Arlene's bigotry shines through

Started by StGallsGAA, February 14, 2018, 01:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

Quote from: haranguerer on February 21, 2018, 02:23:08 PM
Redundance of petition of concern in reformed stormont meant it was pretty much guaranteed to go through anyway, no?

POC still exists. Needs backing from more than one party. So in theory the 28 DUPers plus 2 others could raise a POC against equal marriage.

TabClear

Quote from: GJL on February 21, 2018, 02:27:49 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on February 21, 2018, 02:23:08 PM
Redundance of petition of concern in reformed stormont meant it was pretty much guaranteed to go through anyway, no?

POC still exists. Needs backing from more than one party. So in theory the 28 DUPers plus 2 others could raise a POC against equal marriage.

Jim Allister pretty much a given

ned

Quote from: johnneycool on February 21, 2018, 12:06:46 PM
Quote from: Dire Ear on February 21, 2018, 11:57:18 AM
Malachi can't help himself with the hatred of SF, even at the end of that piece.

Not much wrong with that article in fairness, but does Malachi think the LGBT community voted en mass for the Shinners on the strength of them wanting same sex marriage legalised?

I'd have thought Alliance was the LGBT communities main ally.

There's plenty wrong with that. The fact that article is in The Telegraph should lead you to be sceptical of it's content.

This paragraph;
"The only way to save the Union is to convert Catholics to it.  And that was not such a hard job until very recently.  At least a third of the Catholic, nominally nationalist, community lived content with the Union. They worked in the Civil Service and the institutions of state."

Now that is some claim. Just because you work for the institutions does not mean support for the union. That is taking a fact and stretching it far away from the reality.

AQMP

Quote from: ned on February 21, 2018, 03:46:42 PM
Malachi can't help himself with the hatred of SF, even at the end of that piece.

Not much wrong with that article in fairness, but does Malachi think the LGBT community voted en mass for the Shinners on the strength of them wanting same sex marriage legalised?

There's plenty wrong with that. The fact that article is in The Telegraph should lead you to be sceptical of it's content.

This paragraph;
"The only way to save the Union is to convert Catholics to it.  And that was not such a hard job until very recently.  At least a third of the Catholic, nominally nationalist, community lived content with the Union. They worked in the Civil Service and the institutions of state."

Now that is some claim. Just because you work for the institutions does not mean support for the union. That is taking a fact and stretching it far away from the reality.

You mightn't support the Union itself but loads of Catholics support the status quo, it's not exactly the same thing.

armaghniac

Quote from: AQMP on February 21, 2018, 03:57:13 PM
You mightn't support the Union itself but loads of Catholics support the status quo, it's not exactly the same thing.

This is the mistake they made with Brexit by making the status quo chaotic.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnneycool

This paragraph;

The "middle ground" who would be nationalist with a small n and unionist with a small w will always be driven by economic realities.
An economically well off Catholic isn't going to suddenly insist on a border poll if all's well with the world and I think that's the point Malachi is trying to make.

Unionism/loyalism in its current trajectory is driving those people into the arms of the Shinners.

ned

This paragraph;

It's still a conclusion arrived at with no clear facts. "Content with the union" and supporting the status quo are different things. Has there ever been a poll regarding this? As I said plenty wrong with that article.

armaghniac

Quote from: johnneycool on February 21, 2018, 04:14:59 PM
The "middle ground" who would be nationalist with a small n and unionist with a small w will always be driven by economic realities.
An economically well off Catholic isn't going to suddenly insist on a border poll if all's well with the world and I think that's the point Malachi is trying to make.

Unionism/loyalism in its current trajectory is driving those people into the arms of the Shinners.

Not quite the Shinners, Leo Varadkar, perhaps.

armaghniac

Arlene speaks today
We were not contemplating bringing in an Irish language act and I could not be clearer in relation to that. If you look at the so-called draft agreement that is only one of a number of documents that were circulated and put out and about, and I think the important thing is that we now reflect on where we got to in relation to all of those issues, we have a budget put in place, I think that is important for the people of Northern Ireland and that we move forward.

red hander

Was it slurred? She looks to me like someone who's been hitting the sauce of late

armaghniac

Quote from: red hander on February 21, 2018, 06:04:09 PM
Was it slurred? She looks to me like someone who's been hitting the sauce of late

I'd say Theresa May must be tempted to knock a few back at this stage.

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on February 21, 2018, 06:01:57 PM
Arlene speaks today
We were not contemplating bringing in an Irish language act and I could not be clearer in relation to that. If you look at the so-called draft agreement that is only one of a number of documents that were circulated and put out and about, and I think the important thing is that we now reflect on where we got to in relation to all of those issues, we have a budget put in place, I think that is important for the people of Northern Ireland and that we move forward.
Move forward! !!!
DUPUDA? ?
Maybe to 1697 perhaps  >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

We will move forward.*

*without anything relating to an irish identity about the place.

red hander

Quote from: Rossfan on February 21, 2018, 06:28:20 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 21, 2018, 06:01:57 PM
Arlene speaks today
Move forward! !!!
DUPUDA? ?
Maybe to 1697 perhaps  >:(

Doesn't really matter, she's an irrelevance, a mediocre solicitor from the sticks way out of her league with no discernible role now that Stormont is finito. If she doesn't throw the towel in, the findings of the RHI Inquiry will in all likelihood finish her, such was her ineptitude in the handling of that farce from the very start (not to mention the benefits accrued from it by members of her family in Fermanagh). As I said before, Brexit and demographics will sort the rest out for the Irish people of the putrid statelet ... tick tock, tick tock

armaghniac