Beer....

Started by 5 Sams, November 21, 2008, 09:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 19, 2015, 01:59:21 PM
Quote from: 50fiftyball on November 19, 2015, 01:57:08 PM
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, either in bottle or draft, absolutely heavenly on the tastebuds.

Bud Light I also enjoy.

Shocktop (Belgian) with a thin slice of orange on top is also divine.

Probably my favourite beer as well.
I don't see it too often on draft, but a lot of off licenses are starting to stock it.

Great beer, the standard bearer of American Pale Ales. My default beer in the US, as its powerful and widely available.

Their draft is maltier, and also keg conditioned so fairly unlikely you'll see it on draft in Ireland, unless they open a brewery on that side of the pond....

Puckoon

Sierra is alright. Plenty of great PAs and IPAs to choose from at the minute.

Hop House 13 was a bit bland I felt, but seems to be selling great.

Jell 0 Biafra

Goose Island and Captain Lawrence also make very good IPAs.  Have to go easy drinking that stuff, though, it's very strong.  Been caught out a couple of times on sessions with that.

omaghjoe

Anyone heading to the Belfast Beer festival in the Ulster Hall?

snoopdog

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 19, 2015, 05:16:38 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 19, 2015, 01:59:21 PM
Quote from: 50fiftyball on November 19, 2015, 01:57:08 PM
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, either in bottle or draft, absolutely heavenly on the tastebuds.

Bud Light I also enjoy.

Shocktop (Belgian) with a thin slice of orange on top is also divine.

Probably my favourite beer as well.
I don't see it too often on draft, but a lot of off licenses are starting to stock it.

Great beer, the standard bearer of American Pale Ales. My default beer in the US, as its powerful and widely available.

Their draft is maltier, and also keg conditioned so fairly unlikely you'll see it on draft in Ireland, unless they open a brewery on that side of the pond....

I think the brew house opposite  Connolly st in Dublin have it on tap. Anyone confirm this?

Tony Baloney

I had a pint or two of a root beer in the US over the summer. An acquired taste but seemed to be popular. I think it was called Not Your Father's Root Beer. Hard to whack a Yuengling in the heat.

5 Sams

Have to agree about the Hophouse...very acceptable...will continue to drink it in establishments where I know the stout is shite...(you know who you are big hotels...) Best pint is still Arthur in a good house. Such as Bawn's in Dingle and the Harps in Ballyholland. (Nod to the Bosco in Newry as well.)
The Aristocrat Years

50fiftyball

Omaghjoe yeah only time I've had draft was in the states. They do a "torpedo" version in bottle if i'm not mistaken? Althought I'm not sure what it is. It's hard to get Sierra here in off licenses, tescos are the only ones I know and they keep very low stock - 8 bottles on shelf!!  :o

I mind in San francisco they had Anchor brew or anchor steam, wasn't fond of it at all.

That Galway Hooker is nice when I get it down south (no pun intended  :P )

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: 50fiftyball on November 20, 2015, 10:36:10 AM
Omaghjoe yeah only time I've had draft was in the states. They do a "torpedo" version in bottle if i'm not mistaken? Althought I'm not sure what it is. It's hard to get Sierra here in off licenses, tescos are the only ones I know and they keep very low stock - 8 bottles on shelf!!  :o

I mind in San francisco they had Anchor brew or anchor steam, wasn't fond of it at all.

That Galway Hooker is nice when I get it down south (no pun intended  :P )

A few of the local centra shops with off licences also stock it, or you could try some of the better independent ones like vineyard on ormeau road
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

TheOptimist

When working in the town Plzen in Czech Republic a few years back I had some of their local Pilsner Urquell beers. This is the original Pilsner/Pills beer and was damned beautiful and apparently inspired two thirds of the worlds beers.

Enjoy the Hop House also. There is something about it.

Had a Brew Dog recently, think its a London brew, very nice fruity ( ;) ) beer.

What do people think of Kilkenny? I've only ever had it in Norway ironically

illdecide

I'm not going to read through 40 pages to see if it has been mentioned...but have any of you tried "Castle" beer? South African beer i think as thats where i got it but do you think when you're in a warm country and someone serves you up a cold beer anything would taste nice?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

AZOffaly

Quote from: illdecide on November 20, 2015, 11:38:02 AM
I'm not going to read through 40 pages to see if it has been mentioned...but have any of you tried "Castle" beer? South African beer i think as thats where i got it but do you think when you're in a warm country and someone serves you up a cold beer anything would taste nice?

I think there's an element of truth in that. It's the holiday feeling. I'm sure your taste buds get affected by it as well. I loved drinking Sagres and Super Bock in Portugal. I'd probably use it to clean toilets in Ireland.

laoislad

Quote from: illdecide on November 20, 2015, 11:38:02 AM
No. Heineken would still taste like piss.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

blewuporstuffed

A few of my favourites at the minute

Kinnegar- Rust bucket
sierra Nevada- pale ale
einstock- icelandic ale
the master mcgraths stout & red ale are pretty good too
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

50fiftyball

Superbock would blow the head clean off ye!!! brings back memories from a lads holiday in albufeira  ;D ;D