Help my telly!

Started by Billys Boots, June 11, 2007, 01:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

My kids have bought a Playstation, but let's not talk about that.  I've tuned it into the AV channel on the telly.  I have a double scart socket plugged into the telly - when I want to play a DVD, I plug the PS out of one scart-socket and plug the DVD player in.  When I had the oul Video plugged into this, it was fine, but now I can't get any reception from the DVD player on the AV channel.  I guess it's something simple - can anyone help?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

bcarrier

Billy I check all scarts properly connected and failing that go to http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=f81cca1cfcb996791a00291aad40b39d&f=19

Billys Boots

Thanks bcarrier - those lads can talk some serious jargon.   :-\

Billys Boots

Nope Mac, just one SCART socket on the TV - that was the first mistake I made when I bought it.  I think there's a problem with the TV recognising what AV signal it's getting.  BTW, what does RGD mean?

I'll try the front of telly red/yellow/white option tonight, see how that goes.

Billys Boots

Sorry Mac.  The Sky box and the DVD player are connected 'in series' to one of the scart sockets (to get nice sound quality on the telly) - this worked perfectly until last week.  The other scart socket contains the PS.  However, neither will work unless there's only one scart connected to the TV at any one time.

Shamrock Shore

Playstation  :o

For shame Billy, for shame  :(

Square Ball

Billy. The second TV is the answer, let them use it once and you will have to listen to a lifetime of, can we play the playstation now can we play the playstation now can we play the playstation now can we play the playstation now can we play the playstation now.... you get the drift.

unless of course its not really for the kids!!!!
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 11, 2007, 04:36:35 PMBTW, what does RGD mean?
You mean RGB, its a better quality of Scart.

Remember, hot plugging Scart Cables is not a great idea.

Bogball XV

you can buy a scart extension type thing in power city - it essentially turns 1 scart into 2/3 scart sockets - just like a plug extension.

Billys Boots

Quoteyou can buy a scart extension type thing in power city

I did, and here I am.  I got rid of it (scart extension/splitter) and now plugged the skybox/dvd etc. directly into the telly.  I can now hear the DVD, but can't get the picture, i.e. can hear the DVD but am seeing the skybox pictures.

cicfada

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 11, 2007, 08:52:45 PM

I did, and here I am.  I got rid of it (scart extension/splitter) and now plugged the skybox/dvd etc. directly into the telly.  I can now hear the DVD, but can't get the picture, i.e. can hear the DVD but am seeing the skybox pictures.

Jaysus, Billy don't tell me you got a colour TV at last did ya??

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 11, 2007, 08:52:45 PM

Most Scart splitters are utter junk.
Sounds like the last device connected to the TV is crossing the signals. The tv has only one scart input. It only deals with what comes through the one scart cable. So the TV, IMO ,is not at fault.
I take it that the dvd player is connected to Skybox and Sky box is connected to the tv ?
How is the dvd reception on the tv when you turn off the sky box?
How is it when you turn off the sky box and connect the  the dvd player directly?
Connect each device seperatly to the tv so they and the scart cables are judged OK and working
As has been said sit down and work it out, its a process of elimination.

Billys Boots

QuoteAs has been said sit down and work it out, its a process of elimination.

I originally thought it would be a question of logic, but I hoped there would be a shortcut.  ::)

Bogball XV

as the lads say, the tv can probably only deal with one scart at a time - thus the advantage of the scart splitter is that it's more accessible than having to try and get into the back of the tv every time you want to put in a different appliance.

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 12, 2007, 09:15:19 AM
QuoteAs has been said sit down and work it out, its a process of elimination.

I originally thought it would be a question of logic, but I hoped there would be a shortcut.  ::)
You're hoping against logic  :)
Identify first that every device and every scart cable is working, then report the results.
There is one cause but a lot of possibilities.

Your TV tuning is out, not the way it was when things were hunky dory.

Scart sockets can get loose. Scart cables can deteriorate. Hotplugging scart cables can blow something important in the devices.

Your Sky box will have an rgb scart output socket but your tv may not have a rgb scart input. Wrong cable being used.

Cheap Scart adapters can lose about 40% of the signal quality as well as shading, ie the 2 or 3 scart signals coming in are crossing over in the  output, you can see shades of one when you watch another.
Even expensive scart adapters which lose only 10% of the signal quality can have severe problems with aspect switching
(widescreen to 4/3)