Useless Statistics

Started by Billys Boots, March 04, 2008, 05:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Maybe I'm wrong, but it might be interesting to have a thread with unusual statistics to keep us occupied with Trivia!

Here's one I came across today - according to the 2006 Census (RoI only), the most common age is 26; there were 77,922 persons of that age in the country on census day.

Incidentally, in 2002, the most common age was 21, there were 67,865 of that age in that census.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Zapatista

74% of statisics are made up on the spot anyway.

Puckoon

Square Ball

there are more rats in the UK than people
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Niall Quinn

Almost 50% of the population earn less than the average wage.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Orior

Not a statistic but... there are more stars in the sky than there are grains on sand on planet earth... apparently. Someone must have counted them.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Niall Quinn

Quote from: Orior on March 04, 2008, 07:10:50 PM
Not a statistic but... there are more stars in the sky than there are grains on sand on planet earth... apparently. Someone must have counted them.

10 times more apparently:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/07/23/wstars23.xml&amp

Hardy

Not a statistic either, but when I was a nipper, a Christian Brother used grains of sand to impress on us a scary concept of the eternity you would spend roasting in the fires of hell for not being good. He told us to imagine a bird that came to Bettystown beach once every million years and took away a grain of sand from the beach. (OK - he wasn't an expert in bird behaviour or the average lifespan of birds). By the time the bird had the beach entirely cleared of sand, eternity would be only just beginning!

Hurler on the Bitch

On average, a healthy heterosexual woman will take approxiamately thirty six miles of male member during her active sex life. This is calculated on an average of 82 thrusts per act (provided that a six inch middle wicket is used) This is then calculated over 32 years at a figure of 100 acts per annum - Thus - 32 x 100 x 6 x 82 is the calculation. Which in fact is the length of road from Newry to Belfast. Strange but true...  That drive will never be the same again

Niall Quinn

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on March 04, 2008, 08:01:36 PM
On average, a healthy heterosexual woman will take approxiamately thirty six miles of male member during her active sex life. This is calculated on an average of 82 thrusts per act (provided that a six inch middle wicket is used) This is then calculated over 32 years at a figure of 100 acts per annum - Thus - 32 x 100 x 6 x 82 is the calculation. Which in fact is the length of road from Newry to Belfast. Strange but true...  That drive will never be the same again

I make it just shy of 25 miles according to the calculation you've outlined Hurler. More Hillsborough than Belfast.

Chrisowc

Quote from: hardstation on March 04, 2008, 08:23:21 PM
Might take a different route from now on.......

You mean root?
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Chrisowc

Quote from: hardstation on March 04, 2008, 08:27:41 PM
No, as in a back road or something.

Probably only from Lisburn to Hillsborough, but you never know what goes on behind closed doors.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

saffron sam2

Tonight is Wes Brown's 50th Champions' League appearance for Man Utd.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

5 Sams

Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 30 goals in 30 games this season :)

BTW Hurler on the Bitch you need to get out more.....and as for that 100 times a year stat....aye right :-\
The Aristocrat Years

The Real Laoislad

Liverpool have been Champions of Europe on 5 occasions
You'll Never Walk Alone.