What relevance does GAA have in 21st Century?

Started by Silky, February 15, 2007, 11:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silky

I read this post on a Tyrone thread. I thought it was a good post that, in a few short lines says what we are about. It also highlights the danger going forward.  I thought this deserved it's own thread. What is the GAA about in the 21st Century?

Lecale2
   Re: Tyone Responds To GPA Regonition « Reply #12 on: Today at 09:43:50 PM »

The GAA is not just about county players. It is a choice you make to play for your county; and a privilege. Some are lucky enough to have been given the opinion to make that choice. If you don't want to play for your county - don't do it. There are loads of lads queuing up to.

The GAA is built on people, men and women, working to preserve our heritage and to give young people a healthily alternative to play stations, drink and a life based on selfishness. We give them a healthy option, teach them team play, sportsmanship and give them confidence in who they are and where they have come from.  Focusing on the elite players will destroy something that I believe is unique in modern sport.

The man who plays full forward for the county team is equal in any club to the lad who coaches the u14s, to the committee man, the grounds man, the referee, the lady who makes the sandwiches and the Minor hurler who trains all year but isn't good enough and only plays the last 10 minutes of every match. That's the sort or organisation we are. Long may it continue?

Maybe the time may come where TV dictates that we should split into 2 different associations? One of elite athletes who will appear on Setanta on Saturday nights and another of the rest. The rump. The plain people of Ireland at sport. I know where I will be.  Coaching the u14s on Sunday morning or refereeing a minor match down the country. Not just because I'm not good enough to play at Croke Park, but because that's what I believe it's all about.

Pangurban

Excellent article,totally agree with all points made, but needs to be expanded on if it is to address the question re. relevance of the G.A.A. in the 21st Century. With the influx of immigrants and growing cultural assimilation, the G.A.A. is the main organisation preserving and promoting our National identity and our sense of who we are. The slow death facing many rural communities due to withdrawal of vital services,Banks,Post Offices,Transport etc.,coupled with the drift to the cities by many of the best and brightest young people, present serious challenges which the G.A.A. is best placed to combat. Indeed their own survival as an organisation will require that they tackle these challenges in a vigourous and innovative manner. In many rural parishes at the present time the G.A.A. is the hub of the community and the only provider of social and recreational outlets for the people young and old. Uniquely placed as it is in this way, it can be a great catalyst for social change. While developing the administrating skills of the community by their participation in various roles within the club, they promote self reliance and a self of place.This produces awareness and a demand for all the things necessary to maintain a full life within that community  Just as in the last century the G.A.A. acted successfully to preserve and promote our Games,Language and Music, now it must act in this Century to preserve and promote our rural communities

Hardy

Well said Pangurban. I wouldn't change a word of that and I couldn't add anything.

Lecale2

Good post  Pangurban. I agree with you. My post above was cut and pasted from another thread by Silky and is out of context. I wasn't addressing the heading he put above my comments!