Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Talk on hoganstand (so it must be true  :P ) that Crawford got injured again in training and is out for this weekend,

true or not, I dont think we can lose midfield and expect to win this weekend. Louth have much more dangerous forwards than the Dubs, and I doubt we'll get the same amount of goal chances again.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

Agreed. Losing Crawford would be a nightmare. But, Crawford or no Crawford, the management has to address the midfield problem. If we can't win enough primary possession, we have to do two things: stop the opposition winning it and win the majority of "secondary" possession - breaking ball.

The two go together as well. If you're not going to catch the kickout, you should be fisting it or knocking it down as the opposition tries to catch it. And your ground ball scrappers should be anticipating that. It was annoying in the Dublin game to see Meath players standing around aimlessly as everyone in the stadium could see the kickout situation develop - the Dublin midfielder jumping for it and another Dublin player facing him, 3 to 5 yards in front of him to pick up any likely break. Time and again. No response from our players or from the sideline. Any breaking ball we did pick up was because of a combination of random breaks and Seamus Kenny doing it all on his own.

It's not popular to be questioning the management approach when results are going well, but it does make you wonder what's going on when they can go through an entire game watching this kind of stuff and doing nothing about it.

The really worrying thing is that the Dublin result may mask the obvious crisis at midfield and it won't be addressed at all. If that happens, Louth will totally wipe us out for possession, because their midfield is about twice as good as Dublin's.

Jinxy

Don't mind the usual hogan stand nonsense.
Crawford will be fit.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

meathie

Very quiet build up in Meath for this, not sure if its a good or bad thing. I think after our last nine mierable years people are not getting ahead of themselves and waiting to see what Sunday brings. Certainly wont be any complacency. cant wait for it though....

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hardy

The bastards have annexed large parts of Meath, that the Droghedeans refer to as "The Far Side", into the borough of Drogheda already. I propose that Sunday's match be for them to keep it or us to get it back, along with the rest of the town and the northern hinterland. They can keep Clogherhead and Ardee, though.

fearglasmor

Quote from: Hardy on July 07, 2010, 02:10:51 PM
The b**tards have annexed large parts of Meath, that the Droghedeans refer to as "The Far Side", into the borough of Drogheda already. I propose that Sunday's match be for them to keep it or us to get it back, along with the rest of the town and the northern hinterland. They can keep Clogherhead and Ardee, though.

Isn't that "The Faaa Side"    :D

thejuice

Maaas Baaaas

Went to de Mary's in Dwaa-da.

From what I remember there were a few questionable Meath men from the town in the school in 1999 and 1996. Wonder what colours they're wearing this weekend.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Louth Exile

For those who haven't heard it, Off the Ball from Drogheda last Monday. Starts about five minutes in and Seamie wasn't long about putting in the hits on wee Bernie (even if he did dodge a few of them). Good craic  :D
http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/22/monday/2/

I was very disappointed about the lack of colour in Dundalk on the Tuesday after the Westmeath game, but was back in it today for the first time since.... Holy shit...
In fairness this is what Fitzer and the county board want, we are going to have to trust that he is able to channel the support. If the weather is good on Sunday the bandwagon will be well and truly hitched up. In fairness our support were very vocal and colourful the last day, so maybe they can be the 16 man, as in fairness to the Royals have the solid fanbase they should be guaranteed strong support.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Hardy

Quote from: Louth Exile on July 07, 2010, 09:50:18 PM
For those who haven't heard it, Off the Ball from Drogheda last Monday. Starts about five minutes in and Seamie wasn't long about putting in the hits on wee Bernie (even if he did dodge a few of them). Good craic  :D
http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/22/monday/2/

The crassness of yer man in introducing Kevin Beahan as a survivor of the 1957 team!

mattockranger

Still brutally nervous.............

Reasons why we Can win

we have players better suited to win breaking ball apart from Seamus Kenny Meath don't win enough in this area...on a day where both teams strength in the forwards the one who is starved the most will lose

Meath defence lacks pace....King Moyles o'brien Harrington all good defenders but their pace can be exposed
Also JP is due a good game....and maybe too tricky for Harrington....taking meath for goals could really give the underdogs the belief to win the game

Complacency meath could come out flat....in their first provincial final in 9 years as overwhelming favourites playing their lil oul rivals they may become fearful and edgy and we might just take them on the hop

Luck....not going to win us the game but Lord knows we are due some!

Reasons why Meath can win

all ireland semi finalist twice in the last 5 years that pedigree and pressure scenario will stand to them at crucial game winning moments

better options coming off the bench (Byrne, Farrell Mcguinness ward/crawford all would be starters for louth ) Louth have 3 defenders available on the bench 1 of which is Fitzers son....on a day where our defence will be tested to the max a substitution to come in and shore it up...does not look likely

Our Midfield although talented is grossly over-hyed having outplayed a longford midfield,a kildare midfield with a half fit dermot earley substitute and a poor as midfield as your going to get from Westmeath.....
Both picking up awards during the week does nothing for your energy levels aswell as your hunger.....
I think the fact that White kicks frees and scored points over looks the bread and butter of midfield play linking the play and putting pressure around the middle
Brian Meade, Crawford and Ward have been doing this for a while are not flash and are used to getting through mammoth amounts of work and listening to Louth being built up all week will suit them and give them a point to prove...that really worries me

Management Fitzer at the end of the day is a bad manager...wins cover over the cracks ....in the white heat of a provincial final McDonnell/McEniff and the whole backroom team might not have the nous to pull it out of the bag....where as O'Brien has been with Boylan in all-ireland situations aswell as having Sean Kelly in there who is rated very highly they along with the subs will have the edge on the line to beat us.....

this game is going to be the ultimate Gut wrencher

I think will be a draw......
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

pkerin

Another Louth man in exile. I'm sweating in New Jersey from the heat of the summer and the nerves of the upcoming battle against the old enemy. Been out here 20 years, so long that I used to call me aunts in Ardee to put the radio up against the phone so I could listen to another Louth let down in the Championship. I hope and prey it will be different this Sunday. I have a red and white flag flying outside my house. Now the neighbors think I'm Polish. Wish I was back in Ardee for this one. Already told the wife that come September if all goes well were heading for Dublin.
Meath people this is our time.... SO PISS OFF.... We are the WEE county. I can say that...

meathie

well team named, no Ward, thank you Eammon. I hate seeing players dropped but its a brave choice from him. Also I think a spell on the bench might give Ward the kick he needs. Hope Meade delivers now! Rest of team as is. Also glad to see he didnt drop Murphy for O Rourke, come on Sunday!  ;D

Jinxy

Quote from: meathie on July 09, 2010, 09:27:27 AM
well team named, no Ward, thank you Eammon. I hate seeing players dropped but its a brave choice from him. Also I think a spell on the bench might give Ward the kick he needs. Hope Meade delivers now! Rest of team as is. Also glad to see he didnt drop Murphy for O Rourke, come on Sunday!  ;D

Meade & Crawford are far and away our best partnership.
Don't think he has anything to prove.
If you were any use you'd be playing.