The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Rufus you have me pulling for a sawker team again and I  am watching out for leed's results. I hope they steer clear of the bottom of the table and mount a charge for promotion but I am sure that is a very long shot.

Anyway if nothing else I hope they find an investor with enough clout to bring them back. I would have thought there would be some big shot out there with the money and ambition to awaken a sleeping giant.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

magpie seanie

I don't particularly like Leeds or Dennis Wise but I admire balls and 4 outta 4 is a statement of intent after all the shit they've been through. Twould be easy to lie down and blame the world.

dodo

Good to see briar Wise rattling the opposition dug out whilst staying calm(ish) himself. Got to hand it to himself and Poyet, great start. Will be keeping an eye on them for the year.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: stew on September 02, 2007, 02:33:00 AM
Rufus you have me pulling for a sawker team again and I  am watching out for leed's results. I hope they steer clear of the bottom of the table and mount a charge for promotion but I am sure that is a very long shot.

Anyway if nothing else I hope they find an investor with enough clout to bring them back. I would have thought there would be some big shot out there with the money and ambition to awaken a sleeping giant.

Good man Stew.

Regarding the investment, it's a funny one alright. Like yourself, I would have felt sure that Leeds would be an excellent investment opportunity for some heavy hitter - would be relatively cheap and of course the potential is there - i.e. each home game is normally the biggest crowd outside the Premier League.

Maybe the problem though is the current financial situation - I don't know. Or maybe again it's just a provincial thing - the glamour of being associated with a big London Club maybe - as Mark E Smith used to day, 'It's Grim Up North!'. Bernie Ecclestone for instance has chosen to invest in QPR, although long term he seems to have his eye on Arsenal - Leeds never seem to attract the same interest!!

Billys Boots

I believe, from what I've heard, that on appeal Leeds are likely to get their 'sentence' of -15 reduced to -10, which would put them back 'in the black' already.

And they still seem to be getting the crowds, so the investment potential must be there.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Ryano

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on September 02, 2007, 04:19:01 PM
Regarding the investment, it's a funny one alright. Like yourself, I would have felt sure that Leeds would be an excellent investment opportunity for some heavy hitter - would be relatively cheap and of course the potential is there - i.e. each home game is normally the biggest crowd outside the Premier League.

Maybe the problem though is the current financial situation - I don't know.

I think its down to the Financial side of it and the way Master Bates is running things Rufus. He will not open the books for some reason to potential investors or indeed those that showed an interest in buying the club. He is obviously out to make a ball of money for himself off it in much the same way he did with Chelsea. The Elland road site is massive (check it out on Google earth) and the potential for development is huge, again much the same as was done with Stamford bridge. Hotels, shops, cinema etc could all be built along with a new stadium and there is a railway track running right along the back of the site along with an excellent road system and motorway just half a mile away. There is money to be made there if someone is smart enough to do it.

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 03, 2007, 12:35:47 PM
I believe, from what I've heard, that on appeal Leeds are likely to get their 'sentence' of -15 reduced to -10, which would put them back 'in the black' already.

And they still seem to be getting the crowds, so the investment potential must be there.

Have not heard that but it would be great news if it were true.

Never had a problem with getting good crowds. They are a very well supported club and when you think about it the only one in the city of Leeds. They had plans back in the days of premiership football to build a 60 000+ seater stadium as there was such a demand for tickets. No need for that nowadays but it might change given a few years....

Denn Forever

Should they not mwait for a while to get the points given back.  It would seem that anger is good.  Did Rotherham have 10 points taken away last season but they finished just above relegation.

As I said anger is serving them well at the moment.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Rufus T Firefly

Make that six out of six!!  ;D  2-0 victory over Hartlepool last Saturday and 3-0 last night at Bristol Rovers - both top six sides, and all five goals scored by Sir Tresor Kandol and Jermaine Beckford.

I didn't realise, but Hartlepool have backing from a Norwegian oil crowd and are going well. They had a lot of the play last week, with the difference being the finishing of Kandol and Beckford. These two could prove to be the difference this season!

longball

Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Datsun Donaghy

QuoteI didn't realise, but Hartlepool have backing from a Norwegian oil crowd and are going well.

Yeah, a few sailors from an oil tanker had a whip around - Europe next year!!

By post - sending them few groats back  ;)

Rufus T Firefly

Seven out of seven - not since Revie's team in 1973/74 - and 30K there to see Leeds at last climb out of the relegation zone - with a goal difference which is six better than the second best goal difference in the league!

So far so good, and most of the games to date seem to be against the teams from the upper reaches of the division. Gillingham away next.

Rufus T Firefly

What goes around comes around. Lost the 100% record on Saturday away to Gillingham, with Kandol and Beckford both sent off, and a rearguard action eventually being breached in the 91st minute.

I thought that game was going to be Leeds' undoing, as both strikers were suspended for the trip to Oldham. As a consequence, Coventry striker Wayne Andrews and Leicester forward Mark De Vries were secured on one-month loan deals, but it was Ian Westlake who came off the bench to strike for a deserved win in the 90th minute!! Now only four points off the play offs, and with Orient's defeat, only nine off the summit!!

Just looking at the league table though, Forest are going smoothly enough with a game in hand - may take some watching!!  :o

stew

What they have done so far is amazing and you even have me checking out football 365 and soccernet for Leeds info Rufus. What a story it would be if they got promoted this year given the ridiculous sanctions imposed on them. The FA are charlatans, they did what they did to leeds and then they let West ham away with murder and sent Sheffield United down last year, effectively hurting them  to the tune  of 30-50 million pounds.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Billys Boots

Quoteonly nine off the summit

I believe Orient are at Elland Road on Saturday - must be another chance to make significant ground.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ONeill

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 03, 2007, 09:10:49 AM
Quoteonly nine off the summit

I believe Orient are at Elland Road on Saturday - .

No they're not.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.