U20 All Ireland football championship 2021

Started by Blowitupref, February 03, 2020, 04:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I'd say the CCCC are meeting this very minute to accede to Angelo's wishes.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: Angelo on March 08, 2020, 03:17:47 PM
I don't like having the semis and final at Croke Park personally.

There's been some cracking games at u20 and u21 level in recent years and the atmosphere will be totally lost in it at Croke Park not to mention the home advantage for the Dubs.

Semi finals are only in Croke Park to fill the void left with the club finals. The final will likely be played along side the NFL finals in Croke Park.

I think it would be better to play those games in smaller grounds.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

manfromdelmonte

I doubt the GAA are that hard up for a few euro that they need the double header in Croke Park

Kerry are hardly going to bring a huge following

Rossfan

Neither will Dublin or Galway. Those 2 plus Kerry will hardly bring 5k between them.

Angelo

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 08, 2020, 04:07:39 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 08, 2020, 03:17:47 PM
I don't like having the semis and final at Croke Park personally.

There's been some cracking games at u20 and u21 level in recent years and the atmosphere will be totally lost in it at Croke Park not to mention the home advantage for the Dubs.

Semi finals are only in Croke Park to fill the void left with the club finals. The final will likely be played along side the NFL finals in Croke Park.

I think it would be better to play those games in smaller grounds.

I'd agree, I think Croke Park should only be for semi finals and finals in the AI series, you're generally not going to draw a crowd of 30/40k plus outside of those games.

I think the team who tops the league should get home advantage for the final.

There's nothing worse than watching a game in a quarter empty Croke Park. I know there's this thing about giving the players the chance to play at Croke Park but I don't know if that's really an appeal. If I was a player playing in something that will probably be the highlight of a lot of these guys playing careers, I think I'd rather play in a full stadium in some place in Mullingar or Longford than an empty Croke Park that quarter the lower tier of one stand occupied.

I think when you see these games played in Croke Park with nobody there, it devalues them.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Maroon Manc

I think from that Galway team that started only Tierney, Fitzgerald, Glynn & Greene are overage next year so can't see too many making the senior panel inside the next 18 months. I think Tierney will be straight in after he's finished with the 20's, I watched the full Kerry game recently and he did better than I first thought.

It will be interesting to see how they do against Kerry, Galway were missing Tierney and the two Monaghans in the 2 previous games this year. I think Galway will get a lot more out of this team then last years going forward.

Captain Obvious

St Patrick's Day Parade in Dublin cancelled GAA still going ahead with that double header in Croke Park?

GaillimhIarthair

It would be more surprising if they went ahead in CP at this stage.

Alternative venues could be either the Gaelic Grounds or Ennis for Galway / Kerry & possibly Breffni or Mullingar for the Dubs & Tyrone?

Blowitupref

October 17th

All-Ireland semi-finals
Dublin v Tyrone, Kingspan Breffni Park, 2.30pm
Galway v Kerry, Gaelic Grounds, 4.30pm
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

GalwayBayBoy

More unfortunate news for Galway. Looks like it just won't be the Moycullen players missing.

QuoteThis would mean that two of Galway U20's most prominent players, Paul Kelly and James McLaughlin, will miss Saturday's All-Ireland semi-final showdown against Kerry and manager Donal O'Fátharta could only bemoan the timing of the situation.

"I was talking to the doctor and I can't comment on names or anything but, with close contacts, we will be down five players, and possibly more. It has just disrupted things this week. Look it, it is what it is. We just have to get on with it."

An Fhairche Abu

It's a good Galway team but hard to see them overcoming Kerry with the loss of so many players, only know about the Moycullen lads for sure to date but two of them are absolutely key lads to be down already before adding in any more players.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on October 15, 2020, 06:40:14 PM
It's a good Galway team but hard to see them overcoming Kerry with the loss of so many players, only know about the Moycullen lads for sure to date but two of them are absolutely key lads to be down already before adding in any more players.

It's a real shame alright. I was looking forward to this game more than the seniors playing on Sunday but hard not to feel Galway are fatally compromised now. Still everyone's health is the priority. Galway just unlucky this time but they won't be the last team it happens to if the games go ahead at all over the next couple months.

MayoBuck

Looks like Kerry will be missing a few players due to Covid as well

GalwayBayBoy

They'd nearly be as well to postpone it at this stage. Granted would it ever get played at all then you'd fear. Plus they would probably have to end up postponing a rake of games.