Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: trailer on November 20, 2018, 10:21:19 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 20, 2018, 09:47:42 AM
Quote from: trailer on November 20, 2018, 09:26:06 AM
It's now a massive game of Political Chicken.
Crucially, the DUP haven't pulled their confidence and supply arrangement yet. So do they Vote against this Brexit plan, risk the Government failing and a no deal brexit or even a no brexit at all.
Could May try and call an Election? Risking a Labour Government?
Do the Tories try and oust her? This seems unlikely now as each day passes. They can seem to get the 48 letters. Who knew? The Tory party is full of shit!!

No doubt the DUP had a strong hand, but they appear to have overplayed it and as the others put down potential winning ones, they are stuck with Mr Bun the Baker,  Pokemon, Bryan Robson Match Attack, Alf and a Sheffield Wednesday shinny.

I get the feeling the DUP would nearly be happy enough to go back to what they had. I think they completely misread the repercussions of a Brexit in their haste to try and strengthen the union. I think now the penny will have dropped that if anything it's weakened it and that a no Brexit would be better for them than this deal.

Does this withdrawal deal not potentially strengthen their "precious union"? If NI has unfettered access to the EU and the UK is this not an ideal scenario for business and the economy in general. Why would people vote to leave this beneficial scenario.
Of course, with a hard border or lets say a stickier border than we currently enjoy, it could/would tie us ever closer to GB. Reliant on it's handouts and trade crumbs to stay afloat, stay alive even. A sort of cold war satellite region. Perhaps this is the DUP vision.
You would think that yes. But in their minds it's creating a difference between NI and the rest of the UK. They have fought long and hard to show how British they are and that they are no different from anyone in England. This deal will make NI slightly different (They don't care that it might be a good different) and they're not happy. It seems they would rather NI died economically rather than risk anything that would weaken the union.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

yellowcard

It's possible that the DUP have been sent out to do the rabble rousing for the hard line Brexiteers in the Tory Party. These Brexiteers were full of rhetoric and threats yet when push came to shove they failed to put up a credible alternative to May's deal. None of them were willing to step forward to force a challenge to May's leadership since they know it is a poisoned chalice.

It's possible that the DUP are being seduced and played like a fiddle by the likes of Mogg and Johnson for their own slightly different personal motives. Who would have thought that Sammy Wilson would be at the front and centre of British politics a few years ago.     

Shamrock Shore

Seems like nobody has remembered the Spanish have a vested interest as well.

They could vote down the deal over Gibraltar.

This is such a shitshow.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on November 20, 2018, 10:43:00 AM
When the DUP roll out Sammy Wilson it feels like watching the boys in green. Martin  O'Neill just doesn't have the players. Neither does Arlene.

Sammy is going to negotiate a new deal with the EU it seems, well done Sammy, you show 'em;

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/dup-focused-on-changing-brexit-deal-but-promises-have-been-broken-and-we-dont-feel-obligated-to-deliver-on-our-pledges-sammy-wilson-37546981.html

trailer

A few other observations.

Sammy Wilson is the DUP's Brexit spokesperson. So he isn't so much wheeled out as he is their authority on Brexit. He's also looks like a walking heart-attack. (He nearly 70). I met him very briefly once and he is quite affable (dare I say likeable?) in person.

The Tories haven't got the 48 letters. Mogg and his mates have no backbone or are an even smaller number than we're led to believe. The current number of letters is put at 20-25.

The whole Brexit was arse about face. A hypothetical deal should have been negotiated before a referendum held. As in here's what our future relationship will look like should you vote to leave. Problem is, Brexit means a huge number of different things, to different people. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

There is a lack of journalistic talent to challenge these politicians or else they are complicit in their plan of spreading disinformation.

Who knew Spain and Gibraltar could've been an issue??... lol.

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on November 20, 2018, 11:32:11 AM

Sammy Wilson is the DUP's Brexit spokesperson. So he isn't so much wheeled out as he is their authority on Brexit. He's also looks like a walking heart-attack. (He nearly 70). I met him very briefly once and he is quite affable (dare I say likeable?) in person.

The Tories haven't got the 48 letters. Mogg and his mates have no backbone or are an even smaller number than we're led to believe. The current number of letters is put at 20-25.

The whole Brexit was arse about face. A hypothetical deal should have been negotiated before a referendum held. As in here's what our future relationship will look like should you vote to leave. Problem is, Brexit means a huge number of different things, to different people. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

There is a lack of journalistic talent to challenge these politicians or else they are complicit in their plan of spreading disinformation.

Sammy has no authority. He is a fupin eejit.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on November 20, 2018, 11:40:19 AM

Sammy has no authority. He is a fupin eejit.

Nige is calling the shots I tell you.

Walter Cronc

Apologies if it has been raised before lads.

Could the DUP be shouting from the rooftops to appease their core support when secretly underneath be content with May's proposals?

We know that they will sell their soul for money (unlike hardcore loyalists) so no doubt being financially better off is a motivator.

haranguerer

Dead on mate

haranguerer

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 20, 2018, 12:01:43 PM
Apologies if it has been raised before lads.

Could the DUP be shouting from the rooftops to appease their core support when secretly underneath be content with May's proposals?

We know that they will sell their soul for money (unlike hardcore loyalists) so no doubt being financially better off is a motivator.

Well, apart from the fact that there is a vote on it and what way they voted will be public knowledge.... ???

Jim_Murphy_74

One out of leftfield:

If this halfway house is such a good deal but the DUP too blind to play ball, why don't the Republic offer to align as soon kind of halfway house? 

Leo and the boys are saying we are well in with the Europeans so we could say that we will have an regulatory alignment with Brits, keeping the island border free and skelping a rake of business out of London and the like.

A sort of Hong Kong of Europe.

/Jim.

Denn Forever

Construction on Achill island to begin in the New Year.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

weareros

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 20, 2018, 12:13:44 PM
One out of leftfield:

If this halfway house is such a good deal but the DUP too blind to play ball, why don't the Republic offer to align as soon kind of halfway house? 

Leo and the boys are saying we are well in with the Europeans so we could say that we will have an regulatory alignment with Brits, keeping the island border free and skelping a rake of business out of London and the like.

/Jim.

Did I read that the regulatory alignment only covers "goods" so would that rule out things like financial services thereby preventing NI being Hong Kong of Europe (fantasy stuff anyway)

LeoMc

One out of leftfield:

/Jim.

What happens when the British start "tearing up the EU red tap that is stifling business" do we continue to align with them and move out of alignment with the rest of the EU?

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: LeoMc on November 20, 2018, 12:52:58 PM
One out of leftfield:

/Jim.

What happens when the British start "tearing up the EU red tap that is stifling business" do we continue to align with them and move out of alignment with the rest of the EU?

No idea, but if the North could be a halfway house with the best of both worlds I am wondering if it could be inverted.

As for cutting the red tape.  I worrying hear a brexiteer on Newsnight extolling the virtues of cheap meat from South America.   I don't know about the average Brit but I am happy to pay a little bit extra for the quality regulations (in particular around steroid and antibiotic use) the EU enforce.

/Jim.