NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: Rossfan on February 12, 2019, 09:47:15 AM
Thanks Seafóidín.
We've improved by 3-14 against Tyrone anyways.

Maybe we've got worse by 3-14?
That was never a square ball!!

Maroon Manc

What did the Galway posters make of Antaine O'Laoi? I thought he played well, certainly is too light but certainly has the pace and skillset to trouble a good defender. Cunnigham is very frustrating but its too be expected given he's played very little football for 5 years; No problem in winning the ball but its hard to know whats going to happen when he gets it, scored a good point against the wind with his weaker foot and should have scored a goal but lacked composure. Just think its might be another year to two before we see the best of him.

John Daly looks the part although he's got work to do on his strength but thats to be expected given he's still u21. Wynne is mobile enough but is just not a good enough defender of good enough on the ball to be playing. O'Donnell looks like he's coming to the end, pace wise he's never been quick but looks to have slowed down from last year; Duane isn't that quick either but has overtaken O'Donnell if it was up to me. Cooke looked shattered after 5 minutes, thankfully he has no game mid week.

Delighted to get the result, really didn't see it coming with all the lads missing. Galway certainly hit more than any other team in div 1 with injuries and then there's the Corofin lads missing too.

Galway excellent against the wind but woeful with it, thats got to change. That first 15 minutes was dreadful stuff, appalling to watch.

TheGreatest

Fair play to Kerry, good game of ball, good atmosphere around the town afterwards.

There is nothing like a couple of defeats to put the sting in the tail for the Dubs, the only thing that matters is the Super 8s onwards.

Mayo Kerry league final would be welcomed.

Crete Boom

Quote from: TheGreatest on February 12, 2019, 12:25:38 PM
Fair play to Kerry, good game of ball, good atmosphere around the town afterwards.

There is nothing like a couple of defeats to put the sting in the tail for the Dubs, the only thing that matters is the Super 8s onwards.

Gavin definitely had to tailor your season to build fitness towards the championship more than recent years as the physical and mental strain would probably have been too much on the journey to the drive for five if you went all out to dominate the league, and you can see lads like Mannion, Cooper, Fenton, McAuley, Rock, Howard etc.. are getting sharper with every game.
It will be interesting to see how our new boys will get on against the All Ireland champs Sat week in Croker. I think the wider faster pitch compared to the McHale Park sanded bog will better suit our style under Horan and it will be intriguing to see if this plus the obvious extra work our lads have over the Dubs at the moment will be enough to bridge the huge gap between us in previous league meetings.

weareros

Hound

Quote from: Crete Boom on February 12, 2019, 12:56:58 PM

Gavin definitely had to tailor your season to build fitness towards the championship more than recent years as the physical and mental strain would probably have been too much on the journey to the drive for five if you went all out to dominate the league, and you can see lads like Mannion, Cooper, Fenton, McAuley, Rock, Howard etc.. are getting sharper with every game.
It will be interesting to see how our new boys will get on against the All Ireland champs Sat week in Croker. I think the wider faster pitch compared to the McHale Park sanded bog will better suit our style under Horan and it will be intriguing to see if this plus the obvious extra work our lads have over the Dubs at the moment will be enough to bridge the huge gap between us in previous league meetings.
It's far from make or break, but I still think Gavin would prefer Dubs to be in a league final. It's a competitive game, which is great preparation and you learn more from competitive games than any other. And while come August, many might not care who had won the league, on the day every single player on both sides will be doing their best to win.

In the 90s winning the league was seen in a similar fashion to winning the Par 3 in Augusta. There was only 1 double in a 13 year period.
Whereas from 2003 onwards there's been 9 doubles done.
A lot of people think that Dubs learning to beat Tyrone and Kerry in the league, helped us learn how to finally beat them in the championship, after years of being nearlymen.

The last year the Dubs didn't make the league final, 2012, we didn't win Sam. There was the 2011 hangover, so maybe not the biggest surprise. But in hindsight getting to a competitive league final, which I'd say we most likely would have lost, would have been the best thing that could have happened to us. Instead the first really competitive game we had, we were knocked out of the championship.

Certainly getting to a league final has never hurt us under the Gilroy/Gavin years, so while Jim won't lose any sleep over it, I'd be pretty sure he'd prefer to stick with the winning formula and get that extra competitive game in. Unless, maybe he thinks we'll get it against Meath for a change in Leinster!

seafoid

Quote from: Hound on February 12, 2019, 04:10:43 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on February 12, 2019, 12:56:58 PM

It's far from make or break, but I still think Gavin would prefer Dubs to be in a league final. It's a competitive game, which is great preparation and you learn more from competitive games than any other. And while come August, many might not care who had won the league, on the day every single player on both sides will be doing their best to win.

In the 90s winning the league was seen in a similar fashion to winning the Par 3 in Augusta. There was only 1 double in a 13 year period.
Whereas from 2003 onwards there's been 9 doubles done.
A lot of people think that Dubs learning to beat Tyrone and Kerry in the league, helped us learn how to finally beat them in the championship, after years of being nearlymen.

The last year the Dubs didn't make the league final, 2012, we didn't win Sam. There was the 2011 hangover, so maybe not the biggest surprise. But in hindsight getting to a competitive league final, which I'd say we most likely would have lost, would have been the best thing that could have happened to us. Instead the first really competitive game we had, we were knocked out of the championship.

Certainly getting to a league final has never hurt us under the Gilroy/Gavin years, so while Jim won't lose any sleep over it, I'd be pretty sure he'd prefer to stick with the winning formula and get that extra competitive game in. Unless, maybe he thinks we'll get it against Meath for a change in Leinster!

https://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=24931.0
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

larryin89

I can't understand this craic of thinking Dublin are out of the running to win the league , do ye not think they are capable of winning all their remaining games ? Personally I think they will win it out and in style too.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

seafoid

Quote from: larryin89 on February 12, 2019, 05:31:40 PM
I can't understand this craic of thinking Dublin are out of the running to win the league , do ye not think they are capable of winning all their remaining games ? Personally I think they will win it out and in style too.

The top two teams in Division 1 contest the National Football League final. The bottom two teams are relegated to Division 2.

If 2 teams end on one loss each and the Dubs win the next 4 games and have 2 losses they won't qualify

Mayo, Kerry, Galway and Ros all have superior losses to the Dubs . I don't think the Dubs are interested in the League this year

Maroon Manc

I expect them to win all their remaining games, whether thats enough to get them to a league final I don't know.

I'm surprised at the ex Kerry players the last few days, cute Kerry hoorism appears to have disappeared and they've got a bit carried away. Then there's the media, in the last 3 weeks they've got carried away with Monaghan, Mayo and now Kerry. I've not seen anything from anyone to suggest they could get within a few scores of Dublin, Kerry in particular conceded 2 goals against Dublin; Peter Keane will certainly be alarmed at how easy both goals were.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on February 12, 2019, 05:38:16 PM
The top two teams in Division 1 contest the National Football League final. The bottom two teams are relegated to Division 2.

seafoid

I was just looking at the odds there
Tyrone have drifted out from 8/1 to 50/1
The bookies obviously hate Tyrone as well

tonto1888

Quote from: seafoid on February 12, 2019, 05:38:16 PM

If 2 teams end on one loss each and the Dubs win the next 4 games and have 2 losses they won't qualify

Mayo, Kerry, Galway and Ros all have superior losses to the Dubs . I don't think the Dubs are interested in the League this year

Superior losses?

Ringfort

I've really enjoyed the league again this year, three rounds in, plenty of stories and intrigue. The super 8s were introduced to try and improve the structural mess of the championship and there is constant talk of tiered championships. Maybe the powers that be were over complicating things. The perfect tiered competition is staring them in the face and more and more people are open about the league being the best competition we have. How about we just improve what we have???

Give the league more prominence.
Cut out the flab out of the championshiip.

I would run the league and championship concurrently. Three league divisions of 10,10,12 played from March to June. Championship starting in April and an open draw straight knockout played in between league games much like the soccer in England does the FA Cup. League semis and finals in July. AI final August bank holiday weekend.

Provincial championships played in Jan/Feb as stand alone competitions directly replacing FBD, McGrath cup etc.

Crucially, club leagues run in tandem with the county season from March to July. WITHOUT county panelists unless deliberately released by county management. Club championship played with full panel when county season over in August, Sept and October.

I know this is a bit off topic but I've just been thinking of ways to improve the league as you still get the very top teams (Kerry, Dublin ) giving it the "arra it's only the league we won't be getting excited" and "we're only back 4 weeks ie we don't give a shit" when for everyone else it's the best competition they have yet isn't given the full respect it deserves.

oliverkelly

Quote from: seafoid on February 12, 2019, 06:35:11 PM
I was just looking at the odds there
Tyrone have drifted out from 8/1 to 50/1
The bookies obviously hate Tyrone as well

Wouldnt say that just reckon they've copped there operating at a way lower level and had a terrible ref not gave them multiple favourable decisions they woukd have one less point