Author Topic: Running  (Read 300529 times)

SpeculativeEffort

• View Profile
Re: Running
« Reply #5445 on: March 22, 2017, 04:05:10 PM »
I wear the orthodics in all my footwear. Bar my slippers i have on at the minute  8)

I suffer from blisters on arch of foot too. always on the left one more for some reason. But when i run without the orthodics in my runners or boots, i get sore all over, ankles, calves, achilles. so im dammed if i do.. I take the blister option as its lesser of two evils. Compeed blister plasters are my saviour.

Two things.
Physio recently told me nobody should be wearing orthotics long term as the muscles in your feet etc begin to depend on  them and hamstring, calf etc injuries follow. Your body is all linked and if one part isnt doing its part another part is overloaded. Recently reading about barefoot training and the benefits of this for stability and mobility.

Point 2 is a bit more obscure. If u have a blister that burst but skin still attached and have very tender skin underneath then get some superglue and stick the skin flap back to your foot. Did it recently with a v sore blister and worked a treat.

mrdeeds

• View Profile
« Reply #5446 on: March 23, 2017, 09:18:13 PM »
Folks,

Decided to vary my fitness regime for abit and have started running again - before I was just doing the odd kettlebell/circuits class and strength/conditioning session.

Have a 5km race coming up in April and really wanna push for a good time.

To prepare I've started running a 5km route in the last week or so and getting round in about 25/26 mins (I know I could go faster in a race).  Also did a 10 km last night which I finished in 54 mins (defo didn't push myself and felt really comfortable after it).

Should I vary things further by maybe doing a fast 3km or perhaps 7km/8km?

Vary things by doing 400 and 800 metre speed work with rest in between and in 5km runs sometimes add short sprints in by using road signs etc... as a target.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5447 on: March 23, 2017, 09:55:38 PM »
Beautiful night for a run, 13km . So much easier when the weather is like that...
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

mrdeeds

• View Profile
« Reply #5448 on: March 23, 2017, 10:31:07 PM »
Can I go for a jog with a dead leg? Just cause I'm following a training plan.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #5449 on: March 23, 2017, 11:08:00 PM »
Can I go for a jog with a dead leg? Just cause I'm following a training plan.

Best not I'd say, be possible you'd damage something else while compensating with a dead leg!
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5450 on: March 25, 2017, 12:14:12 PM »
Sprained ankle out running this morning. Rolled it on pothole and heard pop. Any idea on length of time out? Swimming and gym i take it best forms of staying fit?

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #5451 on: April 04, 2017, 01:35:09 PM »
Sprained ankle out running this morning. Rolled it on pothole and heard pop. Any idea on length of time out? Swimming and gym i take it best forms of staying fit?

You're getting physio on it I take it? I'd advise you to follow the physios instructions rigidly - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation and as you improve do the exercises religiously. I find walking in the sea quite beneficial for a sprained ankle. The cooling effect of the water alone but possibly the salt and minerals in the sea can help too.

Good luck with the recovery.

mrdeeds

• View Profile
« Reply #5452 on: April 19, 2017, 03:48:40 PM »
First marathon Saturday morning at 10. Just wondering what to do Friday Saturday morning in terms of diet and prep?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:04:11 PM by mrdeeds »

laoislad

• View Profile
« Reply #5453 on: April 20, 2017, 01:41:51 PM »
BBC 1 tonight 10.45pm a show called Mind Over Marathon.  Follows a group of people who are training for the London Marathon. All of them have different mental health issues and took up running to help with their symptoms.
Looks interesting.

SHEEDY

• View Profile
« Reply #5454 on: April 20, 2017, 01:48:32 PM »
First marathon Saturday morning at 10. Just wondering what to do Friday Saturday morning in terms of diet and prep?
plenty of fluids and food on friday and plenty of rest. Good nights sleep and a good breakfast, porridge etc. Good luck with marathon and remember dont go too crazy at the start.
nil satis nisi optimum

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #5455 on: April 20, 2017, 01:55:27 PM »

I'd say plenty rehydration, wouldnt eat heavy foods as to not bulk up and feeling full on race day, friend doing London and shes been told to eat lots of veg and low fiber stuff.. and a carb meal a couple of hours before the race!

What was your prep leading up to this mrdeeds?

lfdown2

• View Profile
« Reply #5456 on: April 20, 2017, 02:16:47 PM »
What did you eat / drink before your long runs?

Do not eat / drink something new different on the day of the marathon I would say.

dec

• View Profile
« Reply #5457 on: April 20, 2017, 02:25:24 PM »

Do not eat / drink something new different on the day of the marathon I would say.

This is most important. Focus more on carbs than usual but make sure it is stuff that you previously ate before long runs.

mrdeeds

• View Profile
« Reply #5458 on: April 20, 2017, 02:55:49 PM »

Two slices of toast and jam, banana and coffee usually before long runs. They were usually in the evening though.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #5459 on: April 23, 2017, 10:23:51 AM »
Some serious pace by the elite women!!