Kerry v Tyrone

Started by Ball Hopper, July 16, 2012, 08:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: tyroneman on July 21, 2012, 08:52:06 PM
Quote.  both incidents were yellows,     

If you think smashing a forearm into a players face is a yellow card offence you really need to read the rules of the game.

What about smashing a forearm into the back of someones head which is what gormley did to gooch in the first half. He def should have had a straight red for that when instead he didnt even get a 2nd yellow.

saffron sam2

Only one point from play from the Tyrone forward line today.

Only one team interested in, or capable of, playing football there today.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Frank Casey

I don't think anyone from Kerry expected Curtin to stay on the field after a daft clothes-line of a challenge. Ref got that wrong, no argument.

On the other hand I think Gormley had a couple of opportunities for a second yellow and I still think that grabbing a fellow by the throat at least deserved a hop ball.

As for the sending off, from such an experienced player it was daft.

While the ref's performance might annoy many I think it made minimal difference. Whether this is to Kerry what Armagh meant in 2006 or Dublin in 2009, we'll see, but we'll enjoy tonight all the same.

Kudos to Mickey Harte when interviewed at the end. Considering all the turmoil in that man's life at the moment he was most dignified, as usual.
KERRY 3:7

Sportacus

Quit yappin about Curtin not getting a red - wouldn't have made a button of difference.  Mcmenamin had Gooch by the throat straight in front of the ref and Gormley deserved about 5 yellows - leaving knees and elbows in and driving the ball into O'Se's ribs - feckin embarrassed himself.

borderfox

I thought it was a dirty game, with both sides as bad as the other.  In the football stakes Kerry destroyed Tyrone, absolutely took them to the cleaners. A well deserved victory. Going forward  Donegal are the only team in Ulster who will be able to stand up to the big three (Cork Dublin Kerry) in my opinion.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

J70

Quote from: tyroneman on July 21, 2012, 07:47:53 PM
Ok...........disappointed but......

1. Beaten by better team on the day. Fair play to Kerry.
2. Not too disheartened. Cavanagh, Coney and O'Neill absent & McCurry, Clarke, Colm C, McNamee, Carlin, McCrory, Donnelly x 2 and Harte all enjoying thier first Championship start against Kerry. Will stand to them in the long run
3. This clearly meant a lot more to Kerry than to Tyrone. they celebrated like they won an AI, Galvin in tears etc.......really? for a county that has won so many AI titles, does beating Tyrone in a 3rd round Qualifier mean THAT much? Are we so far under their skin?
4. Mugsy stays on...McCurry off????? A curtain call for Mugsy I would think..no other reason for him to stay on the pitch based on todays performance..

5. As has been pointed out already...Coldrick......possibly the worst intercounty referee out there. How does McGuigan get a straight red for shoving someone in the back (oscar worthy going down TBF) while an assault by Curtin with the forearm on Colm Cavanagh results in a yellow. A scandalous set of decisions on their own merits...never mind in conext..............

Fair play to Kerry though..Tyrone needed the next score after the (lucky) goal...they conceded a green however and that was all she wrote.

Lot of shirt swapping at the end...good respect between the aul hands...end of an era for many I would say.

As my better half said to me during the game...Kerry are the dirtiest team around but get away with it through better PR....

A "shove" on the one hand and an "assault" on the other! No blinkers here! :D

And yes, Curtin should have went if McGuigan did, but the ref gets only one look at it from whatever line of sight he has, so apart from retrospective punishment or exoneration, what can you do?

squire_in_navy_slacks

Felt for Tyrone in this one, hats off to kerry thought they played some great football, however I have a feeling that was there all ireland  today, they celebrated like it was.......................galvin cooper and donaghy showing their lack of class after the game with their over the top celebrations, a pack off classless baboons

laoislad

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on July 21, 2012, 09:48:50 PM.galvin cooper and donaghy showing their lack of class after the game with their over the top celebrations, a pack off classless baboons

The Dubs would never do that of course  ::)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: J70 on July 21, 2012, 09:39:35 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on July 21, 2012, 07:47:53 PM
Ok...........disappointed but......

1. Beaten by better team on the day. Fair play to Kerry.
2. Not too disheartened. Cavanagh, Coney and O'Neill absent & McCurry, Clarke, Colm C, McNamee, Carlin, McCrory, Donnelly x 2 and Harte all enjoying thier first Championship start against Kerry. Will stand to them in the long run
3. This clearly meant a lot more to Kerry than to Tyrone. they celebrated like they won an AI, Galvin in tears etc.......really? for a county that has won so many AI titles, does beating Tyrone in a 3rd round Qualifier mean THAT much? Are we so far under their skin?
4. Mugsy stays on...McCurry off????? A curtain call for Mugsy I would think..no other reason for him to stay on the pitch based on todays performance..

5. As has been pointed out already...Coldrick......possibly the worst intercounty referee out there. How does McGuigan get a straight red for shoving someone in the back (oscar worthy going down TBF) while an assault by Curtin with the forearm on Colm Cavanagh results in a yellow. A scandalous set of decisions on their own merits...never mind in conext..............

Fair play to Kerry though..Tyrone needed the next score after the (lucky) goal...they conceded a green however and that was all she wrote.

Lot of shirt swapping at the end...good respect between the aul hands...end of an era for many I would say.

As my better half said to me during the game...Kerry are the dirtiest team around but get away with it through better PR....

A "shove" on the one hand and an "assault" on the other! No blinkers here! :D

And yes, Curtin should have went if McGuigan did, but the ref gets only one look at it from whatever line of sight he has, so apart from retrospective punishment or exoneration, what can you do?

Elbows used in both incidents, Curtin's was more dangerous but giving both the line would be defensible by the rulebook.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Farrandeelin

Quote from: thewobbler on July 21, 2012, 09:04:48 PM
I hate referees.

I'm on their backs a lot too wobbler, didn't deserve to be a sending off IMO. What to do with refs though? Pat McEnaney will only back them to the hilt and nobody can criticise any decision refs get wrong at all.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

HokeyPokey

Disappointed with today.

Don't think Kerry are as good as they looked nor Tyrone as bad. I think Tyrone thought that Kerry were feeling the pressure coming into the game and thought they could outfox Kerry. The approach and tactics from Tyrone were totally wrong. They played pretty lethargic and no-one was making any good runs forward. Tyrone didn't show the necessary intensity needed and Kerry took hold of the match.

For once unlike the teams of the past there does not seem to be a cohesive unit, it was like a jigsaw that didn't fit. Tactics haven't worked the last few years against the better teams who keep all the men back in their half. It failed in 2009 and last year I'd be reluctant to say it did in 2010 as we did everything but win. Something new needs to be tried. I think trying big Seán at 6 perhaps could be something to try. We definitely are still missing a big presence around the middle of the field as per usual and worryingly someone to pick up the scraps. We do have decent forwards in Coney, R. O'Neill and McCurry but we need a team.

Things need to shook up and perhaps new voices such as Monroe and Canavan should be brought into the backroom team, though not sure if Canavan would settle for second fiddle.

Don't think either side covered themselves in glory and more players should have seen shown the line, Coldrick seemed to respond to the crowd alot. I'm not sure how far Kerry will go, but I'm not convinced that they'll win sam, maybe a semi...

theticklemister

Was on the road today all day; of all f**king days!!! But listened to great commentry on RTE 1 of Antrim v Tip game.f**king immense!
Managed to get to bar in Donegal for last 10 mins of Kerry game. Curtin should of got red; but about a minute before that challenge Cavanagh came in and gave him a late tackle just at bottom of tv screen, so Curtain was reacting to that I beileve.still a red card though to Curtain.

ONeill

The midfield finally came back to bite us. Hub Hughes, for all his detractors, was missed out there. As was Dooher for being able to read the ball. As was Jordan for making the correct decisions.

Those players believed they were better than their opponent. We don't have the players.

Clarke looks a find. That's it. McCurry scored a nice point off his left foot off O'Se but you'd need to see more. Not convinced with the rest. Peter Harte had an average championship.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T Fearon

Gooch's celebration at the end said it all.Victory at last over Tyrone or perhaps he was just ecstatic that he got through another game against Tyrone without losing an eye!

seanog

Honestly feel Kerry are not getting near the credit they deserve for todays victory, Tyrone were not getting out of Kilarney with a win no matter what they brought with them today.

Kerry played some mighty stuff which seems to be overshadowed by shite talk on referee decisions that would of had no bearing on the game imo.

Galvin was superb, Cooper was class, Donaghy was effective, Kerry midfield was dominant, Declan played a stormer, hardly any of this gets a mention with a lot of people, o se s were class as per.