Gaillimh v Ciarraí, Cluiche Ceathrú-Ceannais na hÉireann, Páirc a'Chrócaigh

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 29, 2014, 09:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

All those players from the U21 winning teams do not just disappear. Galway as I keep saying are imo anyway the one county everyone should fear due to the surgical way they can strike when least expected.

mouview

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on July 29, 2014, 10:05:35 PM
I bet ye wish ye spent that time learning a language that was actually useful.
Sí teanga an úsáideach an Ghaeilge más rud é nach bhfuil tusa in ann páirt a thógáil sa díospóireacht. ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Canalman on July 30, 2014, 09:12:48 AM
All those players from the U21 winning teams do not just disappear. Galway as I keep saying are imo anyway the one county everyone should fear due to the surgical way they can strike when least expected.

I liked what I saw from Galway on Saturday and I agree with CM their forwards were very clinical. Yet to be convinced by Kerry, listened to their game against Clare on the radio and it was a very disjointed performance, while they dismantled Cork, Cork were absolutely awful. To me Galway have a better set of forwards and only O'Donoghue would be nailed on to start, Declan O'Sullivan while excellent against Cork played a withdrawn role and was given far much time on the ball by a lifeless Cork. Their middle 8 worked very hard and won a lot of ball, Maher and Buckley are a good partnership and I like Buckley but he tends to fade in and out of games. If Galway can get parity here and get an early lead and draw Kerry's blanket defence out and turn the game into a shoot-out and man on man ala Dublin with Galway's and a serious goal threat you'd never know. Kerry do have the experience and as a friend of mine says "Tradition never graduates" but Galway to me are very much the coming team and sometimes a coming team are just awaiting the right moment to announce themselves, Sunday could be that day.
#newbridgeornowhere

Maroon Manc

The majority are expecting a comfortable win for Kerry including me but there is the element of unknown about how good Kerry are given that performance by Cork the last day.

I'm very worried how Galway will cope with O'Donoghue, given Galway's previous 2 games its safe to say he'll post a big score.

On an individual level I don't think there's a big a gap as others have suggested with one poster only claiming 2 Galway players would make a joint team, the likes of Hanley & Bradshaw have the quality to have made Kerry teams whilst the likes of Moore, Varley, FOC, Flynn, Lundy & Cummins are progressing at a good rate and these are the games which could enhance a players reputation.

Collectively though its obvious there is a gap between the sides, we've conceded 7 goals in 2 matches although its hard to judge the last 25 minutes against Tipp considering we went 14 points clear. We've not seen anything to date to suggest that were able to tighten up at the back, all the evidence points to a comfortable Kerry win.

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on July 30, 2014, 08:55:50 AM

Your MEP in 2011

Roscommon & South Leitrim has massive
potential to increase its share of tourism revenue
which in 2010 stood at €52 million. This pales
into insignificance when compared to the €430
million that Galway earns

Gaeltacht makes Galway what it is .  Worth at least 52 million annually.

To be fair apart from Irish language summer camps the tourists are coming to gawk at Connemara and the ocean and not Irish speakers.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2014, 12:58:51 PM

Your MEP in 2011

To be fair apart from Irish language summer camps the tourists are coming to gawk at Connemara and the ocean and not Irish speakers.
Galway has an atmosphere that Ros will never have again . A lot of the arts stuff is inspired by the bilingual side of things. 2 cultures.
Ros is very monotonous.

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on July 30, 2014, 01:01:22 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2014, 12:58:51 PM

Your MEP in 2011

Galway has an atmosphere that Ros will never have again . A lot of the arts stuff is inspired by the bilingual side of things. 2 cultures.
Ros is very monotonous.

A fearsome literary reputation alright. Now adapted into a 'major' RTE detective series in the Glenroe timeslot on Sundays.

I'll stick with the finest river in the land, thanks. And the fada botherers would have been fairly fecked if we hadn't given them ould Dougie Hyde..

From the Bunker

Ah, you have to love myths. Galway have had one good set of players 1996-2002 in 50 years! Jez you'd swear they you'd swear they had team coming out of the woodwork every decade the way you are talking! As for the Myth of Galway always doing well in AI finals they lost 3 in 4 years in the 70's. And lost to 12 Dubs in the 80's. They have not beaten Kerry or Dublin in a long time. Granted they are a great Football county have produced some fabulous players, but they have their sh1te eras as well as the rest of us. Have some perspective!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 30, 2014, 01:43:00 PM

Ah, you have to love myths. Galway have had one good set of players 1996-2002 in 50 years! Jez you'd swear they you'd swear they had team coming out of the woodwork every decade the way you are talking! As for the Myth of Galway always doing well in AI finals they lost 3 in 4 years in the 70's. And lost to 12 Dubs in the 80's. They have not beaten Kerry or Dublin in a long time. Granted they are a great Football county have produced some fabulous players, but they have their sh1te eras as well as the rest of us. Have some perspective!

In fairness we've won 7 of the last 8 All-Ireland finals we've contested at all levels. ;D

I wouldn't say we've had one good team in the past 50 years though. One great side maybe but we've had some good (and very bad teams) since. The early 70's side was a very good team that just couldn't get over the hump in the finals. The early 80's side was a good team although one that probably won't be remembered all that fondly due to 83. The 95 team came close to reaching an All-Ireland final.

We've certainly had some crap sides in between though. Late 80's early 90's in particular and the late 2000's until a couple of years ago another.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 30, 2014, 01:43:00 PM

in 47 years.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 30, 2014, 10:49:36 AM

I liked what I saw from Galway on Saturday and I agree with CM their forwards were very clinical. Yet to be convinced by Kerry, listened to their game against Clare on the radio and it was a very disjointed performance, while they dismantled Cork, Cork were absolutely awful. To me Galway have a better set of forwards and only O'Donoghue would be nailed on to start, Declan O'Sullivan while excellent against Cork played a withdrawn role and was given far much time on the ball by a lifeless Cork. Their middle 8 worked very hard and won a lot of ball, Maher and Buckley are a good partnership and I like Buckley but he tends to fade in and out of games. If Galway can get parity here and get an early lead and draw Kerry's blanket defence out and turn the game into a shoot-out and man on man ala Dublin with Galway's and a serious goal threat you'd never know. Kerry do have the experience and as a friend of mine says "Tradition never graduates" but Galway to me are very much the coming team and sometimes a coming team are just awaiting the right moment to announce themselves, Sunday could be that day.

Some man to judge a game based on a radio commentary!
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Syferus

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 30, 2014, 04:49:07 PM

Judging them on their team sheet doesn't look much better to be fair. Galway probably won't win but this Kerry team is perfectly capable of having a 'mare. If it develops into a score fest most of Galway's weaknesses will be papered over.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2014, 04:58:14 PM

Judging them on their team sheet doesn't look much better to be fair.

Who is judging anyone based on a teamsheet? Your rapid response to some of my posts is getting a bit creepy aswell..try giving it 5 mins or so to soak in next time.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Syferus

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 30, 2014, 05:03:53 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2014, 04:58:14 PM

Judging them on their team sheet doesn't look much better to be fair.

Who is judging anyone based on a teamsheet? Your rapid response to some of my posts is getting a bit creepy aswell..try giving it 5 mins or so to soak in next time.

Someone's a little tetchy today.