Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: illdecide on July 17, 2018, 10:21:48 AM
Went out on Sunday morning for a small run, first time in about 5 years running and i have to say it was tough. I had the sense to not go too far first time out but only done 2 1/2 miles and it was bad. My leg muscles after run didn't know what had hit them and still sore today, i ran slow enough (eight and a half minute miles) but could't believe how hard the leg muscles got it.

I played football all my life until 8 years ago and took up cycling 4 years ago, wouldn't think twice about cycling 100 miles so am fit enough but couldn't believe what a 2 1/2 mile jog done to me...
In fairness it works both ways. As far as running goes I'd consider myself fairly fit at the moment.
I went back cycling though a month or so ago and my first time out I nearly collapsed off the bike at the end. It's like anything though, keep doing it and it gets better.
First night out I think I only averaged 21kph, after a few weeks I was doing the same route at 28kph.
Me personally though I don't get the same buzz from cycling as I do from running.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on July 17, 2018, 12:50:14 PM
Went out on Sunday morning for a small run, first time in about 5 years running and i have to say it was tough. I had the sense to not go too far first time out but only done 2 1/2 miles and it was bad. My leg muscles after run didn't know what had hit them and still sore today, i ran slow enough (eight and a half minute miles) but could't believe how hard the leg muscles got it.

I played football all my life until 8 years ago and took up cycling 4 years ago, wouldn't think twice about cycling 100 miles so am fit enough but couldn't believe what a 2 1/2 mile jog done to me...
In fairness it works both ways. As far as running goes I'd consider myself fairly fit at the moment.
I went back cycling though a month or so ago and my first time out I nearly collapsed off the bike at the end. It's like anything though, keep doing it and it gets better.
First night out I think I only averaged 21kph, after a few weeks I was doing the same route at 28kph.
Me personally though I don't get the same buzz from cycling as I do from running.

Have you tried going out in a group - lots of cycling clubs around Dublin that cater for beginners/improvers

GJL

Give mountain biking a go. I ride on the road and the MTB and get a much better buzz on the MTB. Can be very tough as well.

laoislad

Quote from: heffo on July 17, 2018, 12:54:41 PM

Have you tried going out in a group - lots of cycling clubs around Dublin that cater for beginners/improvers
I haven't no. Maybe next year.
Marathon training just started so will be concentrating on that until end of October.

illdecide

Laoislad i agree cycling can be a bit boring depending on the route but the last 10 mile of a decent size run and the group hits the turbo button for home and you're chewing the handle bars trying to hold on is great craic, your legs are burning beyond recognition and your lungs can't get enough oxygen in. Then sitting on the sofa like a busted flush all day after it knowing you emptied the tank and couldn't have given any more.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

imtommygunn

I would say the same ll. I don't get the same out of cycling. I do like it but just not as much as the running. I have done a few sportives etc too.

Milltown Row2

Any good online sports shops for trainers?  My Hokas are done! Looking new trainers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Ballinaman getting married today and still had time to do a Park Run this morning!*

CornUladh02

I think it's called getting the dirty diesel out of your system!!

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on July 28, 2018, 01:29:39 PM
Ballinaman getting married today and still had time to do a Park Run this morning!*
Thanks LL. Good craic !

illdecide

Quote from: ballinaman on July 30, 2018, 08:09:33 AM
Thanks LL. Good craic !

Fair play to you lad, start as you mean to go on
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Milltown Row2

Quote from: illdecide on July 30, 2018, 09:18:32 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 30, 2018, 08:09:33 AM
Thanks LL. Good craic !

Fair play to you lad, start as you mean to go on

He's obviously not read the Mid life crisis thread  :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jim Bob

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2018, 10:19:18 PM
Any good online sports shops for trainers?  My Hokas are done! Looking new trainers

Sports Direct

Jim Bob

Have I got this 'runners knee? 
Started running again at start of July and have built up to 5k. I noticed when I started that I had pain in my right knee when I climbed up or downstairs especially walking down stairs. 
The pain  is surrounding my knee and not on kneecap itself. I continued to run as there was no pain in doing so  whatsoever. Do I need to stop running anyway until this goes away and would a physio be my best option? Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jim Bob on August 05, 2018, 09:15:57 AM
Have I got this 'runners knee? 
Started running again at start of July and have built up to 5k. I noticed when I started that I had pain in my right knee when I climbed up or downstairs especially walking down stairs. 
The pain  is surrounding my knee and not on kneecap itself. I continued to run as there was no pain in doing so  whatsoever. Do I need to stop running anyway until this goes away and would a physio be my best option? Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Is the pain along side your knee? It's a shitty injury but will eventually work it's way out! Use the Roller and work it out, the T band can be a bollox but there are plenty better here at telling you from a professional background what's best to do