American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on January 11, 2018, 10:46:58 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on January 11, 2018, 10:29:02 AM
Quote from: Syferus on January 11, 2018, 10:19:58 AM
It would make no sense that a team as bad as the Browns, owning the first pick, would even be in the Cousins market. Not unless they think Rosen. Allen, Darnold and even Mayfield are totally useless. Even Lamar Jackson being developed under Hue Jackson would be more attractive to my eyes. Sinking so much cap space at QB when rebuilding doesn't fly with me.
I think it would make some sense. Not saying it will happen but Cousins is only 29 and is a better QB day one than any of the college QB's. He's thrown for over 4000 yards with a better than 2:1 TD/INT ratio this past 3 years.
If it were up to me I'd probably take a QB at 1, Barkley at 4 if he's still there (if not take a RB in 2nd round) and then spend their money on defense, similar to what Jacksonville have done.

I don't doubt he's good but when you're 1-31 over the last two seasons you're not exactly printed for a playoff push. A cap friendly franchise QB that you can get five cheap years out of seems the smart play. It's not like they have to spend any more of their picks to move up in the draft. They can choose the best QB of one of the best draft classes in a long time.

I know this is a good QB class, but is it full of NFL ready QBs? A lot of NCAA teams don't play QB under centre a lot, and even in throwing, from what I've seen of Darnold, Rosen, Jackson, Allen and Mayfield, they are still quite raw. I think Mayfield might be able to play in a scramble mode, but I'm not sure any of them are in the same mould as a DeShaun Watson, Cam Newton or even Jameis Winston in their readiness to play.

stew

Quote from: Oraisteach on January 11, 2018, 12:52:27 AM
Stew, I know we're bad, but the Browns have won Divisional titles and 4 NFL ones, albeit aeons ago.

Post modern Artistic License Orais, I want youse to win for the people, it is a brilliant sports town altogether, kinda like Green Bay in that regard, only much bigger and with less championships. )
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

gallsman

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 11, 2018, 12:26:00 PM
Spending money in free agency wisely is what a lot of the top achieving teams are doing. I think Cousins alone would transform that offence.....would be the first time he had decent weapons at his disposal. I know Crowell isn't great but he's just about adequate. Gordon and Coleman are genuine playmakers as is Duke Johnson and I like the look of Njoku. There's no reason why the Browns couldn't pick up 6 wins next season.

Coleman? Has had an absolute bust of a season.

Spending money wisely in free agency is a very rare thing in the NFL.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 11, 2018, 12:28:25 PM
It would make no sense that a team as bad as the Browns, owning the first pick, would even be in the Cousins market. Not unless they think Rosen. Allen, Darnold and even Mayfield are totally useless. Even Lamar Jackson being developed under Hue Jackson would be more attractive to my eyes. Sinking so much cap space at QB when rebuilding doesn't fly with me.
I think it would make some sense. Not saying it will happen but Cousins is only 29 and is a better QB day one than any of the college QB's. He's thrown for over 4000 yards with a better than 2:1 TD/INT ratio this past 3 years.
If it were up to me I'd probably take a QB at 1, Barkley at 4 if he's still there (if not take a RB in 2nd round) and then spend their money on defense, similar to what Jacksonville have done.

I don't doubt he's good but when you're 1-31 over the last two seasons you're not exactly printed for a playoff push. A cap friendly franchise QB that you can get five cheap years out of seems the smart play. It's not like they have to spend any more of their picks to move up in the draft. They can choose the best QB of one of the best draft classes in a long time.

I know this is a good QB class, but is it full of NFL ready QBs? A lot of NCAA teams don't play QB under centre a lot, and even in throwing, from what I've seen of Darnold, Rosen, Jackson, Allen and Mayfield, they are still quite raw. I think Mayfield might be able to play in a scramble mode, but I'm not sure any of them are in the same mould as a DeShaun Watson, Cam Newton or even Jameis Winston in their readiness to play.

Rosen played in a pro style system, he's definitely more ready on paper than Watson (who I couldn't believe was so underrated heading into the draft, it was clear he has the X factor you want from a franchise QB) or even Cam. I'm probably more interested to see where Mayfield and Jackson end up, the Browns have an awful record of ruining perfectly good QBs so it mightn't matter who they pick.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on January 11, 2018, 12:54:21 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 11, 2018, 12:28:25 PM

Rosen played in a pro style system, he's definitely more ready on paper than Watson (who I couldn't believe was so underrated heading int the draft, it was clear he has the X factor you want from a franchise QB) or even Cam. I'm probably more interested to see where Mayfield and Jackson end up, the Browns have any awful record of ruining perfectly good QBs so it mightn't matter who they pick.

Watson did a hell of a lot of work on his throwing motion after the season and before the draft. He was not ready in January, albeit he definitely had the intangibles. Now he seems to have gotten better with his footwork and release, and he's excellent. Hopefully this injury doesn't make him regress.

Gabriel_Hurl

3 UK games released

QuoteSeattle Seahawks vs. Oakland Raiders, Tottenham stadium, Oct. 14.

Philadelphia Eagles vs. Jacksonville Jaguars, Wembley Stadium, Oct. 21 or 28.

Tennessee Titans vs. Los Angeles Chargers, Wembley Stadium, Oct. 21 or 28.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 11, 2018, 04:36:14 PM
3 UK games released

I'll probably try get to Eagles Jags.

magpie seanie

3 UK games released

Will there be a 4th? Thinking of Seahawks/Raiders unless there's a 4th game involving Chicago. Had been rumours of Bears @ Dolphins.

Declan

QuoteI'll probably try get to Eagles Jags.

Will have to try and get that to that one.

when do tickets come out?

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 11, 2018, 04:39:36 PM
3 UK games released

Will there be a 4th? Thinking of Seahawks/Raiders unless there's a 4th game involving Chicago. Had been rumours of Bears @ Dolphins.

Not looking like it Seanie

QuoteThe decision to cut back from four games to three in 2018 was made in part to ensure the new Tottenham Hotspur stadium is in order following its opening.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905327/article/nfl-announces-three-enticing-london-2018-matchups?campaign=tw-nf-sf178928818-sf178928818&sf178928818=1

Declan - ticket info released next week - the 18th

Ticketing details will be announced by NFL UK on January 18. Anyone interested in registering their interest in attending any of the games can do so at www.ticketmaster.com/nfl to ensure they receive all the latest information.

Syferus

The Chargers would be as well to play all their home games in London.

magpie seanie

Ah, that's that so. A mate of mine is a Raiders fan and will be on for that one but I'd go to any of them. Even Titans/Chargers would be good if the Titans had proper coaching on offence.

Clov

On the Browns, as bad as their record has been the last 2 years I still don't think they were any worse than the Niners pre the Garropolo trade or the Rams prior to hiring McVay. A decent QB and good coaching can go a long way in the NFL.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

stew

Quote from: Clov on January 11, 2018, 10:34:25 PM
On the Browns, as bad as their record has been the last 2 years I still don't think they were any worse than the Niners pre the Garropolo trade or the Rams prior to hiring McVay. A decent QB and good coaching can go a long way in the NFL.

Not when you are 0-16, trade the first pick, trade the second pick and get as many 3-5th round picks as you can, when you are this bad you need to take chances, a blue chip QB is not going to be ready to get pounded for 2-3 years and coaches no longer have that time, get a servicable QB and draft the future QB next year and go from there.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Declan

QuoteDeclan - ticket info released next week - the 18th

Ticketing details will be announced by NFL UK on January 18. Anyone interested in registering their interest in attending any of the games can do so at www.ticketmaster.com/nfl to ensure they receive all the latest information.

Cheers Gab. Was on the bucket list to attend an Eagles game in the City of Liberty but Wembley might have to do :)l