What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olly

Quote from: muppet on March 09, 2012, 08:33:15 PM
Question for the tech heads here:

I am thinking of getting an iMac to double as a second TV/DVD player for junior. AFAIK the 27" is the biggest going. The question is can the iMac successfully double as a TV/DVD player and what issues should I be considering? Cheers.

Ethical issues mostly esp the dependance on technology over simple interaction as God made us. Also, the Americanisation of the world through Apple products. There's a boy in Finaghy, Belfast and he makes TVs but no, nobody wants to buy from him because he's not Steve Jobs or Bill Hicks.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

J OGorman

Quote from: andoireabu on May 24, 2012, 02:14:17 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on May 24, 2012, 02:11:12 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on May 24, 2012, 02:04:23 PM
Need some help.  Recently got a new tv with freeview channels built in but the aeriel won't pick them up.  So went to look about a digital aeriel and got quoted £150.  At uni we had a wee crappy portable thing that was £10 and did the trick as long as you got the position but was looking something better than that.  Anybody know what I should be looking for?  Currys have a few between £30 and £60 but I wouldn't know enough to know which is best.

Cheers

Im assuming its an outdoor aerial DA? I know a good aerial man in the city (not sure if your handy). I can send you the details. Not sure the price now, but he supplied me with a good outdoor digital aerial, supplied and fitted for 90 sterlings
The one in the house at the minute is in the attic so i was hoping to just replace that in the same way.  The brother would be able to fit it and all so I was just looking a model or something like that.  Is the man you know private or has he a shop?

private.. he's a civil enough hooer. I'll wing you his number and Im sure he'll tell you what to buy

armaghniac

QuoteRecently got a new tv with freeview channels built in but the aeriel won't pick them up.  So went to look about a digital aeriel and got quoted £150.

Freeview in NI is not on full power, except for occasional tests, at present. You won't know until October what you signal will be, except for these midnight tests.

I wouldn't rush off and buy an new aerial unless you are factoring this in, generally the existing aerial is fine.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jonah

Ok this is probably a silly question but....

If I have a HD Ready Saorview approved TV is this good enough to get the RTE HD picture in all it's HD glory?
Or do I need a Full HD TV for it?
My basic understanding of this is that with an HD Ready TV you need a HD source like a digibox connected via a HDMI to get HD on a HD Ready TV whereas a Full HD TV can receive HD pictures without the need of a source like a digibox.

So as my TV is Saorview approved I have no need for a digibox but is the signal for the Saorview an actual HD signal so my HD Ready Tv will be able display it in HD or does it only become a HD signal when it passes through the digibox or connected straight to a Full HD TV.

I'm confusing myself now but I hope someone can understand what I mean.

Don Johnson

Right. I don't have RTE now since this switch over. Have been thinking about getting a new TV anyway so this could push me over the edge.

Was having a browse there and realised I didn't have a clue. I was looking at 3-D then realised how often would I ever use it plus I despise films in 3-D in the cinema so think I can rule it out?

So what would be the best about then? Would be willing to spend up to about £600-£700. Take it a full HD smart TV is the best now?

Talk to me like I am a child or an idiot. I am kinda both. Thanks.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Don Johnson on October 24, 2012, 10:57:32 PM
Right. I don't have RTE now since this switch over. Have been thinking about getting a new TV anyway so this could push me over the edge.

Was having a browse there and realised I didn't have a clue. I was looking at 3-D then realised how often would I ever use it plus I despise films in 3-D in the cinema so think I can rule it out?

So what would be the best about then? Would be willing to spend up to about £600-£700. Take it a full HD smart TV is the best now?

Talk to me like I am a child or an idiot. I am kinda both. Thanks.
Looking at new TVs also. Mostly acouting out 42" Sony or Panasonic.

All the hype in the shops tells me I must have a Smart tv and it must be LED.  3D seems to have been last uears feature with Smart being the hot one this year.

Don Johnson

Yeah I am worried it could be a fad too?

At the minute I can get BBC iPlayer, Lovefilm etc on my tv by connecting my laptop to it. Albeit a amsrt tv makes it easier but I don't know if I even use those things.

I can never see myself using Facebook / Twitter on it when I have it far handier on my phone. Or laptop.

Also if I need to browse the internet I will never think hold on I will do this on my tv!

armaghniac

I'm not sure I rate smart TV. Now that this changeover thing is over a TV could last years, the "smart" part would be very outdated in a few years. LED backlighting can use less power, it might pay for itself (check). Otherwise I reckon buy a £400 TV and a £300 laptop instead of a £700 smart TV.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Square Ball

going to buy a new tv, mentions frequency 50 htz and on another one motion 50 hz, what does mean?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: Square Ball on November 28, 2012, 05:24:55 PM
going to buy a new tv, mentions frequency 50 htz and on another one motion 50 hz, what does mean?

Screen refresh rate, it is something to do with shadowing, like when you watch sports the screen will refresh quicker making it a clearer picture.

johnneycool

Quote from: armaghniac on October 24, 2012, 11:23:34 PM
I'm not sure I rate smart TV. Now that this changeover thing is over a TV could last years, the "smart" part would be very outdated in a few years. LED backlighting can use less power, it might pay for itself (check). Otherwise I reckon buy a £400 TV and a £300 laptop instead of a £700 smart TV.

A friend of a friend bought a smart TV the other day and asked me to help him set it up and TBH the internet aspect of it was fairly underwhelming with only a selection of sites available such as You tube and BBCi player. I didn't like to say but he'd have been better off buying a decent laptop with a good graphics card and save a few quid on the TV.

Puckoon

What way are the smart TVs set up? We have a regular 1080pHD tv, and last year bought an internet enabled blu ray player. Through which we can access netflix, hulu, amazon, youtube as well as playing the discs and playing shows through a USB or hard drive? The thing cost about 60$ if I recall correctly and is a great piece of gear. Its just hooked up through the WiFi.

johnneycool

Quote from: Puckoon on November 29, 2012, 05:10:14 PM
What way are the smart TVs set up? We have a regular 1080pHD tv, and last year bought an internet enabled blu ray player. Through which we can access netflix, hulu, amazon, youtube as well as playing the discs and playing shows through a USB or hard drive? The thing cost about 60$ if I recall correctly and is a great piece of gear. Its just hooked up through the WiFi.

The smart TV I saw was a Panasonic Viera 3D version and it was using WiFi as well. As the lads broadband is pretty shíte like my own he couldn't even stream anything from the BBC iplayer without it buffering like hell.

seafoid

The whole concept of "smart TV" or "smart phone" is going to look hilarious in 15 years' time

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Main Street

Quote from: Puckoon on November 29, 2012, 05:10:14 PM
The Smart TV is a TV with WiFi built in, the level of smartness depends upon the browser/ basic operating system and quality of hardware (processor etc) to help make the TV functions work better.
These days, pretty much any TV >42"  has WiFi built in and by the accepted definition, TV's are now Smart Tv's. WiFi is a standard  in TV's.
Probably most of us with WiFiless TV's don't need it as we use the TV ports to connect our external devices to and the TV just does the end job of being the screen.