RTE on Freeview

Started by Lazer, December 13, 2010, 11:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteI have a panasonic and when I do an automatic scan it does not pick up or it removes RTÉ

Panasonic seem to be big into having different settings for different places and give more problems than some other models. LG, Samsung etc seem to just have European models that are less tuned to each country.

QuoteIs there any way of picking up RTE in England?

Moving to the Scilly Isles seems a definite solution for Saorsat, but Plymouth might do.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

Quote from: Goldengreen on February 08, 2012, 10:26:44 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on February 08, 2012, 09:23:44 AM
Just a point on tuning for Saorview on an Mpeg4 TV. I have a panasonic and when I do an automatic scan it does not pick up or it removes RTE. However when I go into settings and make it region specific it then picks up all the saorview channels. I don't know if this applies to other makes.

I assume that you make it region specific to Ireland, and when you do that can you still pick up the freeview stations.
No strangely region specific to the North.

NAG1

Not strictly part of this discussion guys but I know most of you are well up on your tech. I am installing Sky multi room in an older house. There is not a phone point beside where either of the tvs are going, does any one know if those power line adaptors would do the same job, with one plugged into the main phone socket in the house?

Applesisapples

Best solution is to get a cable that connects to the box so that you can set it up then stow it away. They only check that your phone is connected every couple of months. Alternatively you can by a wireless phone connection, but I've had trouble with mine.

loughshore lad

Any of you well informed poster able to help here?

I Have a freeview HD TV with DVB-T2 tuner that is MPEG4 compatible.  It is not picking up any RTE TV or radio stations on the digital platform but I think it should in theory do so.  I am getting the RTE, TG4, TV3 etc on analogue but the reception is not what it previously was.

I also have an older freeview TV, previously I have been able to receive the RTE radio stations on the digital platform but they seem to have disappeared off it also.

Am I right in thinking something has happened my signal, perhaps due to the aerial moving in the wind or something or some type of interference?

I live in Ardboe.

ziggysego

@barrabest: Confirmed that RTÉ One and Two, as well as TG4 will be available for NI Freeview viewers following the digital switch over in October.

- @BarraBest
Testing Accessibility

johnneycool

Quote from: ziggysego on May 29, 2012, 12:03:13 PM
@barrabest: Confirmed that RTÉ One and Two, as well as TG4 will be available for NI Freeview viewers following the digital switch over in October.

- @BarraBest

Ask BarraBest if it will be possible to pick up using existing freeview TV's and set-top boxes or do we need new MPEG4 ones?

ziggysego

Quote from: johnneycool on May 29, 2012, 12:43:33 PM

- @BarraBest

Ask BarraBest if it will be possible to pick up using existing freeview TV's and set-top boxes or do we need new MPEG4 ones?

I'll let you know, when he gets back to me.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Quote from: johnneycool on May 29, 2012, 12:43:33 PM

- @BarraBest

I think it's for Freeview in general.  Here's more detail: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18246907

- @BarraBest
Testing Accessibility

armaghniac

Receiving TG4 and RTÉ channels in Northern Ireland

The UK and the Republic of Ireland Governments have confirmed their intention to make TG4 available on Freeview to much of Northern Ireland, and to facilitate the provision of RTÉ One and RTÉ Two. See here for more information.

Following the final stage of switchover on 24 October, most people in Northern Ireland will be able to get these channels via an aerial through either Freeview or Saorview - the Republic of Ireland digital TV service. Viewers can check the Freeview channels predicted to be available at their address by typing their postcode into our coverage checker (coverage of TG4, RTÉ One and RTÉ Two will be shown from Thursday, 31 May).

Freeview HD equipment will be required to watch these channels on Freeview. Digital UK recommends seeking advice from a good local retailer about the channels you want and the different equipment options.

The Republic of Ireland is also switching
The Republic of Ireland Freeview service, Saorview, will be extended to people who cannot currently receive it. The Republic will switch to digital in a single stage on 24 October 2012. Visit www.goingdigital.ie for more information.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i...n_ireland_info

Rossfan

Any word on us getting BBC1,2,3,4 on Saorview to reciprocate?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

QuoteAny word on us getting BBC1,2,3,4 on Saorview to reciprocate?

Why would the BBC want to do that?

AQMP

Quote from: armaghniac on May 29, 2012, 07:50:18 PM

Parity of esteem??

johnneycool

Do they not sell programs to RTE already? Eastenders and the likes?

That would be messy and counterproductive for the BBC.

Rossfan

To continue the service that we can get  now on Analogue in many parts of the 26.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM