NFL Division 2 2019

Started by Horse Box, November 22, 2018, 04:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: FermGael on January 27, 2019, 08:11:52 PM
The first half was the worst 37 minutes I have ever sat through.
Both teams were just awful. 13 men behind the ball at all times and a load of side ways passing. Fermanagh in particular didn't break with any pace and didn't commit enough men to the attack.

Second half was alot better. Fermanagh hit 4 points in the first 5 minutes .  It was unreal .  Rumours that there might have been a few cardiac arrests in the stand such was the shock at seeing such attacking football.
Fermanagh then stretched the lead to 2 points but then hit wide after wide. Cork then got a goal against the run of play and decided to park the bus and then play keep ball. By this stage they had been reduced to 14 men. Cork had a few chances to get the insurance point but keep making stupid decisions when they simple point was on. Fermanaghs equaliser came from a Cork Free kick where the Cork man just kicked it straight to the Fermanagh midfielder Ryan Jones. Jones then kicked it into his brother Conal for an attacking mark.  The Cork defender then punched the ball out of his hands and the referee moved the mark closer to goal making a very hard mark a very easy mark.
Honestly Fermangh should have won but were lucky in the end to get the draw.
Massive game next week against Tipperary.
Cork are in big bother.

Draws usually turn out to be very bad results for sides battling relegation, especially in a 7 game league.

Since Cork came out with their five year football plan a few weeks back -

- a selector quit (and isn't being replaced)
- lost to Clare (and their only realistic chance of silverware this year)
- the U20 manager quit (as well as the whole management team apparently)
- drew with Fermanagh
- not to mention friend of Frank taking out a High Court injunction to prevent himself being made redundant
- plus it seems like they still haven't figured how many millions the Pairc Ui Frank is over-budget (says a world about how well the whole stadium project was managed - they know they are over
   budget but can't seem to figure out by exactly how much)

Erne Man

Ferm Gael - hard to argue with anything you said there. The only thing i'd add was the 3 chances that dropped short after we got our noses in front (2 of which the keeper caught above the cross bar), which were even more demoralising than the bad wides. A game we should have won, but lucky to get the draw in.
This has all the makings of a poor league for us. We have a couple of defenders to return, but we looked reasonably comfortable today with the 14man blanket we had. We offer nothing up front in terms of movement or direct running - and are very easy to defend against - we had that 15minute purple patch after half-time, but there doesnt appear to be the emphasis from the line to play that way for longer spells in the game. Once Cork got to grips with the limited attacking options we had, we returned to being very pedestrian again. Division 2 is a big step up from 3, and we arent going to score more than 10-12pts in any game which wont win too many.
I can't speak for the the other 3 games in the Division today, but if there are 2 poorer teams than Fermanagh and Cork I would be very surprised. We have a tough away schedule and will really struggle to pick up more points.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/national-football-league-division-two-county-by-county-guide-1.3766585Manager: Kieran McGeeney (5th season)

"Selectors: Jim McCorry, Paddy McKeever, Denis Hollywood
Last good league: Division Three champions 2018
With Jamie Clarke, James Morgan and Stefan Campbell back on board, Armagh look to be starting to get their legs under them. That said, McGeeney's panel is still pretty young on the whole and lacking in experience. Rian O'Neill, Jemar Hall and Jason Duffy lead the fresher faces and McGeeney will look to bring them on apace."

Geezer is in situ for 5 years and the players are "lacking in experience" .

I bet Cavan with Graham will overtake them

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

This is sad

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/national-football-league-division-two-county-by-county-guide-1.3766585

Manager: Andy McEntee (3rd season)
Selectors: Finian Murtagh, Donal Curtis, Gerry Cooney
Páraic Harnan and Mickey Newman are back in harness after a year away from McEntee's squad, while the re-imagining of Summerhill forward Barry Dardis as a goalkeeper is an experiment worth noting. Joey and Eamonn Wallace are long-term absentees with injury. Meath have been in Division Two for seven leagues in a row – hard to see them being good enough or bad enough to change that in 2019.

Captain Scarlet

Anyone changing predictions after Week 1??
Kildare will be happy coming back to get a draw, but will be delighted that Hyland and Masterson had such an impact from the U20 team.
Donegal got the win in Ennis, so you would imagine those three are the ones pushing hardest to go up.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

smelmoth

Quote from: seafoid on January 28, 2019, 09:31:09 AM

Maybe players in their first or second year in the squad or team do not automatically accrue 5 years experience on day 1? Just a thought.

I would be very surprised if at the end of the league we will not have demonstrated improvement. That will be influenced by a combination of returning players, improving/maturing players and actual improvements by the group Geezer has been working with. So even then after the improvement opinions will continue to be divided.

Also confident of us actually winning an Ulster championship match.

After that who knows??

There is talent there and depth. More depth than anybody since McDonnell have had.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: smelmoth on January 28, 2019, 03:53:57 PM

Maybe players in their first or second year in the squad or team do not automatically accrue 5 years experience on day 1? Just a thought.

I would be very surprised if at the end of the league we will not have demonstrated improvement. That will be influenced by a combination of returning players, improving/maturing players and actual improvements by the group Geezer has been working with. So even then after the improvement opinions will continue to be divided.

After that who knows??

There is talent there and depth. More depth than anybody since McDonnell have had.

+1

No excuses for McGeeney after this year with a full hand to play.

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on January 28, 2019, 04:11:43 PM

After that who knows??

+1

No excuses for McGeeney after this year with a full hand to play.

No Andrew Murnin
No Oisin O'Neill
No Ethan Rafferty

Your definition of full hand and mine appear to differ!

tonto1888

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/national-football-league-division-two-county-by-county-guide-1.3766585Manager: Kieran McGeeney (5th season)

"Selectors: Jim McCorry, Paddy McKeever, Denis Hollywood
Last good league: Division Three champions 2018
With Jamie Clarke, James Morgan and Stefan Campbell back on board, Armagh look to be starting to get their legs under them. That said, McGeeney's panel is still pretty young on the whole and lacking in experience. Rian O'Neill, Jemar Hall and Jason Duffy lead the fresher faces and McGeeney will look to bring them on apace."

Just because the manager has been in place for 5 years doesn't mean players can't be lacking in experience

seafoid

After that who knows??

I thought it implied that there has been little continuity over his period in charge
Compare to what Mickey Graham has in store for Cavan. It is all about the iterations 

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/with-mullinalaghta-and-cavan-mickey-graham-has-every-plate-spinning-1.3769530

"Yeah, it just seems for the last number of years that there's been a fierce turnover of players for various reasons," Graham says. "Whether it's the commitment or lads travelling or injuries or lads not believing that they're good enough to go on and be successful, there's been lots of reasons. It's been disappointing that every year you seem to have a bunch of new players. From my point of view, I'm hoping to bring a bit of continuity

"I said to them the first day I spoke to them – there's no quick fix here. Things aren't going to happen within six months or 12 months. This is a journey that could take two, three, four years. To create the environment I want, to put the stamp on their set-up that I want, none of it is going to happen overnight.
"It's a matter of the boys buying into it and seeing the bigger picture. For new lads in to develop as players physically and mentally, it could take a few years so everyone has to realise that. It's going to be a tough year or two to begin"

smelmoth

Quote from: seafoid on January 29, 2019, 10:39:43 AM

After that who knows??

I thought it implied that there has been little continuity over his period in charge

Continuity has been disrupted. One of the cause has been players opting in and out. That may have something to do with management or it may not. Its certainly not confined to Armagh. Continuity has also been impacted by injuries and better young players coming to the fore. Sometimes when you have players breaking through continuity can be overrated

seafoid

Quote from: smelmoth on January 29, 2019, 12:02:37 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 29, 2019, 10:39:43 AM

After that who knows??

Continuity has been disrupted. One of the cause has been players opting in and out. That may have something to do with management or it may not. Its certainly not confined to Armagh. Continuity has also been impacted by injuries and better young players coming to the fore. Sometimes when you have players breaking through continuity can be overrated
Let's see what haoppens

Captain Scarlet

Jaysus lads this reminds me of Kildare fan forums and pub talk re Geezer...Christ you still can't mention him on one forum for fear of opening old wounds.
He does split opinion and in Kildare there was a thing whereby he was immune from criticism from one point of view and the cause of all our problems towards the end of reign from another.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

smelmoth

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on January 29, 2019, 12:31:11 PM
Jaysus lads this reminds me of Kildare fan forums and pub talk re Geezer...Christ you still can't mention him on one forum for fear of opening old wounds.
He does split opinion and in Kildare there was a thing whereby he was immune from criticism from one point of view and the cause of all our problems towards the end of reign from another.

He does split opinions. Working that out is the easy bit. Working out which opinion is right is the real stumper

Maroon Manc

How many of that Donegal team that started were part of the u21's from 2 years ago?

Donegal must be missing a lot through injury.