Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 16, 2008, 10:14:37 PM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on January 16, 2008, 11:45:22 AM
Quote from: Lecale2 on January 16, 2008, 11:42:47 AM
Has No Country for Old men been shown in Belfast yet?

There were previews last week end - think it opens this week end.

Yeah, starts friday.

I watched it yesterday and I was engrossed the whole way through.  Javier Bardem in it is excellent in it and plays a psychopath to a T.

There's obviously a few unexpected bits along the way which adds to the overall enjoyment.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film, but it was totally different to what i'd expected.  It's also not something that a woman would enjoy.

saffron

Throughly enjoyed it as well - not as good as Fargo but still very very enjoyable.

Took me ages to work out who the main characters wife was...

Moose

Yeah, looking forward to the "No Country for Old Men", read the book last year and its pretty dark, but the Coen brothers are brilliant filmmakers(and have a great sense of humour) so I'm expecting a lot

Tony Baloney

Looking forward to seeing Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood - it is supposed to be amazing and he's an obvious contender for an Oscar (if they're on that is!).

Mentalman

Saw "The Assasination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford" last night. Very good, great performances, very well made but...in some ways it's almost like a documentary, and the voice overs adds to that feeling a little. It's still very good, it moves at a steady pace but it definitely isn't an action movie, despite containing very realistic, non-dramatised violence. Pitt, Affleck and Rockwell are excellent, as are all the supporting cast - right from the first moment you first see Affleck as Bob Ford you just get that feeling that there is something creepy about him, and can see why every he invoked that emotion in his contemporaries. Very realistic and not at all romanticised, it focuses on the characters involved not their adventures, but in the end it's very hard to feel much empathy for the characters involved.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

take_yer_points

Quote from: oiddas on January 17, 2008, 10:11:53 AM
I am legend - should have been i am a leg end - pure shite!

Agreed! Seen it on Saturday - worst I've seen in a long time.

Square Ball

No country for Old men is on here

http://www.watch-movies.net/movies/no_country_for_old_men

click on watch full movie, only watched about 10 minutes of it, very good quality
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

buglebhoy

Charlie wilson's war imho was pure shite, boring!!

Recent films i've seen

This is england and Blood diamond- great shows!!

pintsofguinness

QuoteCharlie wilson's war imho was pure shite, boring!!
Care to elaborate?

Was it "pure shite, boring" or was it just not your type of thing?   
The only criticism I'd have of it is that it was too short but Aaron Sorkin is a genius. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Square Ball

fantastic film on tomorrow night, Remember the Titans, its on BBc1 at 11:20

ziggysego

Quote from: Square Ball on January 22, 2008, 09:03:29 PM

Seen that a few years. Outstanding film. Would have missed it tomorrow SB. Thanks for the notification.
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ziggysego on January 22, 2008, 09:05:12 PM

Seen that a few years. Outstanding film. Would have missed it tomorrow SB. Thanks for the notification.
Have it on DVD, brilliant!

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

screenexile

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 17, 2008, 07:22:35 PM
QuoteCharlie wilson's war imho was pure shite, boring!!
Care to elaborate?

Was it "pure shite, boring" or was it just not your type of thing?   
The only criticism I'd have of it is that it was too short but Aaron Sorkin is a genius. 

Totally agree pints... West Wing is probably my favourite TV show ever and I was gutted to learn that they axed Studio 60... I thought it was class. Enjoyed Charlie Wilson's War also the dialogue and the banter in Sorkin's screenplay's is pure class.

Square Ball

sheer class

heganboy

some ive seen recently are quite good, bucket list, mr brooks (v good) and run fat boy run which i really did not expect to like but ended up pissing myself at...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity