The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: StGallsGAA on September 10, 2017, 01:06:53 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 09, 2017, 10:56:31 PM
Quote from: Mickey Linden on September 09, 2017, 10:13:00 PM
Someone said that was biggest defeat in Liverpool's history???
Lost 6-1 to Stoke a few years ago.

Noooo!  Liverpool fans try to airbrush that one as it was Stevie Me's last game!  The ultimate humiliation to crown a career underpinned by failure in the only league that matters!   ;D ;D

Steven Gerrard was one of the most unselfish players in English football history, I for one am delighted he never won a EPL title but to mention failure in connection with this legendary player is ridiculous and downright stupid! And that from a United fan.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on September 10, 2017, 08:53:30 AM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on September 10, 2017, 01:06:53 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 09, 2017, 10:56:31 PM
Quote from: Mickey Linden on September 09, 2017, 10:13:00 PM
Someone said that was biggest defeat in Liverpool's history???
Lost 6-1 to Stoke a few years ago.

Noooo!  Liverpool fans try to airbrush that one as it was Stevie Me's last game!  The ultimate humiliation to crown a career underpinned by failure in the only league that matters!   ;D ;D

At least Stevie stuck with his home club and didn't run off seeking medals anywhere else StGallsGAA!!!!!  ;)

So the transfer request when he wanted to join Chelsea in 2005 didn't happen then? 

The club then threw the kitchen sink to keep him at post CL 2005 and in the next 10 years he delivered zilch!

TabClear

Only just got round to watching the "highlights" of the City game. Really poor even before the red card. By the laws of the game it was a red but does seem a harsh rule.

That ended it as a contest but it was worrying how open Liverpool were down the middle. Assuming a 3 match ban for Mane its time for Couthino to mend a few bridges!

Mikhailov

Henderson is not worth a starting place. Poor in possession, gives it away too easily as he thinks he is stevie G. Offers no protection to the back line and nothing going forward.....

Should have tried to sign Sanchez from Bayern or Drinkwater as they at least are decent at protecting the back 4 - Henderson is just poor at all facets of midfield play !!!

Syferus

Quote from: TabClear on September 10, 2017, 06:27:01 PM
Only just got round to watching the "highlights" of the City game. Really poor even before the red card. By the laws of the game it was a red but does seem a harsh rule.

That ended it as a contest but it was worrying how open Liverpool were down the middle. Assuming a 3 match ban for Mane its time for Couthino to mend a few bridges!

I can't see how a boot to the face is a harsh red. Klopp made a tool out of himself trying to defend Mane after the match. Football managers have zero perspective.

TabClear

Quote from: Syferus on September 10, 2017, 07:03:48 PM

I can't see how a boot to the face is a harsh red. Klopp made a tool out of himself trying to defend Mane after the match. Football managers have zero perspective.

Because it's clear that Mane was trying to nick the ball and had o only eyes for the ball. 

StGallsGAA

Quote from: TabClear on September 10, 2017, 08:24:50 PM

Because it's clear that Mane was trying to nick the ball and had o only eyes for the ball.
...but if a City player had done the same to Mignolet, Klopp would be foaming at the mouth as usual screaming for a red card.   Very clear alright!   ;)

TabClear

Quote from: StGallsGAA on September 10, 2017, 08:28:59 PM

...but if a City player had done the same to Mignolet, Klopp would be foaming at the mouth as usual screaming for a red card.   Very clear alright!   ;)

That's right.  If only everyone was  as unbiased and balanced as you.... ::)

Syferus

What the fück does it matter what his intent was? It's dangerous play whatever mini-skirt you try to dress it in. Show your studs, pay the price.

TabClear

Quote from: Syferus on September 10, 2017, 09:19:59 PM

What the fück does it matter what his intent was? It's dangerous play whatever mini-skirt you try to dress it in. Show your studs, pay the price.

How many attempted overhead kicks will we see this year in the box that go unpunished except for a free kick? Should every one of those be a red card if there is a players head in the vicinity?

As I say I think the rule is harsh (but not the application of it in this instance)  The highlights show I watched had 3 former players that had the same opinion. You clearly have a different view. That's fine.

screenexile

Quote from: TabClear on September 10, 2017, 09:30:58 PM

How many attempted overhead kicks will we see this year in the box that go unpunished except for a free kick? Should every one of those be a red card if there is a players head in the vicinity?

As I say I think the rule is harsh (but not the application of it in this instance)  The highlights show I watched had 3 former players that had the same opinion. You clearly have a different view. That's fine.

If you try an overhead kick and knock someone out you deserve the red!!

Red all day long I don't know how it can be argued otherwise. I don't doubt that he didn't mean it but he took a gamble he would get the ball and not connect with the keeper even if he did get the ball first it's still a red.

There's a reason there are files about dangerous play and if your foot is raised 5-6ft in the air and connects with someone's head then you deserve to be sent off!

JohnDenver

No real point to make, but the incident reminded me of this. Enjoy.  ;D

TabClear

Quote from: screenexile on September 10, 2017, 10:31:47 PM
Quote from: TabClear on September 10, 2017, 09:30:58 PM

If you try an overhead kick and knock someone out you deserve the red!!

Red all day long I don't know how it can be argued otherwise. I don't doubt that he didn't mean it but he took a gamble he would get the ball and not connect with the keeper even if he did get the ball first it's still a red.

There's a reason there are files about dangerous play and if your foot is raised 5-6ft in the air and connects with someone's head then you deserve to be sent off!

This is probably my point Screen, is whether the rule only takes into account actual contact, or  is the player adjudged to have not endangered the opponent if they just miss their opponents head?  The rule states

A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play. A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

The first part of the rule is subjective and I think Mane would be unlucky to be adjudged to have been sent off on that alone as I dont think there was excessive force or brutality. The second is pretty clear cut. My query is though, if you take the overhead kick scenario and someone tries an overhead  with another player's heads in the vicinity would the striker get a red? I dont think so but if you apply the rule to the letter of the law (and again, I think it was in Mane's case!) a lot of them probably should be?

p.s. Thanks JohnDenver, that brightened up my morning!

Milltown Row2

Was both his feet off the ground and showing studs?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea