Roscommon v Mayo Connacht final 2011

Started by ross4life, June 24, 2011, 07:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross matt

Quote from: ross4life on July 05, 2011, 01:40:54 AM
Quote from: ross matt on July 05, 2011, 01:03:15 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 04, 2011, 10:10:46 PM
I don't understand the Roscommon sense of fear of putting AOS in full-forward. He plays much better in midfield imo. As far as fears go, I'm petrified that Shine, et all will get sufficient ball if Finneran and Mannion do the business around mid-field.

Agreed. If Ross win midfield Shine, Kilbride and Cregg will get the scores needed to edge past Mayo. My point was (if fit) McGarritty is better than the two O'Se's and the current Ross midfield. The younger brother played full forward before to great effect so with Roscommon having a small full back line its an obvious option to move him in there and pump the ball in. Mortimer is a far better free taker than the Mayo keeper so he too would be an addittion. Overall what I'm saying is Mayo could turn up a far different outfit in the Connacht final than they were against Galway thanks to the return from injury of a few key players. That being said Roscommon should have O'Gara available.

Having seen Aidan O'Shea play in midfield,full forward at Minor,U21 & Senior level it's no doubt in my mind midfield is his best position. In McGarrity/A O'Shea Mayo will form a formidable partnership for the Connacht final & worth pointing out Finneran played in 09 & had to be subbed off on 40mins. Another two players i expect Horan to start (if fit) will be Howley,Gafferkey. on the subject of O'Gara he only played 30mins for ros gaels so the best we can hope for is a 20 minute cameo appearance & I'll be suprised if moonwalker is part of 26 man panel.

Is O'Gara still that far off Ross? Didnt realise that.
I thought o'se played full forward againt Galway a few years back and caused hell?
In fairness to Finneran he has consistenly improved over the last year or two so hopefully he'll mantain that form for the final.

Tubberman

Quote from: ross matt on July 05, 2011, 08:51:00 AM
I don't understand the Roscommon sense of fear of putting AOS in full-forward. He plays much better in midfield imo. As far as fears go, I'm petrified that Shine, et all will get sufficient ball if Finneran and Mannion do the business around mid-field.

Agreed. If Ross win midfield Shine, Kilbride and Cregg will get the scores needed to edge past Mayo. My point was (if fit) McGarritty is better than the two O'Se's and the current Ross midfield. The younger brother played full forward before to great effect so with Roscommon having a small full back line its an obvious option to move him in there and pump the ball in. Mortimer is a far better free taker than the Mayo keeper so he too would be an addittion. Overall what I'm saying is Mayo could turn up a far different outfit in the Connacht final than they were against Galway thanks to the return from injury of a few key players. That being said Roscommon should have O'Gara available.

Having seen Aidan O'Shea play in midfield,full forward at Minor,U21 & Senior level it's no doubt in my mind midfield is his best position. In McGarrity/A O'Shea Mayo will form a formidable partnership for the Connacht final & worth pointing out Finneran played in 09 & had to be subbed off on 40mins. Another two players i expect Horan to start (if fit) will be Howley,Gafferkey. on the subject of O'Gara he only played 30mins for ros gaels so the best we can hope for is a 20 minute cameo appearance & I'll be suprised if moonwalker is part of 26 man panel.

I thought o'se played full forward againt Galway a few years back and caused hell?
In fairness to Finneran he has consistenly improved over the last year or two so hopefully he'll mantain that form for the final.

O'Shea played full forward in 09 - his first year out of minor. He had a very good year, caused a lot of trouble for Galway and Meath defences.
But since then, he struggled at FF whenever he was played there. He didn't have the pace from a standing start to make a burst away from his marker. The confidence seemed to drain from him - he couldn't hold on to any ball that came his way and he looked very frustrated. Since he was moved out to midfield he's had a bit of a rebirth.
He could still do a job in FF on a horses for courses basis, but it's definitely not the place for him long-term.

Edit to say he was in the full-forward line in 09, I think he was usually one of the corners - Barry Moran was FF and Kilcoyne I think in the other corner.
Then after C Mort's goal-scoring antics, I think we had Kilkoyne, O'Shea and C Mort also known as The Killer, The Pillar and The Thriller  :D :D
I think it was Muppet who came up with that classic.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

kevmy

Yeah I agree with spuds the attack on C Mort is a bit ott. Fair enough if you say you don't have time for him personally but speaking for other people and some of the other comments aren't on.

I would extremely doubt that he would be anywhere near starting on Connacht Final day but he'll have another county Championship game under the belt next wkend so he could be available for the panel. It would be handy to have his ability and confidence ready to kick a couple of crucial frees near the end.

As for the rest of the team I reckon there is only one or two other spots up for contention. In midfield we have 3 guys looking for 2 spots. If McG's not fully fit then don't start him, he can come on for one of the O'Shea's when they tire in the second half. If he is fully fit I think he should start - don't know which of the two lads should drop out though. The other spot which is in question for me would be corner forward. Cillian O'Connor didn't impose himself the last day and a case could be made for Varley to come in.

Apart from that I think we are playing the best lads we have, even if we are a bit shaky in defence I think they done alright the last day and deserve another shot.

Rossfan

i'm beginning to get a bad feeling about this game  :( .
The Mwr bucks are getting more confident as the days pass, our inadequacies are beginning to become more obvious, their quality is being highlighted daily so I'm cancelling all appointments for 23rd as I expect to be heading off to Breffni/Portlaoise/Croker for a 4th round game.
If the Rhus dominate possession as they did against Galway I fear they will have their feet straightened unlike the last day and can see the hoors raining over points from all angles ( as they always seem to do against us -- 99/02/09 e.g).
A chastening may await .... but even if it does I think we will have the mental strength to arise a better team from it...  but in 2012/13/14.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mjg

Same here on another web site mayo fans see this game as a distraction

kevmy

Quote from: Rossfan on July 05, 2011, 11:06:58 AM
i'm beginning to get a bad feeling about this game  :( .
The Mwr bucks are getting more confident as the days pass, our inadequacies are beginning to become more obvious, their quality is being highlighted daily so I'm cancelling all appointments for 23rd as I expect to be heading off to Breffni/Portlaoise/Croker for a 4th round game.
If the Rhus dominate possession as they did against Galway I fear they will have their feet straightened unlike the last day and can see the hoors raining over points from all angles ( as they always seem to do against us -- 99/02/09 e.g).
A chastening may await .... but even if it does I think we will have the mental strength to arise a better team from it...  but in 2012/13/14.

Surely ye don't believe this will be another '09? The Rossies are much stronger now. 3 years extra experience for a team which was extremely callow that day, along with a good young manager and a Connacht title. We may win, but I simply cannot see a repeat of '09.

I expect whoever wins midfield will win this as neither back line will handle an on-from set of forwards.

ross matt

Quote from: Tubberman on July 05, 2011, 09:13:15 AM
Quote from: ross matt on July 05, 2011, 08:51:00 AM

O'Shea played full forward in 09 - his first year out of minor. He had a very good year, caused a lot of trouble for Galway and Meath defences.But since then, he struggled at FF whenever he was played there. He didn't have the pace from a standing start to make a burst away from his marker. The confidence seemed to drain from him - he couldn't hold on to any ball that came his way and he looked very frustrated. Since he was moved out to midfield he's had a bit of a rebirth.
He could still do a job in FF on a horses for courses basis, but it's definitely not the place for him long-term.

Edit to say he was in the full-forward line in 09, I think he was usually one of the corners - Barry Moran was FF and Kilcoyne I think in the other corner.
Then after C Mort's goal-scoring antics, I think we had Kilkoyne, O'Shea and C Mort also known as The Killer, The Pillar and The Thriller  :D :D
I think it was Muppet who came up with that classic.

Yeah Tubberman that must be the game I was thinking of. He looked a serious prospect after the Galway match.

Ryano

Quote from: spuds on July 05, 2011, 12:20:28 AM
Disgraceful personal attack on Conor Mort Ryano, not quoting you as think they should be removed. Banter is all good and well but that sort of shit is uncalled for. Play the game not the man.

Eh? I don't post here that often but I have seen a hell of a lot worse things put up about players then my comments. A hell of a lot worse. I'm at a bit of a loss why you would get your knickers in a twist over that. "The Mort" I'm sure has laughed off worse comments and was not lying awake last night fretting over me.

Its the height issue ala Kerry and Mayo in the AI final (not a dig btw). Our FB are all under or barely 6' where as AOS is what 6'4" or 5"?? All Mayo would need to do is drop the ball in high and he would do serious damage I think. I think a fit McGarrity would make a bigger impact in the middle to be honest.

Quote from: Rossfan on July 05, 2011, 11:06:58 AM
i'm beginning to get a bad feeling about this game  :( . The Mwr bucks are getting more confident as the days pass, our inadequacies are beginning to become more obvious, their quality is being highlighted daily so I'm cancelling all appointments for 23rd as I expect to be heading off to Breffni/Portlaoise/Croker for a 4th round game. If the Rhus dominate possession as they did against Galway I fear they will have their feet straightened unlike the last day and can see the hoors raining over points from all angles ( as they always seem to do against us -- 99/02/09 e.g). A chastening may await .... but even if it does I think we will have the mental strength to arise a better team from it...  but in 2012/13/14.

I'm not getting a bad feeling, I always have one when we face Mayo to be honest... It's just a small bit diluted this time by a hint of optimism based on current forms. Too many bad memories of getting pasted by them in both McHale and Hyde park over the past decade to be thinking of this being a walk in the park for us. A lot of issues for both teams, i think it will come down to which team can over come theirs best that will decide the winner. 

ross4life

At the end of the day it's down to fitness levels compared to his other teams mates. last year we had a similar situation with Senan Kilbride but he didn't make the 26 man panel for the Connacht final, i would be hopefull O'Gara can make it.

In reply to the height issues in our back line Niall Carty (current full back) is 6ft 1 & he played in midfield for our minors & U21s.

He did but from what i have seen he's a more natural midfielder, as example v us in the U21 game in March he got MOTM when he dominated midfield.

Agreed he's perhaps our most improved player but a huge test awaits in the final.

P.S one of the worst refs in Ireland will be in charge of this match..Michael Collins
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

western exile

Result of challenge game at the weekend  Ros Comáin 0-12   An Dún 1-13

ross4life

Quote from: western exile on July 05, 2011, 05:56:01 PM
Are you sure that's correct? from what i hear only two points between the sides.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

Quote from: ross4life on July 05, 2011, 05:53:06 PM
[P.S one of the worst refs in Ireland will be in charge of this match..Michael Collins

What is it with Provincial Councils ( need I ask  ::)) picking bad Refs for their finals  >:(
Last year the Munster Final was farcical while the Leinster final saw one of the worst injustices ever on a football field.
There are only 4 Provincial Finals which are showpieces in their own right and deserve the best refs.
At least Munster learned from last year and got Coldrick in this year.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

western exile

Quote from: ross4life on July 05, 2011, 05:58:30 PM
Quote from: western exile on July 05, 2011, 05:56:01 PM
Are you sure that's correct? from what i hear only two points between the sides.
If you know some detail about this match, what secrets are you keeping from the Mayo posters?   ;)  :D

Farrandeelin

R4L isn't generally wrong. And running last year's runners-up to just 2 points isn't bad going at all.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mjg