Author Topic: The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread  (Read 42710 times)

Avondhu star

• View Profile
Re: The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread
« Reply #540 on: April 19, 2017, 07:04:11 PM »
Our form recently has been relatively good, and compares well with those around us.

As can be seen by my last post on this thread, I was talking up our recent form, which any self respecting Leeds' fan will know is tantamount to inviting trouble and could be considered a 'schoolboy error'. So it has proved yet again as our form has taken a fall at the worst possible time. Monday's defeat at home to Wolves means four points taken from the last fifteen, and that situation has been exacerbated by the good form of the teams around us. For the first time since November, Leeds have fallen outside the play off places.

It's still very much in Leeds' own hands - away to Burton, home to Norwich and away to Wigan - three victories would almost certainly guarantee a play off spot, and indeed two victories and we'd be in with a good shout, given the fixtures coming up involve matches between our closest rivals. However the recent run of form can't be ignored and suggests at a deeper malaise - the inability to significantly threaten a mid-table, weakened Wolves team suggests to me that the team is feeling the pressure and not reacting well.   :-\   
One point out of fifteen last August wasn't a great help either. The Championship is easy to drop into but hard to get up out of again. The number of derbies doesnt help
We have declared for an Irish Republic. We will live under no other law

BennyHarp

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 19, 2017, 07:51:39 PM »
Our form recently has been relatively good, and compares well with those around us.

As can be seen by my last post on this thread, I was talking up our recent form, which any self respecting Leeds' fan will know is tantamount to inviting trouble and could be considered a 'schoolboy error'. So it has proved yet again as our form has taken a fall at the worst possible time. Monday's defeat at home to Wolves means four points taken from the last fifteen, and that situation has been exacerbated by the good form of the teams around us. For the first time since November, Leeds have fallen outside the play off places.

It's still very much in Leeds' own hands - away to Burton, home to Norwich and away to Wigan - three victories would almost certainly guarantee a play off spot, and indeed two victories and we'd be in with a good shout, given the fixtures coming up involve matches between our closest rivals. However the recent run of form can't be ignored and suggests at a deeper malaise - the inability to significantly threaten a mid-table, weakened Wolves team suggests to me that the team is feeling the pressure and not reacting well.   :-\   

Hopefully Sheff Wed and Fulham won't just need a point each by the time they meet at Hillsborough on the last day. Leeds need to make sure that these two need points off each other then a win at an already demoted Wigan should be enough.
That was never a square ball!!

Mourne Rover

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 19, 2017, 11:21:53 PM »
The performance against Wolves was very disappointing but Monk has shown an ability to lift the squad at pressurised stages all season. There will be points dropped elsewhere among the group chasing play-off places and two wins from the last three games may well get Leeds over the line. If we can beat Burton at the weekend, we will be firmly back in the frame.

Avondhu star

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 20, 2017, 09:04:15 AM »
The performance against Wolves was very disappointing but Monk has shown an ability to lift the squad at pressurised stages all season. There will be points dropped elsewhere among the group chasing play-off places and two wins from the last three games may well get Leeds over the line. If we can beat Burton at the weekend, we will be firmly back in the frame.

If results do go against Leeds I hope that the Directors and owners dont lose faith in Monk. He is a good sound manager and with a bit more experience in the team will get them promoted.

Billys Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 20, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »
To be honest, it isn't a good enough squad to stay in the Premier League (in my view), though there is the argument that the windfall from (even a disastrous year in) the Premier League is how a real squad could be built.  In my small world, I'd like to see a loss in the semi-final play-offs, Monk to stay on and be given a decent budget to buy a quality holding midfielder, a quality attacking midfielder/playmaker, another decent centre-back and an up-and-coming goal-keeper.   
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

shark

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 20, 2017, 04:02:04 PM »
To be honest, it isn't a good enough squad to stay in the Premier League (in my view), though there is the argument that the windfall from (even a disastrous year in) the Premier League is how a real squad could be built.  In my small world, I'd like to see a loss in the semi-final play-offs, Monk to stay on and be given a decent budget to buy a quality holding midfielder, a quality attacking midfielder/playmaker, another decent centre-back and an up-and-coming goal-keeper.   

Very few squads look good enough when they first go up. 1 or 2 clever buys can change the landscape. And it quite often only takes 35 points now to stay up. The "magical 40 point mark" hasn't been needed since the year West Ham last went down.
And even if a club does go straight back down it is still worth it for 1 year. Parachute payments will follow. Leeds could go up this year and finish 17th or better with 80% of their current squad. Equally they could fail to go up (maybe lose a couple of better players to bottom half Premier League teams) and finish in the bottom half of the championship next year. If I was a Leeds fan I'd want them up this year, no matter how ill prepared they may seem.

Billys Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 20, 2017, 04:12:16 PM »
Yeah, that's essentially what Burnley did.  You'd be very reliant on Monk building a good dressing-room and trying to avoid losing the spine of your team after relegation though. 

Mourne Rover

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 20, 2017, 04:25:29 PM »
Posted by: Billys Boots - Today at 02:21:55 PM

Posted by: Shark - Today at 04:02:04 PM

Very few squads look good enough when they first go up. 1 or 2 clever buys can change the landscape. And it quite often only takes 35 points now to stay up. The "magical 40 point mark" hasn't been needed since the year West Ham last went down.
And even if a club does go straight back down it is still worth it for 1 year. Parachute payments will follow. Leeds could go up this year and finish 17th or better with 80% of their current squad. Equally they could fail to go up (maybe lose a couple of better players to bottom half Premier League teams) and finish in the bottom half of the championship next year. If I was a Leeds fan I'd want them up this year, no matter how ill prepared they may seem.

Billy is entitled to point out the need to strengthen the squad but most Leeds fans will agree with Shark. The stand-out figures this season have been the centre backs, Bartley and Jansson, and of course Wood up front. They are already being linked with Premiership clubs, as is the left back Taylor, and the chances of holding on to them if Leeds do not get promotion are slim. If we have to start again in the championship next August with a completely reshaped team, it could easily be back to mid-table mediocrity or worse.

Rufus T Firefly

• Na Clairsigh, Ard Mhacha
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 20, 2017, 05:07:42 PM »
If we have to start again in the championship next August with a completely reshaped team, it could easily be back to mid-table mediocrity or worse.

Would agree with this.

Unfortunately the make up of the squad is very fluid - Bartley and Jannson are both there on loan and there are other loanees as well - Pedraza and Barrow come to mind. That's why it is so important to get promoted, acquire the wealth that comes with it, and start rebuilding the squad in a manner that allows for the possibility of a return to the Championship, i.e. contracts that will see a reduction in pay for players if relegation happens.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Billys Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 21, 2017, 09:18:37 AM »
contracts that will see a reduction in pay for players if relegation happens

Are cheap 'release clauses' not the trade-off for the insertion of such clauses in players' contracts? 

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 21, 2017, 10:11:53 AM »
Newcastle got 72 million even though they were relegated.
The premiership needs a few teams with a bit of history, with all respects to Bournemouth.

"you can try and intimidate us, but f**k youse, we're going to win an All-Ireland anyway"

Rufus T Firefly

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 21, 2017, 11:17:03 AM »
Are cheap 'release clauses' not the trade-off for the insertion of such clauses in players' contracts?

I'll be honest Billy, I'd never thought of that angle. I look though at a club like Burnley who seem to be able to retain players after relegation and keep them in place to mount a fresh promotion challenge. I think it can be done.

Just on another note, very sorry to hear of the passing of former player Ugo Ehiogu who died at the tragically early age of 44. May He Rest In Peace.

Rufus T Firefly

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 22, 2017, 10:36:29 PM »
And that, as they say, is that.

Back to back defeats to extremely average teams - no shots on target in the opening seventy minutes of each game - definite bottle job for me. Only an unlikely series of results will now see a play off place gained. A season that promised so much for so long turns to dust when the finish line was so close.

Very early to speculate but I'd imagine there will be significangt change in personnel between now and August and the chances of getting  a winning combination will be that bit longer.

One more year in the widerness beckons!!   :(

Avondhu star

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 22, 2017, 10:53:02 PM »
And that, as they say, is that.

Back to back defeats to extremely average teams - no shots on target in the opening seventy minutes of each game - definite bottle job for me. Only an unlikely series of results will now see a play off place gained. A season that promised so much for so long turns to dust when the finish line was so close.

Very early to speculate but I'd imagine there will be significangt change in personnel between now and August and the chances of getting  a winning combination will be that bit longer.

One more year in the widerness beckons!!   :(

Keep Monk. Open the chequebook. Gates of 30000 will deliver

seafoid

• View Profile
"you can try and intimidate us, but f**k youse, we're going to win an All-Ireland anyway"