Dublin v Kerry 2023 Senior All Ireland final

Started by Blowitupref, July 16, 2023, 07:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

statto

Quote from: Real Talk on August 02, 2023, 03:31:55 PM
Quote from: statto on August 01, 2023, 01:26:31 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on August 01, 2023, 12:00:44 PM
A lot of ifs and buts in the last page or so around who could have done better this year and who is in contention next year.

Next year is a new year and no doubt every team will have new issues and challenges. Teams will have saw how the new group type format panned out and perhaps approach next year differently so that could bring a whole different complexion to the championship.

After last year, I had Galway as serious contenders this year, but a few key injuries and a couple of flat performances meant they have dropped back again. Who knows what they will be next year. I wouldn't rule them out, but I also think they will find it more difficult to progress as the likes of Derry, Roscommon, Monaghan and Cork have all improved this year.

Derry could be in the same boat as Galway next year. No idea on the seriousness of the injury to McKinless for example. If we lose him to injury, or Rogers or McGuigan....the outlook for the year would be entirely different. If we keep everyone fit, sort out the management situation and find a consistent forward or 2 to support mcguigan then there's an AI there I feel. I think had we been able to get over the line against Kerry, we'd have pushed Dublin harder than Kerry did. But that might be oak leaf tinted glasses - just my opinion. From what I saw in the SF and Final, Derry are better than Kerry. Yes that's controversial perhaps, but it's what I think based on those games. Division 1 will be good for Derry next year and set them up better for a tilt at the AI - provided we stay injury free.

Mayo - had their chance again this year. Only positive they can take from it is that Dublin went on to win. Not sure what sort of prospect they will be next year.

Roscommon - I just can't see it. Hard to beat, very strong at home but lack a bit of quality.

Cork - might be a surprise package next year. They have improved immensely over the course of this year. Who knows what they will do next year under a very astute manager.

Tyrone - I think they are done with the current crop. The players who were there for the AI in 2 years ago are well past their best. The 2 canavan lads will undoubtedly form the core part of their attacking play going forward. Management apparently looking to stay on for another 3 years - which for me would be a mistake. I think they need to rebuild. Short term goals would be to become competitive in Ulster again.

Monaghan - too many of the key players are over a certain age. Injuries are bound to come into play and speed too. They won't just drop away, but I also don't see them winning an AI.  A SF might be as far as they can go with this crop, but nothing wrong with that. Puts them top 4 in the country which is impressive given the population of the county in comparison to some others.

Armagh - just don't buy into the hype around them. The much lauded forward division is no-where near the quality of Dublin/Kerry/Derry/Galway/Tyrone. They are a big physical team too focused on being hard men than playing football. But.....if they didn't play that way they probably wouldn't win half as many games so I guess you play to your strengths. Realistically, in with a decent shout in Ulster next year, but not in the race for Sam at all. McGeeney might well be getting the best out of these players right now with the system he plays.

Then you still have Kerry and Dublin.
Dublin might start the rebuilding process, possibly a number of retirements. Even if that doesnt happen, I still feel they are beatable now and not at that same level of 6 in a row.
Kerry are certainly beatable but still impressive too. Defensively much better than years gone by, but a little inconsistent in attack. They have a really good age profile though and will probably improve year on year for the
They did push them hard the game was level 3 minutes into added time and Kerry were 3 up at 2 different stages of second half. 

Loughlin/Toner wouldn't start on any other division 1 team.  Derry forward line would be well behind most of these other teams also.  McGuigan is as good as their is about but don't really have another go to forward.  McFaul, Cassidy, Doherty are all good players in own right but wouldn't be relying on them to weigh in with 3 or 4 points every day. 

Given that that Derry play a game system where when they have the ball every one attacks and when the haven't the ball everyone defends - when your'e at the the game it is only then that you appreciate that ( when they defend) how much ground that particularly Loughlin, Toner and Paul Cassidy cover when tracking back which means theyr'e not going to be in the scoring "D zone " as often when the transition to attacking mode happens. 
Derry maximise the team effort consistently to great effect but it requires a high level of fitness.  I'm sure you will have noticed that Loughlin and Toner are mostly taken off after 60ish mins and replaced with Herron and Murray

Dublin operated similarly in the AI final but players like Basquel and Mannion are still contributing significantly in the attacking third.  If you look back at the semi final vs Kerry Toner has a goal chance that a more ruthless forward finishes and Loughlin misses a key chance for a score when game is in melting point(think Derry were possibly 1 up).  You could argue that they are took off because they are tired or equally argue that they are of less quality than the other 4 forwards so are taken off. 

Qwerty28

Anyone have any stats on most posessions of the ball?
Just watched it back, Kilkenny must have had 30+ touches, all be it kicked it about twice, got his hands on a lot of ball and usually kept things moving.

74 minutes gone, sides level, Dublin got the break with the shot parried by the keeper...not sure how Mannion got MotM, had 2 poor wides in 2nd half.

marty34

Quote from: Qwerty28 on August 03, 2023, 11:12:39 PM
Just watched it back, Kilkenny must have had 30+ touches, all be it kicked it about twice, got his hands on a lot of ball and usually kept things moving.

74 minutes gone, sides level, Dublin got the break with the shot parried by the keeper...not sure how Mannion got MotM, had 2 poor wides in 2nd half.

Probably, in a low scoring enough game, he got 5 pts including 4 pts from play.

Hound

Quote from: Qwerty28 on August 03, 2023, 11:12:39 PM

Mannion scored 5 points, 4 from play, so that's an excellent strike rate and many of them long range. The free he scored when McCaffrey had scored but the ref pulled it way back because he was playing 'advantage' was the most important score of the match, and the kick under most pressure, in my opinion. Dublin really needed a score at that stage after Kerry had scored 3 in a row. We regained the momentum and never let it back.

Having watched it back twice, Fenton, Cluxton, Howard and Mannion were the players who contributed most over the course of the match, with many others playing very well in patches. But Mannion deserving man of the match.