Who is Neil Armstrong?

Started by nrico2006, July 07, 2009, 03:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Came across this article, good read.  No mention of Mr Gorski though!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8133835.stm
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tyrone86

Wasn't he 'the bard of dunclug'?

ziggysego

Saw that article yesterday. Was very good.

Used to follow him on Twitter, in the hope of hearing some interesting moon stories. Never spoke of it.
Testing Accessibility

Minder

The actual programme is on BBC I player
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

lob her in lad

Watched it on iplayer yesterday, very good show and sheds a lot of light on how much pressure and strain was put onto the first moon walkers and astronauts. They were the first global media stars and it was very tough for them. For ten years or so when Armstrong was a uni lecturer he spent an hour or two each morning signing autographs in his office for the public. He finally gave up signing them when he found out people were just selling them and as a result he hasn't signed one in over 20 years.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

ludermor

I thought i read here that he was an actor!!!

lob her in lad

Quote from: ludermor on July 07, 2009, 03:49:48 PM
I thought i read here that he was an actor!!!

That is quite true, he played the back end of a donkey in his schools nativity play one year and a tree the next, very versatile he was.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Hardy

Still and all - you'd expect the BBC to know, wouldn't you?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ziggysego on July 07, 2009, 03:11:05 PM

Used to follow him on Twitter, in the hope of hearing some interesting moon stories. Never spoke of it.

I wonder why that was.... ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 07, 2009, 08:34:01 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on July 07, 2009, 03:11:05 PM

I wonder why that was.... ::)
And if he talked about it non stop you'd wonder why that was  ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tony Baloney

I'm a believer, as the song goes, but I do see Pints point of view that Armstrong's refusal to discuss the moon landing does give credence to the stories of it being faked. Why on earth wouldn't you want to discuss something you've built your entire career around culminating in a momentous event that we're still discussing 40 years later?

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 07, 2009, 10:30:22 PM
I'm a believer, as the song goes, but I do see Pints point of view that Armstrong's refusal to discuss the moon landing does give credence to the stories of it being faked. Why on earth wouldn't you want to discuss something you've built your entire career around culminating in a momentous event that we're still discussing 40 years later?
Maybe he just isn't a gobshite.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gnevin

And every AI winner you know talks non stop about it . A lot of them don't even watch the tapes of the games and would only talk about it if asked .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

lob her in lad

What I got from the doco listening to the other astronauts was the fact that after 40 years they couldn't differenciate between what they actually did or what they have led themselves to believe they did. This was because of the countless interviews they had to give with the same questions being asked over and over. So as time went on they made stuff up to avoid the monotony. Can you imagine how much harder it would be for Armstrong with him being the first man on the moon. I'm sure he would have been in a lot more demand than the rest of them Aldrin included. Apparently he was a very very shy man who lived in the hills with the missus and kids in a house with no electricity or running water.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: tyrone86 on July 07, 2009, 03:08:58 PM
Wasn't he 'the bard of dunclug'?

He's Ballymenas finest space cadet
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w