China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 16, 2020, 11:07:02 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on March 16, 2020, 07:40:01 PM
So now they are throwing pregnant women into the at risk category all of a sudden. My wife is 20 weeks and works in a pharmacy and has been dealing with effers fighting over toilet roll  nappies and calpol the last week.

Add to that her employer a big chain seems to only  be  intent on cashing in unlike some others I've heard off

Checked it out for work pregnant women are now officially in the "at risk" category...

can you please provide a link? My wife 36.5wks pregnant with our first.
Unsettling times

It's true I was looking it it for work earlier... Pregnant women are now officially in the "at risk" category

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: screenexile on March 16, 2020, 11:16:57 PM
So now they are throwing pregnant women into the at risk category all of a sudden. My wife is 20 weeks and works in a pharmacy and has been dealing with effers fighting over toilet roll  nappies and calpol the last week.

Add to that her employer a big chain seems to only  be  intent on cashing in unlike some others I've heard off

Checked it out for work pregnant women are now officially in the "at risk" category...

Unsettling times

It's true I was looking it it for work earlier... Pregnant women are now officially in the "at risk" category

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

Thanks for that. It doesn't say why they have put pregnancy in that category, but from what I have read elsewhere:
Pregnant women generally have lower immunity
Later stages of pregnancy, lungs can be of reduced capacity to circulate air and more prone to infection
Some evidence that pregnant women are more at risk of similar viruses, eg SARS
Lack of information due to low numbers of case studies leads to conservatism

In short, being in the at-risk case due to lack of information is slightly better than being in the at risk case due to actual reasons (that's what I'm telling myself anyway)

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2237352-coronavirus-what-we-know-so-far-about-risks-to-pregnancy-and-babies/

Hasta la victoria siempre

screenexile

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 16, 2020, 11:39:36 PM

Unsettling times

Thanks for that. It doesn't say why they have put pregnancy in that category, but from what I have read elsewhere:
Later stages of pregnancy, lungs can be of reduced capacity to circulate air and more prone to infection

In short, being in the at-risk case due to lack of information is slightly better than being in the at risk case due to actual reasons (that's what I'm telling myself anyway)

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2237352-coronavirus-what-we-know-so-far-about-risks-to-pregnancy-and-babies/

I think you're right it would seem more of a "well being pregnant puts you at high risk for most things" more so than they have noticed a trend so sounds like nothing to unduly worry about.

I'd still be asking your wife to minimise the risk where possible.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: screenexile on March 16, 2020, 11:47:48 PM

Unsettling times

I think you're right it would seem more of a "well being pregnant puts you at high risk for most things" more so than they have noticed a trend so sounds like nothing to unduly worry about.

Definitely. We are taking all precautions we can. She's finished work now so that helps.
Don't want the added headache of having Coronavirus (even if it doesn't affect her) and hoping for an isolation room in hospital.

Only place we've been in the last week is supermarket, hospital and work (for me)
Hasta la victoria siempre

TheOptimist

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 17, 2020, 12:17:12 AM
Quote from: screenexile on March 16, 2020, 11:47:48 PM

Unsettling times

Definitely. We are taking all precautions we can. She's finished work now so that helps.
Don't want the added headache of having Coronavirus (even if it doesn't affect her) and hoping for an isolation room in hospital.

Only place we've been in the last week is supermarket, hospital and work (for me)

I don't know what to think. This is our third so my wife is still doing the school runs, using buses and like I say working in a pharmacy that hasn't even done their statutory risk assessment yet. Off for a few days now so we're going to wait to see what changes in that time.

RedHand88

We will all tell our grandchildren about this some day.

armaghniac

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 17, 2020, 12:46:06 AM
We will all tell our grandchildren about this some day.

It  has  been 100 years since the last similar and perhaps medical science will learn from this one so that there cannot be another.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RedHand88

I fear for the Holylands in Belfast tomorrow. No pubs, no parades. Crowds will descend on the packed streets. It will be a breeding ground for the virus.

screenexile

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 17, 2020, 01:24:43 AM
I fear for the Holylands in Belfast tomorrow. No pubs, no parades. Crowds will descend on the packed streets. It will be a breeding ground for the virus.

Jesus I hope not would like to think the provinces brightest and best would have some cop on and not show up tomorrow!

marty34

Quote from: screenexile on March 17, 2020, 02:14:47 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 17, 2020, 01:24:43 AM

Jesus I hope not would like to think the provinces brightest and best would have some cop on and not show up tomorrow!

Yeah, that'll be interesting qhat happens there alright.
You'd hope common sense will prevail.

Maroon Manc

Have many pubs in the North shut? Its business as usual here in Manchester,

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 17, 2020, 10:28:37 AM

Noticed a couple open when driving through town yesterday notice some  closed, most GAA clubs are closed.

Was chatting to a taxi man this morning, at a point in his week he'd have his outgoings covered and then rest of week is a wage. He's only earned £50! That's not his he's still try to get money up for his depot and car payment!

Over 600 drivers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

The imperial college London report very interesting, especially for those interested in school closures & effectiveness

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Think the Gaa Board technical group will publish theirs in a few days  ;D
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 17, 2020, 10:37:04 AM

Noticed a couple open when driving through town yesterday notice from closed, most GAA clubs are closed.

Was chatting to a taxi man this morning, at a point in his week he'd have his outgoings covered and then rest of week is a wage. He's only earned £50! That's not his he's still try to get money up for his depot and car payment!

Over 600 drivers

That's crazy.  If he has another 4 or 5 weeks like that, that'll be really tough. I see Mountain Warehouse in serious bother. A lot of small companies will go bust while the big ones are in a great place either.  I don't think anyone will be spending anything big these days - just being prudent.

Tough times ahead and the uncertainty in terms of the timeline isn't helping.

TabClear

What about the main Student/St Patrick day bars in Belfast, have these been closed today? Not even sure where these are now, is the Hatfield still big?