LIAM HANNAWAY HUNGER STRIKE

Started by funtime frankie, May 24, 2010, 04:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Hmmm ... must read them.

Anyway - in what way is inclusion on a list of suspects an infringement of rights?

Main Street

The Northern Ireland Prison Service have presented a ridiculously absurd argument to explain why they keep him away from the republican wing.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on May 24, 2010, 07:23:34 PM
The Northern Ireland Prison Service have presented a ridiculously absurd argument to explain why they keep him away from the republican wing.
They don't want anyone killing him so they're letting him slowly kill himself. Makes sense to me!?

pebble-dasher

Liam Hannaway is on hunger strike laying handcuffed to a bed, because he wants to be put back onto the republican wing and to highlight the mis-treatment of the pows in maghaberry prison. 
The screws say he is under death threat from those on the republican wing but in a recent statement it was said that there was no threat against him.
He also wouldnt have the support of many republicans in the jail because of his past actions.

The prisoners in maghaberry have been subjected to terrible treatment since the protest on easter sunday.  They are locked up 23 hours a day in single cells, denied washing and toilet facilities and subject to regular strip searches and beatings.

There is no media coverage about this because it didnt suit the sf agenda coming up to the elections.  They must forget their past and the dirty tricks of the ruc. 

Myles Na G.

Quote from: orangeman on May 24, 2010, 05:56:17 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 24, 2010, 05:54:39 PM
They don't have the popular support but it is very concerning that this man is so long on hunger strike.

I know they don't have the popular suport but is concerning that an Irishman in a British jail is dying from hunger and the politicians, media aren't making an issue of it.

Incredible. I knew we had supposedly moved on but this is ridiculous.
I think you'll find that it's an Irish jail, staffed in the main by Irishmen and women.

Nally Stand

Quote from: stew on May 24, 2010, 08:51:10 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 24, 2010, 08:22:05 PM
They don't have the popular support but it is very concerning that this man is so long on hunger strike.

I know they don't have the popular suport but is concerning that an Irishman in a British jail is dying from hunger and the politicians, media aren't making an issue of it.

I think you'll find that it's an Irish jail, staffed in the main by Irishmen and women.

If he wants to kill himself so be it, the world would be a better place if the likes of him were no longer in it.

Whether you agree with him or not, that post makes you one horrible b*****d
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

stew

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 24, 2010, 09:01:17 PM
Quote from: stew on May 24, 2010, 08:51:10 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 24, 2010, 08:22:05 PM

If he wants to kill himself so be it, the world would be a better place if the likes of him were no longer in it.

Whether you agree with him or not, that post makes you one horrible b*****d

These dissidents are scumbags trying to destabilize the north, trying to bring us back to the bad old days of murder and mayhem, I will shed no tears for him, that said what I wrote was inappropriate and for that I apologise.

I will remove the post.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

dodgy umpire

Fair play stew. Ill remove the quote as well
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Down South

Quote from: pebble-dasher on May 24, 2010, 07:46:52 PM
He also wouldnt have the support of many republicans in the jail because of his past actions.

What is his past? How come this is not in the news, or is it just on the northern news?

stew

Quote from: dodgy umpire on May 24, 2010, 09:48:03 PM
Fair play stew. Ill remove the quote as well

When I read it back to myself it didnt sound like me, sorry to have offended you lads.

Obviously I would rather the man live and come off his hunger strike.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Orior

Hannaway says he wants moved to the Republican wing of the prison.

NIPS say they have not received any such request.

I'm no expert in these matters, but could they not move him, to a secure area of the republican wing?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Maguire01

Quote from: Orior on May 24, 2010, 10:06:48 PM
I'm no expert in these matters, but could they not move him, to a secure area of the republican wing?
I'm no expert either, but if he's in a secure area, what difference dies it matter what wing he's in?

Candyman

In fairness lads, no matter what your political views..... Love him, support him or hate him what this man has decided to go through is mad!! Also, the fact it hasn't got any media attention is also worrying?

orangeman

Whatever the reason for this man's imprisonment or the reason for his palcement within the prison, I find it incredible that there is an Irishman lying in a jail in Northen Ireland literally dying on a hunger strike and nobody is saying anything about it, making an issue out of it and that it's not newsworthy.

As I said earlier, I'm simply astonished and wonder why this is so.

Have republicans become so sanitised and so under the influence of the Brits that they refuse to highlight his case in public ?

Back in the day, they orgainsed riots, protests and had the world's media on site.

Worse still, the man is a cousin of SF leader Gerry Adams.

??? ???

J70

While I would hope that any prisoner would be treated humanely, its hardly surprising that there aren't many people lining up to advocate for these people who want to plunge the north back into war and don't care who they murder or maim. Perhaps if he repudiated his "cause", he might get a bit of public support. Otherwise, I doubt if too many will lose too much sleep over him.