American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: Syferus on January 21, 2018, 12:13:41 PM
Quote from: stew on January 21, 2018, 11:59:29 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 15, 2018, 02:39:21 PM
The Patriots going up against a Tom Coughlin team in the playoffs? We've seen this story before  ;)

Brady will destroy this crowd tonight, I expect a three touchdown win for the Pats and although both teams are chokers in the losers bracket of the draw, I expect the queens to choke more and lose and go back to dinkytown with their tails between their legs!

Pats to win it all again, happy days, Brady is the best ever no matter what happens.

I thought the Patriots would win tonight but after this post I'm not too sure.

Do you like apples????

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Declan

Delighted the Eagles made it to the Superbowl. Hopefully they can take the evil trio down ;)

QuotePatriots win with 18 men on the field at all times, tough to beat, even when completely outplayed...

https://twitter.com/artfoley56/status/955221805383503873

magpie seanie

Quote from: stew on January 22, 2018, 03:40:03 AM
Quote from: heganboy on January 21, 2018, 09:42:07 PM
So unusual for all those completely dodgy calls to go the way of new England in Foxboro...

Worst call of the day went to the Jags, Noo York teams are shite, get over it kid. )

You're away with the fairies. That was a touchdown if the officials didn't f**k it up. The DPI that lead to the first score was a joke. It was OPI if anything, Bouye had a perfect position. Gilmore clearly pulled the Jags receiver back on the last Jags offensive play. lso, if you watch the stills Church lead and hit with his shoulder - it was momentum that caused the clash of heads so that mightn't even have been a penalty either. Patriots - one penalty for 10 yards all game. That's just a joke. We shouldn't be surprised at this stage because it happens all the time.

Jags were tremendously unlucky though they just veered a little too predictable/conservative in the 4th quarter. They stopped doing the short passes that were killing the Patriots. The loss of their left tackle seemed to end their o-line dominance and losing 3 starting defenders killed their 4th quarter pass rush. Brady just had too much time in the 4th quarter.

Eagles have a chance. Super defence and I'd rate Foles as better than Bortles with better weapons.

screenexile

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 22, 2018, 08:36:17 AM
Quote from: stew on January 22, 2018, 03:40:03 AM
Quote from: heganboy on January 21, 2018, 09:42:07 PM
So unusual for all those completely dodgy calls to go the way of new England in Foxboro...

Worst call of the day went to the Jags, Noo York teams are shite, get over it kid. )

You're away with the fairies. That was a touchdown if the officials didn't f**k it up. The DPI that lead to the first score was a joke. It was OPI if anything, Bouye had a perfect position. Gilmore clearly pulled the Jags receiver back on the last Jags offensive play. lso, if you watch the stills Church lead and hit with his shoulder - it was momentum that caused the clash of heads so that mightn't even have been a penalty either. Patriots - one penalty for 10 yards all game. That's just a joke. We shouldn't be surprised at this stage because it happens all the time.

The Pats played a clean game, what can I say??? If you think the officials are bent you are away with the fairies, the only call they got wrong was against the Pats!

Jags were tremendously unlucky though they just veered a little too predictable/conservative in the 4th quarter. They stopped doing the short passes that were killing the Patriots. The loss of their left tackle seemed to end their o-line dominance and losing 3 starting defenders killed their 4th quarter pass rush. Brady just had too much time in the 4th quarter.

They werent unlucky, they shit themselves and paid the price, you whinge about them losing players to injuries yet forget the one to Gronk that allowed the Jags to go from  double coverage to man to man, that is one hell of an advantage yet Brady still reined them in, he is the best ever and won the game despite losing his main weapon!

Eagles have a chance. Super defence and I'd rate Foles as better than Bortles with better weapons.

If the Eagles stay aggressive I think they win this game, they need to learn from the mistakes of others and harass Brady in the fourth quarter, not take their foot off the gas and try prevent defence, it does not work, they are younger, faster and flat out better in two of the three phases in football, their defence is as good as there is in the league and their offence just dismantled a choking Vikings D that was lauded for its excellence all year, all that said, the Pats are still standing, this is their time of year and they have been there done that, no one does it better, it will be fascinating to see.

Eagles 34 Pats 27.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Declan on January 22, 2018, 08:01:13 AM
Delighted the Eagles made it to the Superbowl. Hopefully they can take the evil trio down ;)

QuotePatriots win with 18 men on the field at all times, tough to beat, even when completely outplayed...

https://twitter.com/artfoley56/status/955221805383503873

Ah Declan, Ewan MacKenna!!
#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Stew - you hardly need me to mention Gronk got injured.....that's the one injury that was mentioned by everyone. By mentioning the Jags injuries I was highlighting they were pretty unlucky while at the same time these losses explained their lack of push both sides of the ball in the 4th quarter. Possibly along with some slightly conservative play calling on offence. I reject completely the notion they shit themselves but that paint by numbers approach seems to be what serves as analysis for sports over in the US and you definitely buy into that.

On Gronk's injury - Brady put him in an awful position with the throw so he must get some blame for it.

Declan

QuoteAh Declan, Ewan MacKenna!!

I know Dinny but it was only a retweet ;) ;)

Minder

Would give the Eagles a very good chance in the SB

God willing
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gabriel_Hurl

FAO AZ

QuoteThe Cardinals will make Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Steve Wilks their next head coach, a league source confirmed to ESPN on Monday.

Oraisteach

What day of the week is it? Monday. No, it's Stewsday--Pats win, Vikings lose

Therealdonald

Alas it wasn't to be. But it asn't Bortles that lost us the game. It was the 4th quarter injuries and Brady's ice-cool veins. I can see Coughlin making a play for Cousins in the off-season. At least the Jags have shown they're legit.

Capt Pat

Quote from: Minder on January 22, 2018, 06:18:03 PM

God willing

I can't see anything other than a Brady win to be honest. It was a real bad performance from the vikings against the Eagles last night. In relation to Foles and the Eagles one swallow doesn't make a summer. Foles still has a lot to prove imho.

Minder

Quote from: Capt Pat on January 22, 2018, 08:28:41 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 22, 2018, 06:18:03 PM

God willing

I can't see anything other than a Brady win to be honest. It was a real bad performance from the vikings against the Eagles last night. In relation to Foles and the Eagles one swallow doesn't make a summer. Foles still has a lot to prove imho.

He does but I'm not sure he needs to shoot the lights out either, its one game. People forget Brady's fist SB win v Rams. He was a game manager then and threw for about 150 yds. Eagles have a decent array of weapons and can run the ball. We will see but it wouldn't be a shock to see Eagles win.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Syferus

Foles at his best is way better than a game manager, though. And he has loads of experience. Consistency between seasons was his problem and even games this year.

If Foles can put it together again they have a chance but a Super Bowl is like a regular season game in October for the hoors in NE at this stage so anything less than a great team performance and the Pats will walk out with their third title in four years.