Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlenMan

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on May 17, 2019, 08:15:18 AM
Who are the minors even playing this weekend??
Didnt realise games where changed to Sunday evening because of them, bullshit to be honest!! Not the minors fault but the 100% the County boards and the County board has now convinced me not to support them now and to be honest I hope they are bate to stop this from happening again!

I doubt you ever 'supported' them. The fact you don't even know who they're playing suggests you're just a classic armchair, bandwagon jumper 'supporter'.

Also - what way is it 100% the County Boards fault? The Minor Qualifiers were always planned for Saturday until the Ulster Council moved it at the last minute to the Sunday.

Redhand Santa

It was a tricky one for the county board who were put in an awkward position. Ideally the games would have been moved to the Saturday but they didn't have enough notice. They probably should have played away but can see why it might have sent out the wrong message to the young lads and their families who are representing their county on Sunday. I assume everyone was happier with the games moved a few hours than a postponement to Sunday week which could have been an option.

The one thing I don't get from all the complaining is why more games haven't been moved? The two clubs for any match could agree to move them to a different day or time. For the all the disgust around the county many players have to look at their own clubs for not agreeing to move games.

Ty4Sam

Very interesting to see how the county board deal with the upcoming Tyrone U20 fixtures also. Tyrone U20's are due to play on Wednesday 29th May and Saturday 1st June, there is also a full set of starred fixtures set for Sunday 2nd June. Bearing in mind that U20 players are not exempt from starred fixtures will the county board ask these players to play 3 matches in 5 days? Sense to me would be to move the affected matches to the following Friday night but we'll see. Edit: Scrap that idea as U20 have another fixture on 8th June and potentially another on 15th June, the day before another set of ACL fixtures. The GAA fixtures are a complete shambles and as is becoming the norm, the clubs are getting the brunt of it!

the goal was on

the gaa are a pack of clowns. Adding a load of meaningless u20 games to the schedule at this time of the season is a disgrace and can only negatively effect clubs. u20 teams have been training for 6 months for a couple of games. Play U20's feb/mar/apr like before. typically gaa in trying to address a probelm they make it worse.

clarshack

was the minor team not beat last week. why are they playing again?

trueblue1234

Quote from: clarshack on May 17, 2019, 10:19:11 AM

Backdoor
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

shawshank

Quote from: the goal was on on May 17, 2019, 10:15:49 AM
the gaa are a pack of clowns. Adding a load of meaningless u20 games to the schedule at this time of the season is a disgrace and can only negatively effect clubs. u20 teams have been training for 6 months for a couple of games. Play U20's feb/mar/apr like before. typically gaa in trying to address a probelm they make it worse.
+1

Redhand Santa

I said from the start the decision to move the u20 championship was crazy. In trying to tackle player burnout they have caused more problems for clubs. It was bad enough it being played over the summer but now they've added a league as a warm up with games played over some weekends where there are club fixtures.

It wouldn't be so bad if there were u20 games the same weekend as Tyrone matches (as club games aren't on those weekends anyway) but that doesn't seem to be the case. Many of these players would be key players for their clubs.

clarshack

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 17, 2019, 10:33:19 AM
Quote from: clarshack on May 17, 2019, 10:19:11 AM

Backdoor

well a backdoor for the minor championship certainly doesn't help things.

Ty4Sam

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 17, 2019, 10:46:39 AM
I said from the start the decision to move the u20 championship was crazy. In trying to tackle player burnout they have caused more problems for clubs. It was bad enough it being played over the summer but now they've added a league as a warm up with games played over some weekends where there are club fixtures.

It wouldn't be so bad if there were u20 games the same weekend as Tyrone matches (as club games aren't on those weekends anyway) but that doesn't seem to be the case. Many of these players would be key players for their clubs.

Its a shambles and puts the CCC into a very difficult position. I'm not sure if the likes of Trillick/Errigal/Killyclogher have any U20's in the panel but are they expected to play next weekend without both their county players AND their U20 players? Extremely unfair!

shawshank

I'm from Derry and what has our CB done, they have played 4 league games in April. Shut the club down now until the 17th of July, where the league resumes with the remaining 7 league games. All this is done for the county senior and u20 team. As the previous poster said, the GAA is stupid. At least your leagues are continuing, be thankful for small mercies

Redhand Santa

The whole thing needs looked at from a national level but even within the current system I think a much better plan could be put in place in counties.

In Tyrone I'd split each of the divisions into 2 groups of 8. Each team plays 7 games (4/5 played during the county break in April and the other 2/3 when the county is finished up) and the county players are allowed to play in every game. Teams have 3 home and 3 away games the final game played at a neutral venue. Top 4 in each group go through to quarter finals of the championship with the bottom 2 involved in relegation play offs (except division 3) to determine their championship status.

Then a separate regional league played during the county season (county players don't have to be involved in these). You could have east Tyrone senior and intermediate leagues and same in west (12 team divisions). Games played on a Friday night/Saturday to suit club players. Would give them regular games with a bit less pressure than the championship. Could be play offs to determine the overall county league champions at the end of it.

The advantage of the above would be:

1) the county players being involved in every game that determines your championship status.
2) reduce the number of games the county players play in helping to get the season finished quicker and help with player burnout
3) currently the league gets held up for play offs as teams are still involved in the championship. This would no longer be the case with championship and relegation play offs for the championship played on same weekend as would involve different teams
4) club players no longer sitting about for 3 months waiting on the county season to be over or the county board stretching out starred games every 2/3 weeks. Instead they'd have regular Friday night/Saturday games with less travelling involved than the main leagues.
5) given the regional leagues don't effect championship status clubs would be more flexible meaning county players not getting games for the county or returning from injury could be released to play in games in agreement with county management.
6) a much clearer and fixed fixture plan could be set out for the year in advance with everyone knowing where they stand.

I see very little disadvantage of it but the clubs and players would have to respect the regional leagues as they would be a lot better than no football.

Maor Uisce

As regards to clubs not agreeing to change games. This what happens when the county board don't take charge and make poor decisions. In our case there were several variables in relation to the fixture holy communion, a wedding and relations looking to attend u17 game. Again had the county board taken a decision with club players at the heart of it and kept the games as fixed the backlash would have been minimal.

The crux is over 1000 players have their game changed due to an underage game involving max 40 people. People connected to players and back room staff would have had everyone's understanding if they missed supporting their club for one game to attend the county game I'm sure.

In hiding

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 17, 2019, 12:51:41 PM
The whole thing needs looked at from a national level but even within the current system I think a much better plan could be put in place in counties.

In Tyrone I'd split each of the divisions into 2 groups of 8. Each team plays 7 games (4/5 played during the county break in April and the other 2/3 when the county is finished up) and the county players are allowed to play in every game. Teams have 3 home and 3 away games the final game played at a neutral venue. Top 4 in each group go through to quarter finals of the championship with the bottom 2 involved in relegation play offs (except division 3) to determine their championship status.

Then a separate regional league played during the county season (county players don't have to be involved in these). You could have east Tyrone senior and intermediate leagues and same in west (12 team divisions). Games played on a Friday night/Saturday to suit club players. Would give them regular games with a bit less pressure than the championship. Could be play offs to determine the overall county league champions at the end of it.

The advantage of the above would be:

1) the county players being involved in every game that determines your championship status.
2) reduce the number of games the county players play in helping to get the season finished quicker and help with player burnout
3) currently the league gets held up for play offs as teams are still involved in the championship. This would no longer be the case with championship and relegation play offs for the championship played on same weekend as would involve different teams
4) club players no longer sitting about for 3 months waiting on the county season to be over or the county board stretching out starred games every 2/3 weeks. Instead they'd have regular Friday night/Saturday games with less travelling involved than the main leagues.
5) given the regional leagues don't effect championship status clubs would be more flexible meaning county players not getting games for the county or returning from injury could be released to play in games in agreement with county management.
6) a much clearer and fixed fixture plan could be set out for the year in advance with everyone knowing where they stand.

I see very little disadvantage of it but the clubs and players would have to respect the regional leagues as they would be a lot better than no football.

According to this system would it be fair to say that teams might only play 7 meaningful games each year.
Derry tried something similar last year and this year and it seems to be very unpopular.
It seems like you are looking after 30 County players at the expense of all the club players.
Clubs would be out of the championship in April if things didn't go well and they would only have a regional league to occupy them over the summer.

stillsenior

Lee Brennan played for Trillick this evening! Dropped out of Tyrone panel this morning!