Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on July 09, 2020, 09:24:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 09, 2020, 08:56:39 PM
Quote from: Angelo on July 09, 2020, 08:36:59 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 09, 2020, 07:46:19 PM
Foreign countries like England you mean?

Anything outside this island needs to be shut off or heavily restricted.

That horse unfortunately has bolted! When they continued to allow flights within the uk and Ireland during lockdown

Maybe so but that's on the government's hands.

The airports are now opening up big time again at a stage when we were beginning to get on top of things. The governments are doing at it which leaves it in the hands of the people and unfortunately there is quite a significant proportion of selfish individuals who thinks their leisure time comes ahead of public safety.

Unfortunately unless a company is going to give you full Refund payment back, as quick as they took it then people will go. This six months wait or voucher or paying over £400 quid to change flights next year (WTF) people will go.

It's all in the governments hands not the punters who have paid up front. Either close flights down or let people go and act responsibly, have a test when you're back a few days. Move on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 09, 2020, 09:32:13 PM

That horse unfortunately has bolted! When they continued to allow flights within the uk and Ireland during lockdown

The airports are now opening up big time again at a stage when we were beginning to get on top of things. The governments are doing at it which leaves it in the hands of the people and unfortunately there is quite a significant proportion of selfish individuals who thinks their leisure time comes ahead of public safety.

Unfortunately unless a company is going to give you full Refund payment back, as quick as they took it then people will go. This six months wait or voucher or paying over £400 quid to change flights next year (WTF) people will go.

It's all in the governments hands not the punters who have paid up front. Either close flights down or let people go and act responsibly, have a test when you're back a few days. Move on

As we've seen, you can't trust people to do that.

As for people taking a test when they get back, most won't do that either.

Take it out of people's hands. Either cancel flights or enforce quarantine.

trailer

Quote from: BennyCake on July 09, 2020, 09:49:24 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 09, 2020, 09:32:13 PM

As we've seen, you can't trust people to do that.

As for people taking a test when they get back, most won't do that either.

Take it out of people's hands. Either cancel flights or enforce quarantine.

Exactly. People passing judgement on others acting lawfully is the road to no town.

ONeill

It's up to the individual.

Personally, my take is that until we are sure we are on top of this virus on this island, no one should be taking the luxury of a holiday abroad. But that's just my take, as the virus is very much in the infancy of being understood. The opposite view is just as valid in other eyes.

I want my mother to enjoy her remaining years not shielding. She is and will continue to until she's sure she won't be in danger. Again, that's her call. For that to happen I want airports under serious scrutiny with testing but sure even that is unreliable.

Everyone's view on this is valid and no one is correct. You just make a call and judge it on your instinct.

I don't buy into the whole...i've worked hard for this. My da worked 20 times as hard as I did and never felt the need for a foreign holiday. And there are many who feel the opposite...relaxing in the sun is a nice reward.

But again, no one is correct in their stance on this. You have a view, that's it.

However, anyone who uses the word staycation should be shot.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thewobbler

Excellent post O'Neill and I agree with it all.

One tenet/discussion point.

I've a neighbour who is a director of company based out of London.

3 days a week he lives there, flying over and back.

Personally I make him every bit as a much a "bringing Covid home" risk as any holidaymaker. And I don't see the point in closing flights to Spain, if England is easily accessible.

So do we shut down business travel too?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on July 10, 2020, 12:12:09 AM

Personally I make him every bit as a much a "bringing Covid home" risk as any holidaymaker. And I don't see the point in closing flights to Spain, if England is easily accessible.

Well it's either open or not open. The government can only make that call, if you leave it to the person then depending on his needs they will make that choice, if it's a directive from government then he can't.

I'd rather the government close the airports but secure the companies that will loose out because of that decision.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

I don't think governments are into shutting down stuff en masse any more. Too much dough has been lost already. The onus is on the individual/company. Did you do everything to stay safe/give out guidance in case of a court case. Bit like online cookies.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

Especially England. Mind you they are gradually getting there, probably by the end of the month they'll be like other European places.
But definitely America.

Over and back every week is excessive, and is putting us all at risk.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Quote from: ONeill on July 10, 2020, 12:24:41 AM
I don't think governments are into shutting down stuff en masse any more. Too much dough has been lost already. The onus is on the individual/company. Did you do everything to stay safe/give out guidance in case of a court case. Bit like online cookies.

You're right, they won't. Even if there's a spike in cases. They'll more or less say "it's up to you whether you keep yourself safe or not. So f**k ya's, we're ploughing on. The money men are more important than you lot".

Tony Baloney

People like that should be red-flagged and made to stay in one place or the other or certainly have their movements reduced.

This virus is here until there is a vaccine yet practically everything is up and running again. The local cinema is open tomorrow, showing repeats as there are no new releases. What the f**k is the point?!

Last Man

In sport we all have been encouraged at one stage or or another to focus on controlling the controllable s and not giving up energy to things that may or may not happen. Setting aside all the govt directives and advice has anyone been making different lifestyle/diet choices that might be beneficial god forbid you might contract this? Being as healthy as you can appears to appears to have a positive effect on outcomes.

Last Man

Sorry, wrong thread

Itchy

Quote from: ONeill on July 09, 2020, 11:31:34 PM

Personally, my take is that until we are sure we are on top of this virus on this island, no one should be taking the luxury of a holiday abroad. But that's just my take, as the virus is very much in the infancy of being understood. The opposite view is just as valid in other eyes.

I want my mother to enjoy her remaining years not shielding. She is and will continue to until she's sure she won't be in danger. Again, that's her call. For that to happen I want airports under serious scrutiny with testing but sure even that is unreliable.

Everyone's view on this is valid and no one is correct. You just make a call and judge it on your instinct.

I don't buy into the whole...i've worked hard for this. My da worked 20 times as hard as I did and never felt the need for a foreign holiday. And there are many who feel the opposite...relaxing in the sun is a nice reward.

But again, no one is correct in their stance on this. You have a view, that's it.

I cant agree with that. We cannot leave the plight of a world wide pandemic to individuals because it only takes bad decisions by a few % of the people to have a huge impact on the rest. The government are tasked with making these calls. At the moment their policies are full of contradictions and the effect is that what we are seeing is individuals making decisions as there is not a lot of clarity. Governments need to step up and do what they are paid to do. I suppose I would give them a small bit of leeway as the science seems completely all over the place at the moment.

trailer

All very easy when you've been off on holidays since March. You're probably holidayed out at this stage.

Angelo

Quote from: Itchy on July 10, 2020, 09:27:00 AM

I cant agree with that. We cannot leave the plight of a world wide pandemic to individuals because it only takes bad decisions by a few % of the people to have a huge impact on the rest. The government are tasked with making these calls. At the moment their policies are full of contradictions and the effect is that what we are seeing is individuals making decisions as there is not a lot of clarity. Governments need to step up and do what they are paid to do. I suppose I would give them a small bit of leeway as the science seems completely all over the place at the moment.

Agree with this. The governments should be taking the decision out of people's hands because there are a high proportion of people out there who will act selfishly and will put the well being of the general public at risk over their sense of entitlement to a holiday abroad.

But as usual the governments are bottling a big decision and are trying to pass the buck onto the people and they will trot out the line "oh we told you not to travel" when it comes back, yet they were the ones who had the power to do so.

But there's also personal responsibility too and I think people who do endanger the general public should be called out.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL