Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Quote from: J70 on February 22, 2018, 03:42:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 22, 2018, 02:51:20 PM
Listen it was 90 minutes of my life i wont get back.. but it served a purpose, stepping stone possibly to the next round, this wasnt a group match or a league game, knockout footballl where no one remembers the losers...

What do fans want? winners or losers who play with flair? Its a hard pill to swallow but Utd are not the team of yesterday!

I remember Liverpool being celebrated for grinding out a 0-0 away to Juve in 2005, but that was with a team missing vital players and with Djimi Traore, Igor Biscan and Antonio f**king Nunez in the line-up and up against Del Piero, Ibrahimovic, Cannavaro, Nedved, Buffon and the rest. Plus, football has changed since then and 0-0s away from home are no longer a prized result with the capability of most decent teams now to score a goal or two away.

And who could forget Brondby and Dan f**king Eggen after a creditable nil, nil away from home!!!

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 22, 2018, 04:01:43 PM
It hasn't been like this all season, there's been some poor performance against the smaller clubs but there's been plenty of times United have been good to watch which is been ignored.

Mourinho though will always be cautious against the top teams which I have no problem with.

United are just not very cohesive though but if he can fix that then we might have a great end to the season.

The back 4 still can't be trusted, both fullbacks are 30 + wingers and Shaw hasn't returned to his form prior the injury. As for the centre halfs, its non stop injuries with Bailly, Jones & Rojo.

Win the FA CUP and improve our league performances and I'll be happy with the end of the season.

Sevilla are not a top team though.

Milltown Row2

Look their score difference this year is better, so I wonder why is it that people are hung up on this? Utd are sitting well behind City, wont catch them, they are in 2 cup competitions and with City out of the FA cup they will at least give it a go, though both Chelsea and Spurs are big favs based on their attacking football qualities !

If its winning then Jose knows how to do that, his record speaks for itself.. flair only comes when Utd score early and the other team folds!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Syferus

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on February 22, 2018, 05:05:59 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 22, 2018, 04:01:43 PM
It hasn't been like this all season, there's been some poor performance against the smaller clubs but there's been plenty of times United have been good to watch which is been ignored.

Mourinho though will always be cautious against the top teams which I have no problem with.

United are just not very cohesive though but if he can fix that then we might have a great end to the season.

The back 4 still can't be trusted, both fullbacks are 30 + wingers and Shaw hasn't returned to his form prior the injury. As for the centre halfs, its non stop injuries with Bailly, Jones & Rojo.

Win the FA CUP and improve our league performances and I'll be happy with the end of the season.

Sevilla are not a top team though.

They made the European Cup last 16 from Spain, and have multiple Europa League wins in recent years. You're hardly talking about scrubs from Eastern Europe.

J70

Didn't Mourinho coin the term "park the bus"? :)

Oldhacker

Mourinho built a great team at Porto on relatively limited resources. In all his subsequent appointments, he has demanded and been given the opportunity to bring in highly paid players for huge fees rather than develop home grown talent. His approach is no longer working and the groans in the background at  Old Trafford are likely to steadily increase.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Oldhacker on February 23, 2018, 12:14:13 AM
Mourinho built a great team at Porto on relatively limited resources. In all his subsequent appointments, he has demanded and been given the opportunity to bring in highly paid players for huge fees rather than develop home grown talent. His approach is no longer working and the groans in the background at  Old Trafford are likely to steadily increase.

McTominay would disagree, got no complaints about his use of the younger players. He's been good with Gomes and some of the other really promising youngsters like Chong. There isn't a top manager about who would turn down the opportunity to spend big money, their all the same.

The groans will soon disappear should United have a successful end to the season

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 23, 2018, 03:15:02 PM

McTominay would disagree, got no complaints about his use of the younger players. He's been good with Gomes and some of the other really promising youngsters like Chong. There isn't a top manager about who would turn down the opportunity to spend big money, their all the same.

The groans will soon disappear should United have a successful end to the season

What qualifies as a successful season now for United?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on February 23, 2018, 03:20:37 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 23, 2018, 03:15:02 PM

What qualifies as a successful season now for United?

Win the FA Cup and performances in league and europe improve, United have to start showing signs their capable of going close on winning the league next season.

Syferus

I find it incredible that Jose is singled out for spending big when Pep has assembled the worth of two or three extremely expensive world class forward lines across town. Football at the top level is about spending big, that is the cost of admission to the big boy club.

magpie seanie

I have no issue with the manager of Manchester United spending big. It has always been the way as it is one of the richest clubs in the world with possibly the highest income (definitely top 3 anyway).

There's plenty else to criticise Mr Mourinho about. I see he was letting the United medical staff have it there yesterday. I seem to remember him criticising medical professionals for doing their job before.....cost him a fair few quid that.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Syferus on February 23, 2018, 03:26:28 PM
I find it incredible that Jose is singled out for spending big when Pep has assembled the worth of two or three extremely expensive world class forward lines across town. Football at the top level is about spending big, that is the cost of admission to the big boy club.

Yeah strange that the media are picking on the manager who is the guts of 20 points off the pace and not the manager that is playing
exciting football and running away with the league.  ::)

Syferus

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on February 23, 2018, 03:45:39 PM

Yeah strange that the media are picking on the manager who is the guts of 20 points off the pace and not the manager that is playing

One inherited a team that had already won two titles recently with many key members still at or near their playing peaks. What Jose found, when he arrived at United, was a mess due to late era Fergie batshit planning and two poor managers. Not even close to like-for-like.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Syferus on February 23, 2018, 05:19:32 PM

One inherited a team that had already won two titles recently with many key members still at or near their playing peaks. What Jose found, when he arrived at United, was a mess due to late era Fergie batshit planning and two poor managers. Not even close to like-for-like.

And City have still spent €150m more than Utd over the past 5 seasons.

Milltown Row2

And how a manager of spurs and Liverpool who are further behind, plus worse off goal difference are loved! Though I do like those managers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea