Kerry Delight, Antrim Despair

Started by AZOffaly, April 13, 2015, 10:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

You often hear that when counties aren't going well, or achieving their perceived potential. I know folk in Antrim think there's an unhealthy atmosphere among some clubs, and Galway in the 90s was poisonous at some stages too. (Still is some would say). Laois used to cut each others throats as well, Camross and Castletown would slaughter each other if they could. I think in Kerry, the truth is the county board has little interest in hurling, and because of it's isolated nature (I think there's only 2 clubs south of Mid Kerry) you need to get a great crop to be competitive. They don't have great crops, and the county board didn't even enter them in the Munster Championship so it's hard to build on nothing. This result is huge for them, and maybe they could go on and win a Christy Ring as well.

The club thing sometimes seems like an excuse. Once you pull together as a county board, a panel and a management, club rivalries can be left outside the door. Rynaghs would murder Birr in their beds, but it never stopped them hurling with each other.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2015, 09:48:34 AM
You often hear that when counties aren't going well, or achieving their perceived potential. I know folk in Antrim think there's an unhealthy atmosphere among some clubs, and Galway in the 90s was poisonous at some stages too. (Still is some would say). Laois used to cut each others throats as well, Camross and Castletown would slaughter each other if they could. I think in Kerry, the truth is the county board has little interest in hurling, and because of it's isolated nature (I think there's only 2 clubs south of Mid Kerry) you need to get a great crop to be competitive. They don't have great crops, and the county board didn't even enter them in the Munster Championship so it's hard to build on nothing. This result is huge for them, and maybe they could go on and win a Christy Ring as well.

The club thing sometimes seems like an excuse. Once you pull together as a county board, a panel and a management, club rivalries can be left outside the door. Rynaghs would murder Birr in their beds, but it never stopped them hurling with each other.

Kerry should win the CR this year (in saying that, they should have won it last year), but that won't bring them on in any way.

There's room for the CR to include the round robin losers in Leinster, upping the standard in it a bit, but the only downside would be the additional hindrance to club games in the competing counties, but as the early rounds of the CR and Leinster and quite early in the year, it could be workable.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2015, 09:48:34 AM

The club v county thing is also a vicious circle in that the less relative success the county is having the more likely it is that individuals and clubs can't be arsed giving the county setup 100% backing.

laoislad

QuoteLaois used to cut each others throats as well, Camross and Castletown would slaughter each other if they could
Used to?!
Ah I suppose it's not as bad as it was.
The worst thing about that though was most of them were related to each other!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

macdanger2

Quote from: laoislad on April 14, 2015, 02:05:03 PM
QuoteLaois used to cut each others throats as well, Camross and Castletown would slaughter each other if they could
Used to?!
Ah I suppose it's not as bad as it was.
The worst thing about that though was most of them were related to each other!

Isn't everyone in Laois??

Plain of the Herbs

Delighted to see Kerry hurling making progress and building on the success of Causeway Comprehensive.  I see Pádraig boyle, DAn Collins and Dougie Fitzell are among the CC past pupils to make the step up.

I don't like singling out individuals, but is Shane Dunne (Ballyheigue) still hurling?  The nearest thing I have seen to DJ Carey in stride and strike.

ojonathanrossa

Well done Kerry. We need to get our shit together though.

AQMP

Antrim hurling all over the shop.  I doubt we'll even field for the Christy Ring at this rate!  Check out the  Antrim Hurling pages.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AQMP on April 01, 2016, 02:22:54 PM
Antrim hurling all over the shop.  I doubt we'll even field for the Christy Ring at this rate!  Check out the  Antrim Hurling pages.

Just did, at Mayo's low ebbs, things haven't been that bad. Jesus!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 02, 2016, 09:35:05 AM
Quote from: AQMP on April 01, 2016, 02:22:54 PM

Just did, at Mayo's low ebbs, things haven't been that bad. Jesus!

Just had a read there, grim stuff

AZOffaly

Jaysus I took a look. You often hear things like 'that setup is like a soap opera', but in this case it's true. A script writer would balk at it because it sounds too far fetched.