Connacht Minor, U-20 and Junior championships 2020

Started by Farrandeelin, April 25, 2018, 08:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Connacht Minor Championship Round 1
Mayo 2-8 Leitrim 0-4 halftime

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 02, 2018, 08:35:00 PM
Good win for Mayo considering the strength of the two sides that started. McStay's sides are consistent can score high and concede too much and if the latter isn't corrected the Rossies will not be reaching the super 8 this summer.

I'm sure a junior match played in early May will have a lot of bearing on the summer ahead. I've heard it all now.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on May 02, 2018, 08:44:05 PM
If a team with 10/12 of our real Senior panel can't bate a crowd from Mayo Junior and Inter club players it doesn't inspire much confidence for the Summer.
Conceding 2-15 to junior/Inter forwards!!!!
Will 10/12 of that Roscommon team make the championship match day 26 this summer, surely a number of players will have played themselves out of that panel now after that result tonight?

Great result for Mayo they play leitrim next who beat them in the final of this competition last year.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on May 02, 2018, 08:59:13 PM
Good win for Mayo considering the strength of the two sides that started. McStay's sides are consistent can score high and concede too much and if the latter isn't corrected the Rossies will not be reaching the super 8 this summer.

I'm sure a junior match played in early May will have a lot of bearing on the summer ahead. I've heard it all now.

Given the different eligibility rules and the fact that Mayo mgmt were only put in place in the past month, it's a terrible result for the Rossies and a very unexpected and welcome result for Mayo.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 02, 2018, 08:59:57 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 02, 2018, 08:44:05 PM
If a team with 10/12 of our real Senior panel can't bate a crowd from Mayo Junior and Inter club players it doesn't inspire much confidence for the Summer.
Conceding 2-15 to junior/Inter forwards!!!!
Will 10/12 of that Roscommon team make the championship match day 26 this summer, surely a number of players will have played themselves out of that panel now after that result tonight?

Great result for Mayo they play leitrim next who beat them in the final of this competition last year.
Featherstone Domican 2 Dalys Harney 2 Lennons C Cregg plus Walsh D'Arcy Timothy anyway.
Terrible result ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on May 02, 2018, 09:02:19 PM

Given the different eligibility rules and the fact that Mayo mgmt were only put in place in the past month, it's a terrible result for the Rossies and a very unexpected and welcome result for Mayo.

We didn't even bother fielding a team in this competition for half a decade and when we did it was a reserve team of senior panelists.

It's hard to overstate how little is thought of the junior grade not just in Roscommon but the whole country, the competition needs to be revamped to have any meaning. The players that played tonight got more worth from the challenge matches than the competition itself.

macdanger2

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 02, 2018, 08:22:38 PM
Sean Boylan's son Ciaran scored a goal 5 minutes into injury time to get the win for the Mayo juniors over Roscommon! Mayo brought on Matt Flanagan and played him as a fly keeper to create the extra man leading to the move for the winning goal!!

Good win although that Boylan lad would need to do it in the last min of an AIF to make up for the sins of his father  ;)

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on May 02, 2018, 09:15:59 PM

We didn't even bother fielding a team in this competition for half a decade and when we did it was a reserve team of senior panelists.

It's hard to overstate how little is thought of the junior grade not just in Roscommon but the whole country, the competition needs to be revamped to have any meaning. The players that played tonight got more worth from the challenge matches than the competition itself.

I know that, Mayo have shown very little interest in it either. But surely Rossie senior panellists should be beating Mayo non-senior panellists?
Regardless the best thing was Matty Flanagan coming on as sub goalie, playing as sweeper and creating overlap for winning injury time goal :D
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Crete Boom

Connacht Minor Championship round 1
Full Time : Mayo 4-20 Leitrim 1-8
Enda Hession (2-5) and Fionnan Ryan (2-1) doing the damage for Mayo.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Syferus on May 02, 2018, 09:15:59 PM

Not what i recall, it was mostly U21s or former senior players that made up past Roscommon Junior teams. This current Roscommon junior team as rosfan said had 10 to 12 senior panelists and have the senior management over them and lets be honest Roscommon should be beating that Mayo junior team tonight by a bit to spare instead of losing to them.

macdanger2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 02, 2018, 01:00:53 PM

And Minor team

1. Ronan Connolly - Ardnaree Sarsfields
2. Sean Holmes - Knockmore
3. Eoghan Mchale - Castlebar Mitchels
4. Aidan Cosgrove - Kiltimagh
5. Ruairi Keane - Mayo Gaels
6. Liam Og Horkan - Garrymore
7. Conor Dunleavy - Balla
8. Jack Carney - Kilmeena
9. Harry Burke - Claremorris
10. Frank Irwin - Ballina
11. Ultan O'Reilly - Castlebar Mitchels
12. Lee Traynor - Ardagh
13. Martin Ball  - Lousiburgh
14. Fionnan Ryan - Belmullet
15. Enda Hession - Garrymore(Captain)

16. Darragh Fallon - Claremorris
17. Luke Dawson - Westport
18. Paddy Heneghan - Castlebar Mitchels
19. Liam O'Donoghue - Kiltane
20. Ethan Henry - Mayo Gaels
21. Peter Timlin - Knockmore
22. Fergal Sweeney - The Neale
23. Evan Ivers - Belmullet
24. Ciaran Mylett - Castlebar Mitchels

Good spread of clubs represented, only Mitchells and Garrymore with two each. Plenty of junior clubs also

Rossfan

Hear Ultan Harney got injured again.
Hopefully he'll be ok.
Tonight is a right fcuk up by Syfīn's hero who obviously thought the JFC was worth something.
I would have thought we'd have used it to give U20s a game seeing as there's no Hastings this year.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on May 02, 2018, 10:14:01 PM
Hopefully he'll be ok.
Tonight is a right fcuk up by Syfīn's hero who obviously thought the JFC was worth something.
I would have thought we'd have used it to give U20s a game seeing as there's no Hastings this year.

You seem much more antimated about a result in a competition we don't even usually compete in than you did about many of the wins the senior team have had in the last 12 months. McStay losing seems to bring you more joy than Roscommon winning.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Rossfan on May 02, 2018, 10:14:01 PM
Hopefully he'll be ok.

Jeez that fella has no luck!!!

Syferus

What do the Mayo lads make of this behaviour by Prenty and the Mayo minor management?

https://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/gaelic-games/311159/leitrim-manager-blasts-mayo-and-connacht-council-over-u17-game.html#.Wuo-A_06PI4.twitter

QuoteAnd the Leitrim manager was particularly annoyed with a reported remark from the Mayo management team when they were approached to see if an accommodation could be reached - "Then Mayo were approached to see if they would do us a favour and seemingly the comment that came back from the Mayo management was that they were just using it as a training session, a warm-up to the Roscommon game next week."

Jesus.