Sad news. RIP Garda Horkan.
A Mayoman from Charlestown.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 10:44:35 AM
Quote from: Hound on June 18, 2020, 10:29:14 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 18, 2020, 08:22:24 AM
Terrible news. RIP and sincere condolences to his family.
Absolutely awful.

With the recent events in America, him having a gun was a complete handicap. Both the Garda and the sc**bag would have realised there's no way the Garda can use a gun on an unarmed man. Once the sc**bag gets it, the rules change.

There would have been protests on the streets had the Garda shot the sc**bag. Especially if the sc**bag turns out to be from a particular community.

Devastating for the family and for the Gardai.

I agree 100%. The poor man was as much a victim of the recent hysteria as of the lowlife who shot him.

"Hysteria"?

Taylor

Seems he was responding to a domestic incident

J70

Absolutely awful.

With the recent events in America, him having a gun was a complete handicap. Both the Garda and the sc**bag would have realised there's no way the Garda can use a gun on an unarmed man. Once the sc**bag gets it, the rules change.

There would have been protests on the streets had the Garda shot the sc**bag. Especially if the sc**bag turns out to be from a particular community.

Yes, it is utterly tragic, but given that there is no history of the Gardai killing unarmed people, why would there be protests?

Cops kill people in the US every day and continue to do so. Vast majority of these pass without any comment. It's when film emerges of some completely unjustifiable killing, along with often no consequences for the cop involved, that public outcry results.

Angelo

It's a terrible tragedy and the Garda was obviously the victim but surely Gardai other than those in armed repsonse units should not be carrying firearms? Particularly when it's in a fairly rural town in a county like Roscommon.

I think this should prompt a look at gun control in relation to Gardai, I think guns are far more likely to inflame a situation than bring control to it.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

five points

Quote from: Angelo on June 18, 2020, 11:09:48 AM
It's a terrible tragedy and the Garda was obviously the victim but surely Gardai other than those in armed repsonse units should not be carrying firearms? Particularly when it's in a fairly rural town in a county like Roscommon.

I think this should prompt a look at gun control in relation to Gardai, I think guns are far more likely to inflame a situation than bring control to it.

Vctim blaming.

Blowitupref

Only detectives are armed in the Garda and apparently Mr Horkan was promoted to the rank of detective only a few months ago. 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on June 18, 2020, 11:01:38 AM
Sad news. RIP Garda Horkan.
A Mayoman from Charlestown.
Reminded me of Morley and Byrne. 2 Mayomen based in Castlerea
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 10:44:35 AM
Absolutely awful.

I agree 100%. The poor man was as much a victim of the recent hysteria as of the lowlife who shot him.

Some weird views in bold here. We don't even know the full facts surrounding this very tragic incident, yet some people are more interested in using the incident to demonstrate their hatred of Travellers or anti-racism protestors.

five points

In your world Sid, everything is hatred. In everyone else's there's a dead Guard and a grieving family and colleagues.

Rossfan

Maybe we could all wait till some facts emerge and out of respect for the man who died before pontificating etc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 11:41:37 AM
In your world Sid, everything is hatred. In everyone else's there's a dead Guard and a grieving family and colleagues.

There is indeed a dead Guard and a grieving family and colleagues.

And your first thought was to use them as a weapon against anti-racism protestors.

Now that's hatred.

Weird, very weird.

Angelo

Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 11:24:44 AM

Vctim blaming.

Nothing to do with victim blaming.

Why was a garda in Roscommon carrying a gun? I'm not blaming the victim here but surely Gardai should be looking at their own policies on firearms. Outside of gangland crime which armed response units already deal with, there is next to no gun crime on this state.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

five points

Quote from: Angelo on June 18, 2020, 11:45:55 AM
Nothing to do with victim blaming.

Why was a garda in Roscommon carrying a gun?
I'm not blaming the victim here but surely Gardai should be looking at their own policies on firearms. Outside of gangland crime which armed response units already deal with, there is next to no gun crime on this state.

The irony.

five points

Quote from: sid waddell on June 18, 2020, 11:45:51 AM
Quote from: five points on June 18, 2020, 11:41:37 AM

There is indeed a dead Guard and a grieving family and colleagues.

And your first thought was to use them as a weapon against anti-racism protestors.

Now that's hatred.

Weird, very weird.

No, its you who are weird. And obsessed, so badly that most people here no longer even react to your garbage.