2019 Allianz National Hurling League

Started by Mossy Bruce, December 19, 2018, 10:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

les Antiques

2015 there Mossy ....the auld 43 year old wait and all !!! One of the great days in under Cheddar .

Mossy Bruce

Wow! TG4 had about five minutes of "highlights" from the Laois v. Waterford match. Being way out west in the States, it was, by far, the most video coverage I have ever seen from a Laois match. It was a thrilling and (being the Waterford match) painful experience at the same time. :) :'(

TG4 also had some highlights from the Limerick v Tipp match. I was freezing my arse off just watching.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on February 05, 2019, 10:02:11 PM
I was curious about Laois' record against Offaly over the last five years, so I did a little research and found the following:

All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship
No matches against Offaly as Laois were now in the new Joe McDonagh Cup

Allianz National Hurling League
Offaly 1-21 v 1-16 Laois

No matches against Offaly

Laois 1-26 v 1-20 Offaly

Offaly 1-17 v 0-15 Laois

Leinster Senior Hurling Championship[?]
Laois 0-29 v 0-21 Offaly (Quarter-Final)[?]

Offaly 1-24 v 0-23 Laois

Offaly 2–14 v 1–19 Laois

I have a feeling there are some (maybe a lot of) mistakes on this--a work in progress. :-[
Please let me know of any errors or omissions. Thanks!

Walsh Cup 2019 - Laois 2-16, Offaly 1-16. Amazing how the results are alternating. If the pattern is a predictor, it is Offaly's turn....

redsetanta

We've done well in Tullamore in the league and Offaly have been getting the better of us in O'Moore park. All previous form won't matter a whole pile when they start getting stuck into each other.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: redsetanta on February 06, 2019, 06:39:22 PM
... All previous form won't matter a whole pile when they start getting stuck into each other.
Yeah, as I was finishing typing up my post I realized that teams, circumstances, and conditions are ever changing and that past results will mean little on Saturday week.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

burdizzo

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on February 06, 2019, 05:17:18 PM
Walsh Cup 2019 - Laois 2-16, Offaly 1-16. Amazing how the results are alternating. If the pattern is a predictor, it is Offaly's turn....

So long as we win the relegation play-off, then! In fact, we'll be playing them four times this year altogether - if the relegation play-off does transpire (and I think it will) - so a clean-sweep would be a juicy prospect!
Anyone know how bad Cha's injury is?

Keyser Söze

I wouldn't be at all shocked if Carlow end up v Laois/Offaly in the relegation play off.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on February 08, 2019, 10:39:11 AM
I wouldn't be at all shocked if Carlow end up v Laois/Offaly in the relegation play off.
Carlow have a lovely habit of imploding, its a great enjoyment of mine to watch on as it happens.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Don Draper on February 08, 2019, 10:41:40 AM
Carlow have a lovely habit of imploding, its a great enjoyment of mine to watch on as it happens.

This is not like any Carlow team I have ever seen. Div 2 champions last year, McDonagh champions 2018 including giving us a good hiding. Showed well against Dublin and drew with a better Galway than played us (and we were happy enough to lose by 9 points). The quality of their hurling and hurlers is currently a good level above ours. We would underestimate them at their peril. They would be deserved and clear favourites against us or Offaly in a relegation final.

Don Draper

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on February 08, 2019, 12:55:57 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on February 08, 2019, 10:41:40 AM

This is not like any Carlow team I have ever seen. Div 2 champions last year, McDonagh champions 2018 including giving us a good hiding. Showed well against Dublin and drew with a better Galway than played us (and we were happy enough to lose by 9 points). The quality of their hurling and hurlers is currently a good level above ours. We would underestimate them at their peril. They would be deserved and clear favourites against us or Offaly in a relegation final.
I dont underestimate them, especially given the problems within our own set up. They're simply better than us.

Mossy Bruce

Looking ahead at the changes for Division 1, next year, my understanding is that there will be two groups of roughly equal standing. Does anyone know how the relegation will be handled at the end of the season? I am guessing the bottom team of each group will face off against each other, with the losing team playing the winner of Division 2. Does anyone know much about these upcoming changes? Thanks.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

redsetanta

It will mean more beatings by big scores.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: redsetanta on February 09, 2019, 06:05:54 PM
It will mean more beatings by big scores.
That is for sure! From what I've been able to find written about these changes I can only conclude it will be brutal for the likes of Laois and Offaly (and possibly West Meath).
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Keyser Söze

The Club Colours thing is a novel idea- bit random from a visuals point of view. Hopefully attracts a crowd though!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

redsetanta

Any word on a likely team for Saturday? How are we injury wise?