Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Will you get there before throw in?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Ed Ricketts

Well done Dublin. 5 in a row. Best volunteers in the history of the GAA.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

mup

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 14, 2019, 05:26:23 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 14, 2019, 04:20:01 PM
Quote from: mup on September 14, 2019, 04:12:16 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on September 14, 2019, 12:20:36 PM
Quote from: mup on September 14, 2019, 08:18:20 AM
Quote from: Hound on September 13, 2019, 03:01:32 PM
Quote from: mup on September 13, 2019, 10:45:59 AM
Quote from: highorlow on September 13, 2019, 10:10:38 AM
QuoteSupposed to be great work going on in Wicklow

Heard that myself, particularly in Greystones. Wicklow minors beat Dublin last year. Hopefully the likes of Meath, Kildare and Wicklow bring on these young teams and the Leinster Senior Championship will be more competitive in 3 to 5 years time.

Kildare won leinster minor titles in 13, 15, 16. They are not near competitive. Why will 3 - 5 years time be any different?

The Leinster Championship is a dead duck. No amount of faffing about or hoping for minor teams to step up is going to change that. The Dubs won't admit that money has been a big factor in this. Certainly not the only one but it's no coincidence.

In the 40 years from 1957 to 1997, Kildare didn't win a single Leinster senior football title. 0.
I don't know why that was, but could some of the reasons why they didn't win one in those 40 years not be similar to reasons why they haven't won one in the last 19 years?

Good minor teams will give Kildare are a good baseline, but they could do with a player of two who are the best in their position in the country to lift them to be genuine challengers.

And how come no other county has won any  of the last 9? I suppose thats downs to every other county not having the volunteers that Dublin have. Mothing to do with finances. God no.

Usual head in the sand stuff from you Dubs

Nothing to do with good players either I take it

Of course it does. I've no problem admitting Dublin are a fantastic team. Pity ye can't admit that finances are part of the reason for the success.

This is a one in a generation group that have been brought through by excellent volunteers!

There are some sad saps on this forum. Forty minutes away from a mouth watering All Ireland Final replay and this is what we get from self proclaimed Gaelic football enthusiasts. So sad.

Even sadder saps posting 40 mins before an AI final when your county are playing. 🤭🤭

IolarCoisCuain

I'm a little puzzled at some very strange remarks from Declan Darcy about Diarmuid Connolly's return to the squad: https://www.the42.ie/dublin-diarmuid-connolly-declan-darcy-4812056-Sep2019/

Connolly's private life is his own concern. I don't want to know anything about it, it's his own business. What's bothering me is - are Dublin so far ahead of the pack that they could afford to carry a passenger in the All-Ireland series?

I know Connolly in his prime was a superstar, but he was eighteen months out of inter-county football and looked it. Are Dublin that far ahead that they could carry him? I know he's not a passenger in the sense they couldn't carry Joe Duffy or Christy Dignam or some other hero of the city, but dammit, those comments from Darcy are just plain odd.

Hound

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 17, 2019, 09:04:05 PM
I'm a little puzzled at some very strange remarks from Declan Darcy about Diarmuid Connolly's return to the squad: https://www.the42.ie/dublin-diarmuid-connolly-declan-darcy-4812056-Sep2019/

Connolly's private life is his own concern. I don't want to know anything about it, it's his own business. What's bothering me is - are Dublin so far ahead of the pack that they could afford to carry a passenger in the All-Ireland series?

I know Connolly in his prime was a superstar, but he was eighteen months out of inter-county football and looked it. Are Dublin that far ahead that they could carry him? I know he's not a passenger in the sense they couldn't carry Joe Duffy or Christy Dignam or some other hero of the city, but dammit, those comments from Darcy are just plain odd.

In 35 minutes he set up 2 points, and while he missed a goal opportunity, it eventually went for a 45 which Rock pointed. So direct involvement in 3 points for Dublin, and cost a few turnovers too. But overall, there was at least half a dozen players on the pitch who contributed less than he did. So a passenger? I don't think so.

And while there may have been some sympathy shown to get on the panel of 35 or whatever it is. To get in the 26, he had to be showing more in training that his competitors for half forward cover. To suggest he was in the 26 as some sort of compassionate play is clearly way off the mark. 

TheGreatest

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on September 14, 2019, 08:19:12 PM
Well done Dublin. 5 in a row. Best volunteers in the history of the GAA.

Thanks , i feel i have contributed to the success.

tyroneman

Colm o'Rourke in the Indo today saying the Dubs aren't given ENOUGH funding..... ::)

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Hound on September 18, 2019, 10:55:50 AM

In 35 minutes he set up 2 points, and while he missed a goal opportunity, it eventually went for a 45 which Rock pointed. So direct involvement in 3 points for Dublin, and cost a few turnovers too. But overall, there was at least half a dozen players on the pitch who contributed less than he did. So a passenger? I don't think so.

And while there may have been some sympathy shown to get on the panel of 35 or whatever it is. To get in the 26, he had to be showing more in training that his competitors for half forward cover. To suggest he was in the 26 as some sort of compassionate play is clearly way off the mark.

I dunno Hound. I'm only going on how Darcy is quoted in the interview.
I think first and foremost it was really important for us, the care of Diarmuid. To bring him back into the group was the right thing to do Things weren't going really well for him probably outside of football and I think he needed football, he needed structure and whatever about whether he was to function within our group or not.

He had soldiered long and hard for us and he deserved that right to come back in and I think it was a really good thing for him to do. No matter whether we won an All-Ireland, I still think it would have been the right thing to do because we were looking after one of our own and he needs to be in our family.

Because the lads are brilliant to look after him, and reach out to him, which is really, really important. It was very impressive to see it, when it operated, and how Diarmuid flourished in that environment, and that friendship being shared to him.

We'll have to agree to disagree about how good or bad he was. Nobody ever agrees 100% on these things, not even the players themselves. I find the whole thing very puzzling. But then, really, maybe it's none of my business either. Dublin won, and won well. That's the bottom line.

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 18, 2019, 09:14:16 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 18, 2019, 10:55:50 AM

I dunno Hound. I'm only going on how Darcy is quoted in the interview.
I think first and foremost it was really important for us, the care of Diarmuid. To bring him back into the group was the right thing to do Things weren't going really well for him probably outside of football and I think he needed football, he needed structure and whatever about whether he was to function within our group or not.

He had soldiered long and hard for us and he deserved that right to come back in and I think it was a really good thing for him to do. No matter whether we won an All-Ireland, I still think it would have been the right thing to do because we were looking after one of our own and he needs to be in our family.

Because the lads are brilliant to look after him, and reach out to him, which is really, really important. It was very impressive to see it, when it operated, and how Diarmuid flourished in that environment, and that friendship being shared to him.

We'll have to agree to disagree about how good or bad he was. Nobody ever agrees 100% on these things, not even the players themselves. I find the whole thing very puzzling. But then, really, maybe it's none of my business either. Dublin won, and won well. That's the bottom line.

Agree Iolar. Very strange stuff. 'the care of Diarmuid'
Wtf!

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on September 11, 2018, 11:25:53 AM
What Reg No do Ballagh people get if they buy a new car ;)

Meanwhile in another sign of Eastern wealth  Louth Co Board buying a site round Dundalk for a new County Ground.
Sally there will be no more Green grassy slopes....
Dundalk FC chairman offering to go halvers...

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Baile Brigín 2

Demographics globally are a move from rural to urban. So what?

Rossfan

I see the Leinster Council have decided not to adopt a proposal to give Dublin a bye to the Semi Final in 2020.
However they won't do the Semi Final draw till after the Quarter Finals are played.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM