Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Jim Bob on July 21, 2023, 12:04:03 AM
Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on July 20, 2023, 11:10:29 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on July 17, 2023, 07:51:48 PM
I think 1 AI in three years and remaining in Div 1 throughout that time  - gives enough credit in bank.
It will be a bit of a rebuild job regardless of who is in the hot seat.

On the surface that looks very good and well worth another term. In reality after year one - and winning that AI was a magnificent effort - Tyrone have been a mess and regressed massively. I could accept a couple of mediocre seasons in other circumstances but there has been no sign of any cohesive plan unfortunately and the team has under performed hugely given the quality of player available. Sorry to say it but I don't see any evidence at all to suggest the current management team deserve more time.

Blasé BS. Why don't you get down to the soecific of why the management are to blame and not the players.
You talk about quality of players.
Should  they have won an All Ireland this year  under different management ?
Should players have been played in different positions}
Should other players have been played iand where? 
Tell us why we didn't win the All Ireland this year

I didn't expect Tyrone to win an All Ireland this year. I did hope to see a well organised team compared to the shambles of last year, a team that would compete well in league and championship. We all know the talent is there and if Tyrone play as they can then they can give any team in the country a game. Instead it was much the same as last year, listless and no obvious gameplan. The only two real positive performances were Kerry in the league and Donegal in the Championship, and Donegal were a mess. We lost in the first round of Ulster from a position of strength. Galway I'll excuse as Frank Burns sold the jerseys. Armagh we almost threw away against 14 men, from a position of strength. Westmeath was a very lucky escape, again when the game was effectively won a few minutes earlier. Then Donegal which gave some false hope, then an embarrassing collapse against Kerry.

You can blame the players if you want, perhaps some did indeed lack the same desire. There was a lack of leadership on the field at times and too often it fell to Mattie Donnelly in particular and a couple of notable others to provide that. Management didn't help on occasion by replacing these leaders with rookies at key times. Even knackered leaders had more to offer in seeing out games. But others on the field need to step up. Ultimately however, it's the responsibility of the management to prepare the team, provide leadership and ensure they get something close to the best out of the players they have at their disposal. Tyrone the last two years were considerably less than the sum of their parts. We didn't expect All Irelands but we didn't expect a string of shambolic performances either. If you believe this was acceptable then fair enough but I'm yet to see anybody make a credible case for the management team getting another chance based on how poor Tyrone have been post 2021. Have a shot if you want and be as specific as you like.

As for the point about Darragh, it's utterly moronic to think he was going to say anything else.

Jim Bob

Good to see that you recognise that it wasn't just a management problem

LeoMc

Quote from: Jim Bob on July 22, 2023, 03:05:47 PM
Good to see that you recognise that it wasn't just a management problem
Good to see you recognise that Management are a part of the problem.

Jim Bob

Great to know that we have some outstanding candidates ,who post here , for the job if indeed they decide to step down.
A few men on here know the problem and how it can be solved. Hopefully one of them will take over and we can all look forward to glorious days in Croke Park. Armchair experts 🙄🙄🙄

rrhf

Agreed. Probably have photos on their fridge with their arms around them less than 2 years ago..

square_ball

The logic of the previous 2 posts is certainly interesting to say the least.

It's a discussion board. People are allowed to express an opinion aren't they?

Goals_Will_Come

Paul Devlin also looking another 3 years with the Under 20s. 2023 has to be one of the most disappointing years ever for Tyrone in that Minor U20 and Senior all had years to forget. Freshening up of management at all 3 levels would do no harm. Especially with the crop at U20 level for the next two years being all those involved with the successful schools teams - vital for Tyrone seniors future that the U20s are handled correctly to bring through these players.

sam03/05

Both management teams have won AI titles in the last three years. Both deserve to stay on if they wish, with maybe come new coaches in

HokeyPokey

I wouldn't be completely opposed to them staying on. They're both intelligent and determined fellas. They obviously believe they can get Tyrone going.  They've done it which very few can say.

That said, if they do stay, I would expect that the board, the management and players have a full and honest examination of what's been going wrong, what needs to improve and what needs to be shaken up. There's enough talent in Tyrone that we should be competitive and winning all Irelands regularly. There mustn't be drift. Also questions must be asked why so many talented players are dropping off the panel and if it's something than can be helped or is it just players don't fancy it (which is understandable given the commitment required), would allowing the more peripheral members to play club help keep them on board?

tyroneman

Winning an AI in your first year shouldn't mean a 6 year stretch in management with no questions asked. Any serious County, like Kerry or Dublin, would not allow that in this era.

There has to be upward progression and what we've seen to date after 2021 has been regression and stagnation.

If there is some root and branch review of what went wrong and a valid plan for making it better then OK, maybe 1-2 years to implement with a break option at 1 year if things stay the same.

Harte had them knocking on the door and there is definitely a  question around whether a few small tweaks and different voices tipped that team over the edge.

2 subsequent years of D&L being able to implement thier own system / ideology and shape a back room team has been very disappointing so far.

RedHand88

Never should have got rid of Harte.

NotedObserver

I would say in most professional sports the managers would be gone?

Would love to see them return and be successful but not convinced since the AI win

An Watcher

2 good fellas but was this year not their second chance.  Imagine sitting this time next year with the same sh1t and having 2 more years of that sh1t to look forward too.  Honestly can't see where this team are going. No disgrace in losing to kerry at croker but the manner of the defeat was especially disappointing.  There is a long list of poor enough performances   and very few bright spots.  At the same time if there's no one else what do you do

tyrone08

Surprised they want to stay on. I wouldn't really be keen on them staying. This year they should have shown some improvement from last year however it never happened. Bar staying in division 1 we didn't achieve anything. Never even put in a solid 70 min game.

For years Tyrone suffered from managers not being ruthless enough and dropping under performing players. A dublin or Kerry manager wouldn't tolerate 2 very poor years. They would have been trying new players or a new system, not the same shit.

If they are too stay on they need to change the backroom team and get some fresh thinking in.