.

Is McAleese in town?

The Greens (well, Dan Boyle) has said the writ should be moved on the Donegal by-election immediately, and suggested the others go ahead with the Children's constitution and this joke of a Dublin Mayoral election in the Spring.
Now it's up to the Opposition to start applying the pressure. They should be able to finish them off here, but I haven't much more confidence in the opposition than I do in the govt
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Hedley Lamarr

Long time from I heard someone speak as well....fair dues...that's the type of representative you want.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

glens abu

Quote from: FL/MAYO on November 03, 2010, 02:04:25 PM
This is Doherty in action recently, I would vote for him. From what I hear from friends in Donegal he has a good reputation

Even from a biased Shinner that is great,could do with a few more like him.

Doogie Browser

He is a top man, fair play to him, great work.

Goldengreen

Quote from: FL/MAYO on November 03, 2010, 02:04:25 PM

impressive stuff there, need a few more like that

mylestheslasher

They'll grant us an election in Donegal but drag the others out as long as they can with some waffle of putting it on the same day in spring for the extremely important Dublin Mayor election and a referendum on children. FF will do anything to cling onto power, that is their principle reason for being in government.

Pangurban

There is a growing concensus   that this awful,corrupt government must be got out. But then what. Elect a coalition of the incompetent FG and Lab., who have already committed themselves to following the path as the current lot. How would that help

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Pangurban on November 03, 2010, 08:34:40 PM
There is a growing concensus   that this awful,corrupt government must be got out. But then what. Elect a coalition of the incompetent FG and Lab., who have already committed themselves to following the path as the current lot. How would that help

I detest FG especially but a message must be sent to politicians that they are accountable for their actions. Kicking out FF will at least make them accountable as the electorate will have punished them for their mis-management.

Pangurban

But the Country will still be left with the same problems, with no new thinking being brought too bear