Don't go anymore
4 (10%)
My county/club has never played there.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: September 19, 2017, 10:38:36 AM

Dinny Breen

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/croke-park-internet-connectivity-372606

So this is corporate GAA's idea of improving the Croke Park experience, couldn't be any more corporate. We need to get kids away from their devices and start living in the moment and capture it in their minds not on their phones.

To me the Croke Park Experience is

1. Overpriced tickets
2. Crap atmosphere
3. Expensive Parking
4. Crap food at all levels

I have serious Croke Park fatigue, Corporate GAA have sucked the joy out of the stadium. Provincial grounds so much better. My highlight of the summer was kicking a football around with my son and daughter in O'Connor Park after the Kildare/Meath game. That was an experience and a memory.
#newbridgeornowhere

Redhand Santa

Personally love going to games in croke park. Tickets usually good value though food/drink inside the ground over priced. I wouldn't argue that the atmosphere can be poor at some games but for others it's brilliant. The Kerry Mayo semi final had a great atmosphere as did last years semi finals and finals in the football. From talking to one's at it there was a great atmosphere at the hurling final.

There was a poor atmosphere at the Tyrone Dublin game due to how the game went but I was in for the two games before it that day and thought there was a great buzz around the ground. There was a stage up out the back of the cusack and plenty going on in the couple of hours before the senior game. Even for early season games I thought the Tyrone Dublin league game was a good night out.

ashman

As a hurling person there are now only 4 big games played in Croke Park .  three games this year were great events because of the big crowds , enthusiasm and the games were great contests .  The Leinster final too was a wonderful event albeit not a great contest .

Syferus

For people outside Leinster it's fine, and still signifies serious progress being there. The rest is secondary. Still the best stadium in Ireland by a distance.

Smokin Joe

I had a chuckle at this line in the linked balls.ie article in the OP:

"Tomás Meehan is the GAA's Chief Information Officer - he also won an All-Ireland with Galway in 1998 and an All-Ireland club title with Caltra in 2004. When you step inside the doors of Croke Park, presume everyone has an All-Ireland medal, even the person asking if you'd like milk with your coffee."

I wonder what were the chances that the best person for that role would have won Sam Maguire?

Syferus

Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 12, 2017, 01:22:05 PM

"Tomás Meehan is the GAA's Chief Information Officer - he also won an All-Ireland with Galway in 1998 and an All-Ireland club title with Caltra in 2004. When you step inside the doors of Croke Park, presume everyone has an All-Ireland medal, even the person asking if you'd like milk with your coffee."

I wonder what were the chances that the best person for that role would have won Sam Maguire?

Quite high?

PW Nally

Quote from: Syferus on September 12, 2017, 01:23:49 PM

Quite high?
I'd say you are.

heffo

Quite high?

The shortlist for the role only comprised IC or ex-IC players.

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 12, 2017, 10:38:36 AM
https://www.balls.ie/gaa/croke-park-internet-connectivity-372606

So this is corporate GAA's idea of improving the Croke Park experience, couldn't be any more corporate. We need to get kids away from their devices and start living in the moment and capture it in their minds not on their phones.

To me the Croke Park Experience is

1. Overpriced tickets
2. Crap atmosphere
3. Expensive Parking
4. Crap food at all levels

I have serious Croke Park fatigue, Corporate GAA have sucked the joy out of the stadium. Provincial grounds so much better. My highlight of the summer was kicking a football around with my son and daughter in O'Connor Park after the Kildare/Meath game. That was an experience and a memory.
Dinny, please name any venue in ireland that can feed more than 2000 people where the food is good.
the food has nothing to do with the GAA imo. I am quite willing to flog your Shergar but I would draw the line at bringing in food. 

If motorway restaurant food was quality you might have a point.
The attitude across the country in my experience is lowest common carvery.
Neil Postman has a great quote

"One way of looking at the history of the human group is that it has been a continuing struggle against the veneration of crap"
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

I love the matches but I think the extras are shite

Smokin Joe

Quote from: heffo on September 12, 2017, 02:46:59 PM

Quite high?

The shortlist for the role only comprised IC or ex-IC players.

Really?  Is that even legal?  Or is that just the way the shortlist ended up having been open to all potential candidates?

Syferus

Quote from: PW Nally on September 12, 2017, 02:29:49 PM

Quite high?
I'd say you are.

You look like a bit of a tit.

GalwayBayBoy

Never knew that. Passed Tomas on the street outside the hurling final. Presumed he was just up for the match.

Captain Scarlet

Croke Park experience is a bit subjective. Kildare haven't won a serious game there in a fair while and the fans are staying away, but you can't blame that on the venue. Compare that to nice days in O'Connor Park where they hammered Laois and Meath then the vibes are different.
Also there does tend to be rose-tinted spectacles in terms of the older days with those hard wooden seats and there wasn't much food at all that I remember.
I know I am lucky in that I used to live in Fairview so did the odd neutral trip, but I find the whole thing to be great. I know I was spoilt in that I had to walk ten minutes and not worry about parking, but the actual stadium for the big games is still class.
I still think the regional venues should get more games.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

I think Croke Park is too expensive and it makes the GAA do stuff that is not in its long term interest .