Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddog

Absolutely disgusted that what went on at the Lamh Dhearg game has been brushed over. The powers at be better throw the book at the country club and player. Only put on about five statuses in 4 years but horrified

Minder

Quote from: btdtgtt on April 20, 2014, 05:35:31 PM
Decent exciting game if not exactly championship quality there at sarsfields.
Incredible result against the cushendall reserves!
The team cushendall fielded is not sarsfields problem and fair play to them on a great win!
Some terrible stuff shouted from "supporters" should not tarnish some great effort on the pitch.

You have changed your tune last year !   ;)
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

reddog

Lamh dhearg player was left blind in one eye , eye ruptured by opponent hitting him with but of stick through viser.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Minder on April 21, 2014, 10:26:01 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on April 20, 2014, 05:35:31 PM
Decent exciting game if not exactly championship quality there at sarsfields.
Incredible result against the cushendall reserves!
The team cushendall fielded is not sarsfields problem and fair play to them on a great win!
Some terrible stuff shouted from "supporters" should not tarnish some great effort on the pitch.

You have changed your tune last year !   ;)

Ooops! You got me!
Yes I completely contradicted myself!
Maybe it's because I think sarsfields still will go down no matter - of maybe it's city bias!
So it doesn't affect "the integrity of the league".
But either way - mea culpa!
Wouldn't like to owe you money minder!

Last Man

Quote from: reddog on April 21, 2014, 10:43:14 AM
Lamh dhearg player was left blind in one eye , eye ruptured by opponent hitting him with but of stick through viser.
I hope that poor lad sues the perpetrator nevermind him being banned for life as he should be. Sickening!! Someone loosing their house might calm one or two down.

Minder

So were Lamh Dhearg playing Glenarm?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on April 21, 2014, 01:10:47 PM
So were Lamh Dhearg playing Glenarm?
Yes in Glenarm I think.

Glensman

Quote from: Last Man on April 21, 2014, 12:59:06 PM
I hope that poor lad sues the perpetrator nevermind him being banned for life as he should be. Sickening!! Someone loosing their house might calm one or two down.

Couldn't agree more. This might be the seriously unfortunate incident that goes the full way that shows that there is no place for sheer unadulterated violence on the hurling/Gaelic field. Now I wasn't at the match nor did I see the incident but if it was with the butt and some poor fella has been blinded he deserves to do time as well as be taken for damages.

Too many still go out on the field with an agenda/chip on their shoulders rather than buy into what a privilege it should feel like representing your club/community.

Throw the book at the perpetrator.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Glensman on April 21, 2014, 11:33:09 PM

Couldn't agree more. This might be the seriously unfortunate incident that goes the full way that shows that there is no place for sheer unadulterated violence on the hurling/Gaelic field. Now I wasn't at the match nor did I see the incident but if it was with the butt and some poor fella has been blinded he deserves to do time as well as be taken for damages.

Too many still go out on the field with an agenda/chip on their shoulders rather than buy into what a privilege it should feel like representing your club/community.

Agree with all of this if it was a deliberate strike. Are there any first hand reports?

imtommygunn

I think there's a big story on this in county antrim post tomorrow.

paddyjohn

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 21, 2014, 11:54:30 PM
I think there's a big story on this in county antrim post tomorrow.

I'll take it as gospel if it's printed by that rag.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Glensman on April 21, 2014, 11:33:09 PM

I agree. If what we are lead to believe was true then it has nothing to do with hurling - it was common assault.

Apparently so

I was told a version of events from a neutral who was at the game. According to him, Lamh Dearg were playing very dirty and doing a serious amount of mouthing throughout the game. The player who got the eye injury was playing very dirty on the Glenarm lad who ended up eventually retaliating. The Glenarm player was apparently being struck by the hurl off the ball constantly and an attempted headbutt as well. I'm not excusing the strike to the eye because it sounds a rough one but according to this lad who told the story, there was only so much shite Glenarm could put up with until there was some sort of retaliation. Before the strike to the eye occured, there was a scuffle and one Glenarm lad almost had his ear pulled off him. Its apparently a very serious injury as well

Again, I'm not excusing anything here but there is always something with the city teams. The majority of them are dirty, mouthing bastards and there are always going to be incidents like this until they stop playing such f**king dirty hurling. U16 final last year? It needs to be clamped down. Glenarm are no angels either but its funny how all the country teams can play good hard hurling against each other but that just isn't possible against the city teams

manballandall

A very broad accusation there against all city teams

Apparently so

I'm not accusing all city teams. There are a few who can hurl away. Good, hard hurling and clean but the majority in my experience are just mouths and only out to play as dirty as they possibly can. The likes of St Galls and Rossa can hurl away and no problems at all but the rest just can't handle it