2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFC

Quote from: Don Draper on March 25, 2018, 06:13:52 PM
Quote from: SCFC on March 25, 2018, 05:43:55 PM
Carlow have never beaten us in a league game.
Next Saturday would be a bad time to lose that record.
You reckon?
Yes. Pretty sure.

Unison

Does anyone have the result of the under 15 match played before the senior match?

O moore parklife

Quote from: Unison on March 25, 2018, 08:21:19 PM
Does anyone have the result of the under 15 match played before the senior match?
They won not sure but a nice few points to spare

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Unison on March 25, 2018, 08:21:19 PM

Laois won it was 3-10 0-3 at half time. 

Don Draper

Cahillane was with the panel today for those asking.

Jellyfish

Great win today for everybody. Players, management and us supporters alike. In the end we were probably lucky to get over the line with a victory but I knew before hand any victory in Carlow would be hard earned, and hard earned it certainly was. I have included my own player ratings from the game they are opinion based, and I dont mean to offend any player with a rating, I love Laois and have nothing but praise for these guys. If anybody thinks any differently with any rating feel free to comment.

Brody- 7.5.  Thought Brody done well today. Made 1 or 2 very crucial saves, however some of his kick-outs were poor at times I felt.

Attride- 8. Had a brilliant game today. Really stood up I felt when the game was in the melting pot.

Timmons- 7.5. Very solid today. Dealt with everything that came his way comfortably.  Great to have him fit again.

Dillion- 6.5. Didn't have the greatest of game I felt today. Over carried the ball at times which at times was unnecessary I felt. However, he proved a use-full option at half back when trying to break down their blanket defence.

Collins- 7. I felt Collins was pretty anonymous today, however he was pretty comfortable with ball in hand all day. Drove forward for us in the second half.

Begley- 8.5. Personally I felt Begley was our best player today. An excellent leader for this group and worked tirelessly hard throughout. Really drove out of defence with the ball in the second half when the backs were to the walls.

Pigott- 7. This rating my divide opinion but personally I think Pigott was having a decent game. Was given the task of marking Murphy early on. Maybe the yellow card was a factor in the early substitution.

J.O'L- 8. Thought John was very impressive today, himself and Lillis really dominated midfield in the early stages today. Brilliant leader to have in the team.

Lillis- 7.5. I thought Lillis in the first half was pretty good. Very good at competing in the air, however, kicked away some sloppy ball at times and his day ended prematurely after being sent-off.

Farrell- 7. Probably wasn't his best game today. However, he made good runs right through the body of their defence and was rewarded with a score.

Benny Carroll- 6.5. Carroll again, not one of our best players today. Made some good runs at times. Unlucky to be taken off after the sending off, thought he starting getting into the game.

Glynn- 6.5. Glynn, I felt started the game well. Was a option at the kick-outs with his height. However, seem to fade a bit in the second half and subsequently was taken off.

O'Carroll- 7. Quiet enough first half for O'Carroll but grew into the game in the second half. Caught a kick-out from Brody brilliantly when we needed to relieve some pressure on our goal.

Walsh- 7.5. Started very well, hitting 1-3 in the first 15-20. Goal was taken very very well. However, felt he was anonymous in the second half.

Donie Kingston- 7. Didn't get on much ball today in scoring zones. Seemed to be double marked at times. Nearly scored an outrageous point in the second half.

Subs.
Strong- 7.5. Played well when he came on, had lots of composure on the ball which is necessary.

Lowry-6.5. Didn't really get much of a chance to impress today. Spend a lot of his game around the middle of the field.

O'Reilly- 7. Made of good runs but lost the ball aswell as result of running into contact with the ball

Ross- 6.5. Didn't really get on much ball, however kicked a wide in injury that you would put your house on ross to put over.

Roll on Croker next weekend, Laois abu.
To be tough enough to win, you must first be tough enough to lose.

on the hop

Job done, promotion achieved but we literally fell over the line. Real
Shocking stuff from both teams not helped by Carlow's system. Considering that they employ this system the whole time you would have to wonder had the management any sort of tactic to counter it because it didn't look like it today we played into their hands with our lack of movement and endless lateral passing. There seemed to space at times up the sides but for whatever reason we never seemed confident enough to run at them to at least draw frees or simply stretch them.  Considering the physical size of the three in the full forward line you would think that we would have at least put in one high ball to mix it up.

The point from the free at the end was the first score in 32 minutes and we were surviving  by the skin of our teeth at that stage. Carlow had two great goal chances, both down the right side, with a great save from brody and then a terrible pass across the square luckily for us. If either of them had gone in, we were in serious bother.

I hope next week in Croker that the faster surface and wider spaces will improve us. Certainly we need more zip in the forwards or some sort of movement. We will need Paul Kingston back certainly as it looks like Evan is gone. I would also hope that the management fix the kick outs. Their high press forced us to kick it long which suited them. Hopefully they will work on something that can be too over advantage.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Don Draper on March 25, 2018, 10:43:39 PM
Cahillane was with the panel today for those asking.
Thanks Don, that was me asking..  I was talking to someone very close to him today at the match and he said it will probably be about 3 weeks before Paul will be ok to play.
It was a very poor game today, caused mostly by Carlow's negative tactics. We grew more frustrated as the game went on and what disappointed me was the reaction of some of our lads, pulling and dragging lads and in one case kneeing a guy into the thigh which we were lucky to get away with.

We had one dismissal but could have had 3 or 4 if the ref (from Offaly) had been stricter. I don't want to see us finishing games with 14 men like last year, I had hoped we had stepped up our discipline but this was the first time we were targeted by negative play and we cracked a bit...

We had arguably the strongest ball winning full forward line we have had in a while but we never tested the Carlow full backs to and great extent. A few high balls in could have unsteadied them and made the game easier for us as this thing of playing the ball across the field and backwards all the time must be very soul destroying for anyone calling themselves footballers. We need to run at them next week, take them on and draw fouls and pick up a few points that way. I really believe we are better than we looked today and surely better than a one point victory.

Having said that well done to players and management on an unbeaten run through Div4 and gaining promotion at the first attempt. We now need to win the final to boost confidence before the championship and try to step it up for Div3 or we could find ourselves back down again pretty soon if we don't.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Unlaoised

Delighted to get over the line in what was a hard watch mainly due to Carlow's style of play.It might be different in croker tho.

Here's my ratings of the players it's only an opinion and I value every man that gives the commitment to this county and has got us back to division 3

Brody- 8  Was excellent one superb save with his left hand in the second half.Kick outs were good I thought especially in first half.

Attride- 8. Was great today cool on the ball and made two cracking hit's both times turning over the ball for Laois

Timmons- 9 Man of the match in my opinion handled everything with ease and looked like he was never away.Superb brain and a great footballer

Dillion- 7 In and out of the game fouled a few times which allowed Carlow to score but showed good support play going forward needs to back himself for  the odd shot

Collins- 6 Don't remember him doing too much he did make a good interception in the first half .Needs to look up on the ball quicker.

Begley- 8 Was very good played the position well and used his knowledge to great effect ,can't understand why he wasn't moulded into this position 6 years ago.

Pigott- 7 Thought he was okay looked rusty in the tackle but did well on Sean Murphy early doors his tackling skills need to improve big time at this level.

J.O'L- 7 Maybe deserves more but he coughed up three vital balls in the second half from running down blind alleys.Did show very well for kick outs

Lillis- 7 Decent in the first half catching a few nice kickbouts from Brody. Certainly holding his own in midfield but does lack pace to get to a pitch of a tackle.

Farrell- 7 I thought he did well kicking a great point winning a lot of breaking ball around the middle certainly deserves a place on the team not sure where yet!

Benny Carroll -6 Two clever passes early doors one for the goal another nearly created a 2nd but he was loose in possession loosing it countless times in the tackle.

Glynn- 7 Best game so far for me.Strong presence helping the midfield tackling well and hitting hard.Deserves another go on this showing.

O'Carroll- 6 Not his best game but not for the lack of effort got a lot of special treatment and reacted lucky not to see the line.Caught one majestic ball.

Walsh-7 Was unplayable early doors taking a great goal but drifted out the field and out of the game after that two very bad hand passes in the second half which he won't be pleased with.Great threat in front of goals however!

Donie Kingston- 7. Didn't get on much ball today inside but did try his best.Was shackled well by two carlow scored on great point from play and caught the vital throw in at the end.He looks to really his appetite back and look forward to seeing him in croker!

Subs.
Strong- 7 solid looked fitter than recent games and showed a real calmness on the ball i don't remember him loosing possession once.Must be close to a start.Maybe as a half forward??

Lowry-6 Was too far out from goals and was muscled off the ball a few times.Showed great hunger to get back and win a vital sideline ball for Laois late on!

O'Reilly- 6 Ran well off the ball but found it hard to get in to the game which was understandable the way it panned out.

Ross- 6 expected him to pop that late one over but did play one lovely ball and won two vital frees.

While it was a poor standard in the main Carlow do that to teams and are well drilled on this system which better teams than Laois have struggled against.

We need to work and a few things ...Our passing with the foot and the hand needs to be more accurate its small margins but a good pass can beat a player or maybe two of played in front of the player and to his chest.

Our tackling has certainly got better but that wouldn't be hard it still needs more work.

Speed we need players who will counter at pace or at least go at pace not coming back five yards to receive a ball going up the wing from the person on the ball.(move forward away from him and stretch the play)

We did show great patience yesterday on the ball and this will be rewarded in Croke Park if Carlow play the same way!

Looking forward to next weekend now seems an age since we got to Croker and a bit of silverware no matter what level is always nice and will give the players a boost going forward.

Well done to all connected with the team on promotion winning becomes a habit and it certainly is nice coming out of games with a smile no matter the opposition.

LAOIS LAOIS LAOIS
LAOIS ABÚ

High Fielder

The game became farcical when the Ref failed to send off their man. They chanced their arm after that and could have been pulled on scores of occasions for their off the ball pulling and dragging. Amazing that all officials couldn't see this. The whole incident involving Walsh and/or O'Carroll was avoidable if they had been penalised properly for their pulling. 

Not that we were completely blameless either. Our inability to tackle is a real problem and you are guaranteed frees and cards if you run at us. We got away with it again against a limited team but it won't last. Towards the end it got better, a lot better in fact, and Attriide in particular is our best exponent. The ability to create turnovers and tackle properly is too important in modern football to be ignored. It starts in the full forward line and the three boys that were there yesterday have to understand that they have to do more than kick frees and soft points. I went home and watched Paddy McBrearty hassling lads and putting in tackles against Mayo and I'm not seeing that with our forwards. It's a free pass to the half way line, so why Carlow played so defensively is a mystery.

The positives are plentiful. We are improving. You can see that. Our possession of the ball doesn't look so hurried. We were patient at times and I was delighted with it. The tackling under real pressure at the end was excellent and we hunted in packs well; which you have to do. I think we grew as the game wore on yesterday and we learnt more in the second half than we did all year. You learn nothing kicking the crap out of poor teams so Division 3 will be a boost too. Our forward unit need to work so much harder though.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Time for Laois footballers trip to Croke Park confirmed

Division Four Final between Laois and Carlow confirmed for 3pm at Croke Park on Saturday
https://www.laoistoday.ie/2018/03/26/laois-footballers-trip-to-croke-park-confirmed/

Unlaoised

Strange time but I think they are always on at those times ....

Not sure be many staying for the second game as both teams play like Carlow! :-\
LAOIS ABÚ

Tony

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Unlaoised on March 26, 2018, 03:44:14 PM
Strange time but I think they are always on at those times ....

Not sure be many staying for the second game as both teams play like Carlow! :-\

Is it even worth going to at all, don't think I could stick another 70 mins of what I witnessed last Sunday.
Parking in Dublin at that time on a Saturday will be crazy...

redsetanta

Junior, parking around Croke PArk won't be much different to what it would be on a Sunday around there. Traffic would be a worse problem. They're obviously not expecting a big crowd as tickets available are for the Hogan stand and it's unreserved seating. 
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi