Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 23, 2017, 10:31:07 PM
Can I go for a jog with a dead leg? Just cause I'm following a training plan.

Best not I'd say, be possible you'd damage something else while compensating with a dead leg!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walter Cronc

Sprained ankle out running this morning. Rolled it on pothole and heard pop. Any idea on length of time out? Swimming and gym i take it best forms of staying fit?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 25, 2017, 12:14:12 PM
Sprained ankle out running this morning. Rolled it on pothole and heard pop. Any idea on length of time out? Swimming and gym i take it best forms of staying fit?

You're getting physio on it I take it? I'd advise you to follow the physios instructions rigidly - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation and as you improve do the exercises religiously. I find walking in the sea quite beneficial for a sprained ankle. The cooling effect of the water alone but possibly the salt and minerals in the sea can help too.

Good luck with the recovery.

mrdeeds

First marathon Saturday morning at 10. Just wondering what to do Friday Saturday morning in terms of diet and prep?

laoislad

BBC 1 tonight 10.45pm a show called Mind Over Marathon.  Follows a group of people who are training for the London Marathon. All of them have different mental health issues and took up running to help with their symptoms.
Looks interesting.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

SHEEDY

Quote from: mrdeeds on April 19, 2017, 03:48:40 PM
First marathon Saturday morning at 10. Just wondering what to do Friday Saturday morning in terms of diet and prep?
plenty of fluids and food on friday and plenty of rest. Good nights sleep and a good breakfast, porridge etc. Good luck with marathon and remember dont go too crazy at the start.
nil satis nisi optimum

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mrdeeds on April 19, 2017, 03:48:40 PM

I'd say plenty rehydration, wouldnt eat heavy foods as to not bulk up and feeling full on race day, friend doing London and shes been told to eat lots of veg and low fiber stuff.. and a carb meal a couple of hours before the race!

What was your prep leading up to this mrdeeds?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lfdown2

What did you eat / drink before your long runs?

Do not eat / drink something new different on the day of the marathon I would say.

dec

Quote from: lfdown2 on April 20, 2017, 02:16:47 PM

Do not eat / drink something new different on the day of the marathon I would say.

This is most important. Focus more on carbs than usual but make sure it is stuff that you previously ate before long runs.

mrdeeds

Quote from: lfdown2 on April 20, 2017, 02:16:47 PM

Two slices of toast and jam, banana and coffee usually before long runs. They were usually in the evening though.

Milltown Row2

Some serious pace by the elite women!!

imtommygunn

This mens race is good. Next 15 minutes interesting.

mrdeeds

The pace they're doing is sick. I struggled yesterday to a 3hr 45.

laoislad

Quote from: mrdeeds on April 23, 2017, 12:00:11 PM
Fair play to you. I'd be delighted with that!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

mrdeeds

Quote from: laoislad on April 23, 2017, 12:33:56 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on April 23, 2017, 12:00:11 PM
Fair play to you. I'd be delighted with that!

Would have loved a sub 3 30 but was my first so bit optimistic. You really feel every niggle in second half. The professionals do theirs at my sprinting pace. Madness.