The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Banana Man on November 08, 2010, 01:38:38 PM
QuoteQuote from: Banana Man on Today at 10:29:51 AM
Strange to you perhaps? As I pointed out, I'd have a lot more insight into that demographic's mindset so am slightly more qualified to comment.How do you know you have more of an insight than me?
I'm also pretty sure you have never conducted a survey among gaa top wearing students in queens or jordanstown - you didn't even go to university there as I recall.

Believe what you want, I actually don't give a shit. I'm pretty secure in my belief in the original statement.

Tell you what Gallsman you certainly bought into the Trinity education when you went down there. Your attitude seems to be, we debate your point of view and the other one then decide you are right. You put me in mind of alasdair mcdonnell 

Well that's just shite of the highest order, isn't it? I've stated what my belief is based on and in return all that has been presented is a load of crap with no evidence to justify any other opinion. I've already stated that I have no firm evidence and my belief purely comes from generational insight and frienships amongst the various classes mentioned earlier.

The higlighted bit makes no sense. Maybe it's because you didn't go to Trinity or something that you can't communicate effectively. You know, seeing as I go on about it so much and try to remind everyone of my superiority.

Is that your attempt at debate? label everything as shite?

Maybe I gave you too much credit. Trinity would be seen as one of the last bastions of imperialism in Dublin, the last of the blueblood etc, they would foster and encourage the condescending attitude that you continuously represent here, with the sweeping generalisations of the 'bog Irish'.

If you had read what I posted you would see I was referring to you dismissing pints argument simply because you believed you were better qualified than him despite not knowing what experience he would have on the matter.

Certainly looks like you bought into the arrogant dogma of trinity very well. Mission accomplished.

Can you not even see the hypocrisy here? What exactly do you know of Trinity? I'd happily wager the answer is something close to nothing based on this post. I also went to DCU - perhaps you'd care to elaborate on what I picked up from there?

I never once dismissed Pints - my point was that I believe I'm slightly better qualified than Pints to comment on such matters due to certain factors. Whether or not he or you dispute this is irrelevant.

Banana Man

On Hiatus/Retired

Re: The SDLP
« Reply #156 on: Today at 05:05:43 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: Banana Man on Today at 01:38:38 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on Today at 10:29:51 AM
Strange to you perhaps? As I pointed out, I'd have a lot more insight into that demographic's mindset so am slightly more qualified to comment.How do you know you have more of an insight than me?
I'm also pretty sure you have never conducted a survey among gaa top wearing students in queens or jordanstown - you didn't even go to university there as I recall.

Believe what you want, I actually don't give a shit. I'm pretty secure in my belief in the original statement.

Tell you what Gallsman you certainly bought into the Trinity education when you went down there. Your attitude seems to be, we debate your point of view and the other one then decide you are right. You put me in mind of alasdair mcdonnell 

Well that's just shite of the highest order, isn't it? I've stated what my belief is based on and in return all that has been presented is a load of crap with no evidence to justify any other opinion. I've already stated that I have no firm evidence and my belief purely comes from generational insight and frienships amongst the various classes mentioned earlier.

The higlighted bit makes no sense. Maybe it's because you didn't go to Trinity or something that you can't communicate effectively. You know, seeing as I go on about it so much and try to remind everyone of my superiority.

Is that your attempt at debate? label everything as shite?

Maybe I gave you too much credit. Trinity would be seen as one of the last bastions of imperialism in Dublin, the last of the blueblood etc, they would foster and encourage the condescending attitude that you continuously represent here, with the sweeping generalisations of the 'bog Irish'.

If you had read what I posted you would see I was referring to you dismissing pints argument simply because you believed you were better qualified than him despite not knowing what experience he would have on the matter.

Certainly looks like you bought into the arrogant dogma of trinity very well. Mission accomplished.

Can you not even see the hypocrisy here? What exactly do you know of Trinity? I'd happily wager the answer is something close to nothing based on this post. I also went to DCU - perhaps you'd care to elaborate on what I picked up from there?

I never once dismissed Pints - my point was that I believe I'm slightly better qualified than Pints to comment on such matters due to certain factors. Whether or not he or you dispute this is irrelevant.

That's the cusp of it there, in your version of debating, if someone disagrees with you it is irrelevant  ::)

gallsman

Yes, that's what I said.

I offered up evidence of why I believe I'm qualified to comment on such matters. What have you offered?

I'm still waiting to find out what you know of Trinity and DCU.

The Worker

Some sweeping statements on this thread.

Just as well we aren't into generalisations on this board!

ziggysego

Was Margaret trying to fly away like a wee birdie at the end of the SDLP report on UTV?
Testing Accessibility

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 07, 2010, 11:10:43 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 07, 2010, 11:05:15 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 07, 2010, 10:57:22 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 07, 2010, 10:51:18 PM
So what was the purpose of the 'Solicitors Doctors & Lawyers Party' line?

A reference to the SDLP being a party which markets itself towards the "middle classes" and maintains minimal interest in the "working class" communities. The Alliance Party, in other words.
I thought it was generally a reference to the background of the party's elected representatives. I also thought the 'S' stood for Schoolteachers.
Glad to have clarified my point. Apologies for any mass confusion.

Sin sin, mar a deirtear.
You clarified your point? The reference to the professions generally relates to the background of SDLP members, not their 'target audience'.

And is this an example of the 'minimal interest' in the "working class" communities?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11706738

andoireabu

Quote from: gallsman on November 07, 2010, 10:09:57 PM
Jesus Nally, I know lots of solicitors and doctors who vote Sinn Fein, I doubt they'd be very happy with you.

Walk into a Queen's medicine lecture or a Queens or Jordanstown law lecture and count how many country GAA tops you see, the majority of who I presume would be Sinn Fein voters.

Perhaps you'd prefer things to return to the bad old days when Catholics couldn't get work and were forced to rely on benefits to survive.
You have a crack at nally for being a snob and then come out with the bit i have highlighted? Reads a bit snobbish to me.  Are you saying that nobody from a city club votes Sinn Féin?
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

gallsman

Quote from: andoireabu on November 08, 2010, 06:31:34 PM
Jesus Nally, I know lots of solicitors and doctors who vote Sinn Fein, I doubt they'd be very happy with you.

Walk into a Queen's medicine lecture or a Queens or Jordanstown law lecture and count how many country GAA tops you see, the majority of who I presume would be Sinn Fein voters.

Perhaps you'd prefer things to return to the bad old days when Catholics couldn't get work and were forced to rely on benefits to survive.
You have a crack at nally for being a snob and then come out with the bit i have highlighted? Reads a bit snobbish to me.  Are you saying that nobody from a city club votes Sinn Féin?

Em, no.

andoireabu

Quote from: gallsman on November 08, 2010, 06:33:43 PM

Em, no.
So then why stick the country GAA supporters in your point?

gallsman

Quote from: andoireabu on November 08, 2010, 06:39:54 PM

Em, no.

Sheer weight of numbers, perhaps???

andoireabu

Quote from: gallsman on November 08, 2010, 06:40:41 PM

Em, no.

Perhaps? And say for instance if a person wasn't wearing their own area or counties GAA top, say someone from west belfast wearing a crossmaglen shirt, would this not impact your point of people in a law or medicine lecture voting for the shinners based on their clothes?

Maguire01

Em, no.
Maybe there aren't not that many city GAA tops around the universities?

gallsman

Quote from: andoireabu on November 08, 2010, 06:45:53 PM

Em, no.

Perhaps? And say for instance if a person wasn't wearing their own area or counties GAA top, say someone from west belfast wearing a crossmaglen shirt, would this not impact your point of people in a law or medicine lecture voting for the shinners based on their clothes?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking me here.

If someone from West Belfast was wearing a Crossmaglen jersey, would it impact my thoughts on their likely voting preferences?

andoireabu

Quote from: gallsman on November 08, 2010, 06:50:21 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on November 08, 2010, 06:45:53 PM

Em, no.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking me here.

If someone from West Belfast was wearing a Crossmaglen jersey, would it impact my thoughts on their likely voting preferences?
Yes though without you knowing where they are from.  You see a person in a country GAA shirt in a medicine lecture and you think they vote for...?

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 08, 2010, 06:18:16 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 07, 2010, 11:10:43 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 07, 2010, 11:05:15 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 07, 2010, 10:57:22 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 07, 2010, 10:51:18 PM
So what was the purpose of the 'Solicitors Doctors & Lawyers Party' line?

A reference to the SDLP being a party which markets itself towards the "middle classes" and maintains minimal interest in the "working class" communities. The Alliance Party, in other words.
I thought it was generally a reference to the background of the party's elected representatives. I also thought the 'S' stood for Schoolteachers.
Glad to have clarified my point. Apologies for any mass confusion.

Sin sin, mar a deirtear.
You clarified your point? The reference to the professions generally relates to the background of SDLP members, not their 'target audience'.

And is this an example of the 'minimal interest' in the "working class" communities?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11706738

Jaysus Maguire01, you are now telling me what I meant by my own post? I'm sorry if I didn't mean it the way it would have suited you most to have a pop at me.

Tell you what, interpret it whatever way you feel suits you, and that way you can untwist them knickers of yours. It's bound to be getting uncomfortable.

As for your link, no.... a press statement from Miss Personality doesn't change the SDLP into the people's party just like that. Ol' maggie spent most of her conference speech making sure people knew they aren't Sinn Féin. She would have been better off trying to distance themselves from the Alliance party if you ask me.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore