Michaela McAreavy Murder Trial-Will Justice be Done?

Started by Applesisapples, May 25, 2012, 09:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keepthefaith93

Quote from: Leo on May 27, 2012, 10:28:19 PM
Look this is fairly sensitive and potentilly destructive stuff as a result of defence lawyers' dirty tricks. But this is foreign territory where maybe the rules are different, and, if so,  and I do want to be understaning, but I cannot understand why Mickey Harte and the bishop uncle are not out there with a robust legal &  team? Surely they could have forseen the trap that is being laid for the poor lad?

+1

Nally Stand

Quote from: Keepthefaith93 on May 28, 2012, 08:37:29 AM
Look this is fairly sensitive and potentilly destructive stuff as a result of defence lawyers' dirty tricks. But this is foreign territory where maybe the rules are different, and, if so,  and I do want to be understaning, but I cannot understand why Mickey Harte and the bishop uncle are not out there with a robust legal &  team? Surely they could have forseen the trap that is being laid for the poor lad?

+1

I'm sure that's all the families need now.... anonymous internet forum posters telling everybody how they are wrong in the way they are dealing with the trial and implying that they are letting John down. For all you lads know, they could completely trust their current legal team and family members who are at the trial. More time praying for the families like they have asked for, and less time sitting at a keyboard judging them for how they are handling a situation you have zero knowledge of would be better suited to you.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Applesisapples

Quote from: dillinger on May 25, 2012, 06:15:47 PM
The defence are claiming this book, or whatever, is the crux of the defence case. Hard for any Judge to refuse i think. If that's all the defence they have they don't have much hope. Of course the prosecution have to prove their case.
Turns out it was a supplement from Cosmopolitan Magazine purchased at the airport. Defence lawyers are besmirching the memory of the deceased and trampling over the feelings of the Harte and McAreavy families, absolutely disgusting.

Keepthefaith93

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 28, 2012, 09:05:52 AM
[/b][/b]

+1

I'm sure that's all the families need now.... anonymous internet forum posters telling everybody how they are wrong in the way they are dealing with the trial and implying that they are letting John down. For all you lads know, they could completely trust their current legal team and family members who are at the trial. More time praying for the families like they have asked for, and less time sitting at a keyboard judging them for how they are handling a situation you have zero knowledge of would be better suited to you.

I am definitely not judging the way that the Harte and McAreevy families are dealing with this and have nothing but  respect and admiration for them in how they have handled themselves since this terrible tragedy happened, its just i feel that they are trying to set the lad up and it makes me sick to the stomach to think what he must be going through and they are in my prayers.

Applesisapples

I have been following this story on the BBC radio and Natasha Sayee has been central to this, I wouldn't say she has been sensationalist. In fact she has come across in her reports as sympathetic to the families. I started this thread because of the concerns I had, listening to her reports that justice is not being done and the totally disrespectful conduct of the jury, public and defence who thought the whole thing was a source of fun. And the Judge didn't call them to book.

rrhf

Your last few words are key here.  I dont think a judge in Ireland would have let this caper develop.  He would have called the defence team out received their angle and let it go or not. 

Could I put this in a very simplistic alternative way, you go to Mauritius and you get murdered. And they try to blame you and your partner because they found a Hitchcock murder mystery  book in the room.  Sounds ridiculous dosent it?  This is even less far fetched than the defence's connection here, and the sex angle is nothing more than an attempt at discrediting the innocent victims, sensationalising the trial,  and subsequently increasing the ordeal of their family and friends.   They are throwing muck...       

haranguerer

What would the legal team be for? What role could it play?

Agent Orange

No DNA found on the accused.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18231863

The trial of two men charged with the murder of Michaela McAreavey has heard that no DNA from either of the accused was found in her hotel room in Mauritius or on her body.

Mrs McAreavey, a 27-year-old teacher, was found dead during her honeymoon at the Legends Hotel in January 2011.

Hotel workers Avinash Treebhoowoon, 30, and Sandip Moneea, 42, deny murder.

On Monday, the court heard evidence from an Oxfordshire-based forensic scientist.

Susan Woodroffe examined samples from Mrs McAreavey's body, as well as swabs taken from the hotel room.

The scientist, who is a prosecution witness, said that the results of her tests revealed "no specific indication" of DNA from either of the accused.

An additional key card for the couple's room was also examined and was found to contain the DNA of Dassen Naraynen, a security guard at the Legend's Hotel who was charged with conspiracy to murder in the days after the killing.

Naraynen is facing a larceny charge in connection with the case in separate court proceedings on Tuesday.

Earlier, a police officer who arrested Avinash Treebhoowoon was reprimanded by the Supreme Court judge.

Under cross-examination, the officer said he "didn't know" why it took nearly three hours to take the accused to a police station.

A defence barrister said the journey from the Legends Hotel should only have taken half an hour.

The officer was questioned for about one and a half hours by a defence barrister.

Asked what police were doing for two and a half hours, between leaving the hotel and arriving at the police station, the officer folded his arms, said he could not remember, adding: "I had no notes."

He was fiercely reprimanded by the judge but folded his arms again, and looked down at his notes.

Defence counsel Ravi Rutnah and Sanjeev Teeluckdharry
The judge said: "Let the records show that this witness remains silent."

Mrs McAreavey's widower, John, was due to give evidence at the Supreme Court on Monday but that has now been delayed due to a backlog of witnesses.

Meanwhile, it has emerged that a booklet relating to sexual matters found in Mrs McAreavey's hotel room was an insert from a women's magazine, according to her family.

Michaela, who was the daughter of Tyrone Gaelic football manager Mickey Harte, had bought the Cosmopolitan magazine at the airport.

The court in Mauritius was adjourned for a short time on Friday after heated exchanges between lawyers when the defence team robustly questioned a police officer about the material.

A spokesperson for the McAreavey and Harte families said on Sunday: "Obviously both families are very distressed and dismayed at any attempt to denigrate the memory of Michaela."

They added: "However, they would like to thank the many family, friends and the wider public for their continued support and prayers as they endure this ordeal."

The statement continued to ask for prayers so that John "may be granted the necessary strength" to get through the "difficult and painful days ahead".

armaghniac

While I was as appalled as everyone else here at events, having read a few articles I don't think the line of questioning is particularly designed to discredit the McAreaveys, they are merely caught in the crossfire. The line of questioning is designed to show the police in a bad light, as bumblers who could not conduct a proper investigation. So questioning about what was in the book or how many condoms there were or whatever is designed to illustrate that the police don't know, rather than get at the victims (although of course this is heedless of the victims). The defence is that the police were not thorough.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ziggysego

THE HARTE AND McAreavey families have issued a statement asking people to pray for John McAreavey as the trial of two men accused of murdering his wife in Mauritius continues.

The trial of 30-year-old Avinash Treebhoowoon and 42-year-old Sandip Moneea is entering its fifth day, after heated exhanges in the courtroom on Friday.

Lawyers for the defence questioned police about the discovery of a sex guide in the couple's room and asked if it contained violent material. Counsel for the prosecution objected strongly to the line of questioning.

In a joint statement the families said that they were "very distressed and dismayed at any attempt to denigrate the memory of Michaela".

John McAreavey was not present in the courtroom for last week's hearings as he has been included in a list of witnesses for the prosecution. Members of both families have been present though.

They have thanked "the many family, friends and the wider public" for their support and have asked that "people continue to pray so that John may be granted the necessary strength to get through the very difficult and painful days ahead".

Michaela McAreavey was killed in her Mauritian hotel room in January 2011 while on her honeymoon with her new husband.

Testing Accessibility

Capt Pat

There is another young Irish woman after being murdered overseas in a hotel in similar circumstances. Nichola Furlong from Wexford. The Herald have implicated the wrong man in the murder on the front of the paper today.

Leo

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 28, 2012, 09:05:52 AM

+1

Nally I am sure you are a loyal Tyrone Gael and fair play to you, but you do not go swimming in unknown waters without every life-saving accessory available, and of course you pray that it will never be needed. But this was forseeable and it has developed badly. It shouldn't have.
Fierce tame altogether

armaghniac

Quotebut you do not go swimming in unknown waters without every life-saving accessory available, and of course you pray that it will never be needed. But this was forseeable and it has developed badly. It shouldn't have.

It shouldn't have. But neither Mickey Harte, the Bishop of Dromore or any legal person would have had any effect whatsoever on anything that has happened so far.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Leo

Quote from: armaghniac on May 28, 2012, 09:12:18 PM
Quotebut you do not go swimming in unknown waters without every life-saving accessory available, and of course you pray that it will never be needed. But this was forseeable and it has developed badly. It shouldn't have.

It shouldn't have. But neither Mickey Harte, the Bishop of Dromore or any legal person would have had any effect whatsoever on anything that has happened so far.

My aramgh firend you might be right.
And you might not be right.
All I am saying is - why leave that to chance?
I do think a properly composed team of advisers would have been of assistance to these families in this awful situation in a foreign jurisdiction and I canot understand why it is not in place, given the great societal influence weilded by these two families.
It is also a puzzle as to why they are not out there lending support, whatever about having proper professional help.
Naiive!!!
Fierce tame altogether

dillinger

Would the families legal team have been allowed any input into the trail? Can't really see it my-self.