Computer Assistance sought

Started by Billys Boots, January 05, 2009, 10:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

I'd appreciate if anyone could offer assistance on a computer technical matter.

Our home computer screen had 'taken' to turning yellowish rather frequently - I assumed that it was trollixed, so I got a new monitor.  The 'picture' is now red-orange, and I'm flummoxed what to do after following several 'troubleshooters' with no positive result.  Please tell me that the future is not Orange!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

imtommygunn

Not sure Billy but sounds like RGB settings.

Are you using the same cable - I assume not?

I suppose aside from that maybe the output from your computer itself could be buggered? Maybe damaged pins or the like from monitor output?

rosnarun

colours can go a bit dodgy if the monitor cable isn't in properly . i presume you have check this at both ends so a dodgy pin could well be your answer . try to borrow a grphic card somewhere as it is this rather than the computer than will only need to be replaced.  wild variations in proces but a basic one shouldbe too dear . def cheaper than a monitor
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

biglerman

it sounds like your video card could have possibly developed a fault. Is the problem happening at random times?  my advice is start your PC in safe mode to see if the problem still persists (if it gives you a good clear picture then try updating the drivers for the card), if it is still no better after this try a system restore (start/control panel/system/system properties/system restore) to an approximate date before this problem occurred.
Hope this helps (PM me if you need assistance)

Pangurban

If you are running any programme with Adobe Gamma, it will conflict with the monitor calibration. Use Adobe to calibrate Monitor, or opt for the monitors own software, not both together.

Billys Boots

Thanks folks, I'll go with some of that advice and report back.

mylestheslasher

Most likely to be your graphics card. Buy a cheap one on ebay and see if that fixes the problem.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 05, 2009, 10:47:02 PM
Not sure Billy but sounds like RGB settings.

Are you using the same cable - I assume not?

I suppose aside from that maybe the output from your computer itself could be buggered? Maybe damaged pins or the like from monitor output?
I'd def check this out first.
then examine the graphics card. These dont normally go - then again maybe you are doing a bit of 'gaming' (unlikely I'd have thought).

Still it also depends on the brand of computer, some components can be flakey.
ie if it was a dell, then its conceiveable that the card could be sub standard

Shamrock Shore

I'll sell you a pc Billy..........nothing wrong with the monitor

Billys Boots

How will I check if pins/connectors are damaged?  It's an old (ca. 2003) IBM laptop btw - I think it's an Intel Graphics card.

mylestheslasher

Billy. How did you swap out a monitor on a laptop? Are you connecting the laptop into another monitor and if you are what is the picture on the laptop screen like?

Billys Boots

Myles, you can add another monitor to a laptop quite easily - normally sorted out through the Control Panel/Display/Settings functions.

mylestheslasher

I know that Billy. But if there is a problem with your graphics card this would also show up on the laptops "built in" monitor. It would help us diagnose the problem for you. If your laptop display is ok it means either your monitor, the cabling to you monitor or your laptop svg port are damaged.

Billys Boots

Gotcha now Myles, I normally only display on the external monitor, but I'll have a look tonight.

Billys Boots

It looks like it was pins alright - all well again, for the moment!  Thanks folks.