The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 16, 2018, 12:00:46 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 16, 2018, 11:56:09 AM
HT 16-14 to ireland but with possesion and territory ireland should be a lot further ahead.

Not really. The posession has been mainly in the middle third without making huge gains into the Aussie 22

Ireland in control for most of the match and yet still made it nervy for themselves in the end

Walter Cronc

Great win. Defence excellent from both sides. All to play for now

gallsman

South Africa - England is absolutely cracking again

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: gallsman on June 16, 2018, 04:45:08 PM
South Africa - England is absolutely cracking again

Plenty of hand bags too which is good to watch

Orchard park

It's probably the only country in the world I would prefer to see England beating

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Orchard park on June 16, 2018, 05:16:21 PM
It's probably the only country in the world I would prefer to see England beating

I dont know wales and france have been quite annoying in recent years so was alwaya happy to see England beat them although maybe not now with that cnut Jones in charge.

Orchard park

I 'm not keeping it to rugby..

seafoid

Jones has lost 6 in a row. You would wonder if he will be around much longer
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Sindo ad on the radio claiming another "historic" win for Ireland. When historians are looking back on this period of Irish history they are going to be very busy on the subject of rugby.

DuffleKing

How would you go about watching the game back?

Mayo4Sam

AZ or Dinny, can you explain what's happening underage with Ireland?
Beat Japan, just about to stay in the top level of the world U-20 comp. everything you hear about Leinster talks about the conveyor belt of talent. These don't seem compatible
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

magpie seanie

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 18, 2018, 12:42:32 PM
Beat Japan, just about to stay in the top level of the world U-20 comp. everything you hear about Leinster talks about the conveyor belt of talent. These don't seem compatible

Would be interested in Dinny's answer. It was weird - we almost beat the AB's in the first game and then could have won all other our games but didn't. Thankfully we saved ourselves by beating Japan but my gut feeling (based on very little I admit) is that we aren't probably as bad as the results might indicate.

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 18, 2018, 12:53:18 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 18, 2018, 12:42:32 PM

Would be interested in Dinny's answer. It was weird - we almost beat the AB's in the first game and then could have won all other our games but didn't. Thankfully we saved ourselves by beating Japan but my gut feeling (based on very little I admit) is that we aren't probably as bad as the results might indicate.
Bad tournament rather than bad team in my view. As you said, we could have won every game, yet could also have lost to Japan! Definitely questions to be answered though regarding whether there was something amiss in terms of management, preparation, focus, etc. Somebody somewhere will get the blame I'm sure!

Walter Cronc

Open to correction but in my opinion we tend to struggle at this tournament (bar the year we had Ryan, Stockdale, Porter etc.) due to the physicality and intense nature of regular games. Injuries and squad size really take their toll and our 2nd and 3rd choice in key positions isnt of the standard to that of opposition. Our sides tend to be a lot smaller and pitted in an extremely tough group - France (winners) and S.A (3rd place) we struggled - even though we could have beat them! Coupled with the fact it was arguably the best underage side Georgia have produced.

I'm not trying to make excuses for a disappointing tournament but the end goal is to produce professional players and we'll be fine in that department. Like an exceptional minor GAA side and an average one, you tend to get 2-3 seniors max!

This article on England tells you winning it isnt the be all and end all.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/englands-2016-u20-world-cup-winning-side-now/

Rudi