Nicest Towns in Ireland

Started by AZOffaly, April 18, 2018, 09:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnnycool on April 19, 2018, 08:34:54 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 19, 2018, 07:56:23 AM
Is it a town to spend a day or two, or to live in??

Dromod, Leitrim is a lovely little village, beside the Shannon

Anyone ever hire a cruiser to do the Lough Erne, Shannon run?

I'd love to do it some time, but the kids are too young ATM.

I used to work as a pilot for Carrick Craft out of Banagher, giving the intro to tourists taking the boats out, and showing them how to drive, park, etc. Later on I took a couple of boats out for long weekends. It's lovely, especially if you like a bit of fishing, and if the weather is anyway dry. Kids need to be closely watched though, and in life vests ALL THE TIME.

I remember a lovely summers morning cruising along outside Athlone, with the sun shining and a fry on the back deck of the boat. Great stuff.

Tubberman

Quote from: johnnycool on April 19, 2018, 08:34:54 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 19, 2018, 07:56:23 AM
Is it a town to spend a day or two, or to live in??

Dromod, Leitrim is a lovely little village, beside the Shannon

Anyone ever hire a cruiser to do the Lough Erne, Shannon run?

I'd love to do it some time, but the kids are too young ATM.

Have done boat from Carrick (using Carrick Craft AZ!) to Lanesborough and back a couple of times. Great craic, with a gang of lads, wouldn't dream of bringing young kids on it though, way too much that could go wrong.
It's a great way to spend a long weekend, see the country from a different perspective, and there are good deals to be had.

Dromod is a lovely little village - not much in it, but a lovely spot to stop off in, have a drink and bite to eat in Cox's.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Owenmoresider

Quote from: BennyCake on April 18, 2018, 04:43:21 PM
Aye, forgot about Leenane, nice spot.

And Mullaghmore, nice place to spend a relaxing day.

Enniskerry in Wicklow nice spot too.
Oddly despite being from the county, I don't think I've ever set foot in the place.

macdanger2

Quote from: seafoid on April 19, 2018, 06:27:33 AM
Shannonbridge in Offaly has a fantastic pub beside a canal and is close to Clonmacnoise. It is like an antidote to Dublin. Clifden is like that as well.

Went back to clonmacnoise a couple of years ago and was fairly disappointed by it

Farrandeelin

Quote from: stephenite on April 19, 2018, 02:42:54 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 18, 2018, 07:08:07 PM
If one could include villages, Straide - Co. Mayo deserves a notable mention.

Why? Not trying to be smart, but there's nothing there? The parents now live nearby, all I've ever done is driven through it, takes about 15 seconds

The museum isn't great

I agree. There's the Copper Beech pub and museum and that's about it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

snoopdog

Quote from: thewobbler on April 18, 2018, 02:38:34 PM
Places I'd happily spend a few days in. Most of them are villages rather than towns, and have nothing to do but take a dander, look at cold water and drink stout.

Dunmore East in Waterford
Mulranny in Mayo
Mullaghmore in Sligo
Rostrevor in Down
Adare in Limerick

Dun Laoghaire and its feeder villages
Sligo Town in general
Gorey in Wexford
They all sound perfect. Wobbler.  . I would agree with Rostrevor. Warrenpoint close by also. Gelnbeigh in Kerry is beautiful also. Cushendall I enjoyed also

Billys Boots

Quote from: Taylor on April 18, 2018, 04:05:44 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 18, 2018, 03:49:26 PM
Quote from: Taylor on April 18, 2018, 02:42:56 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 18, 2018, 02:30:22 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on April 18, 2018, 02:13:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 18, 2018, 10:53:22 AM
Bunbeg, its been a while but I would have went often enough, and with the National park beside it you've got one of the best areas to walk around

Good call, although I think the recession has hit it hard.

Must get back to it then, stayed at the harbour hotel twice and then further up the road at Teac Jacks a couple of times

Hiudai Beag's used to be a fantastic spot.
Drink pints till they come out of your ears and have the craic with anyone that comes in.

Havent been back to it in years.

Was there a nightclub called Seaview or similar?
There was a nightclub at the Seaview hotel. Closed now.

Thought so. Was some cattle mart

It was called Dodge City ... very apt. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on April 19, 2018, 04:11:43 PM
The Dodge was a different nightclub on the road down to Gaoth Dobhair GAA club in Magheragallon. It was Dodgy.

Long hair fellas with check shirts on and Lee jeans!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

michaelg

Quote from: gallsman on April 19, 2018, 05:31:26 AM
Ardara, Co. Donegal.

Hillsborough, Co. Down, black as it may be is a lovely, well kept town with some great spots for food and drink.
Presumably the use of the  word 'black' is a pejorative term.  What would the equivalent to this be on the opposite side of the coin?

Tubberman

Ardara, Co. Donegal.

Hillsborough, Co. Down, black as it may be is a lovely, well kept town with some great spots for food and drink.

Jaysis, I only went through it the once, but there was some big wooden structure like a bridge going across the street festooned with union jacks and pictures of the royal family. Didn't stop!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

BennyCake

Quote from: Tubberman on April 19, 2018, 04:40:49 PM
Ardara, Co. Donegal.

Jaysis, I only went through it the once, but there was some big wooden structure like a bridge going across the street festooned with union jacks and pictures of the royal family. Didn't stop!

Aye, that's Ardara for you!

Oh wait...

gallsman

Quote from: michaelg on April 19, 2018, 04:36:11 PM
Ardara, Co. Donegal.

Presumably the use of the  word 'black' is a pejorative term.  What would the equivalent to this be on the opposite side of the coin?

I've absolutely no idea.

I'm sure you know full well that "black" being used in that particular context simply refers to a location as being overwhelmingly unionist or Protestant. A historically cold house for people of my ilk. Whether that's pejorative or not is a different question altogether.

AZOffaly

Quote from: gallsman on April 19, 2018, 05:49:13 PM
Ardara, Co. Donegal.

I've absolutely no idea.

I'm sure you know full well that "black" being used in that particular context simply refers to a location as being overwhelmingly unionist or Protestant. A historically cold house for people of my ilk. Whether that's pejorative or not is a different question altogether.

I always thought it was linked to the Black Perceptory.

moysider

Nice to live beside a town that has been mentioned a few times. In fact it could have been listed in the previous thread as well!!

A couple of my own favourite smaller villages.

Ballycastle, Co. Mayo. Beach, cliffs, archaeology, birdwatching, walking, whalewatching and a wonderful café at the bottom of the hill.

Easkey, Co. Sligo. Surfing, fishing and a wondeful area to walk and cycle. Loads of space for camper vans along the shore. Pints for 3.50 and 4.00.

Both are underdeveloped - but that is not a bad thing imo.

seafoid

Quote from: gallsman on April 19, 2018, 05:49:13 PM
Ardara, Co. Donegal.

Someone I know from Cavan wouldn't drink Lyons tea because it was a black Protestant tea.

I've absolutely no idea.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU