Antrim, the way forward

Started by Milltown Row2, October 30, 2015, 09:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Ground work on second pitch is well advanced DR but need some weather now to complete and sew the pitch. We have a good vision of how it will all look but there are a few phases before its all complete. Over 80 club volunteers are back out on the road again this week to raise funds to make sure O Cahan Pk finishes up a tidy set up.

In a couple of years we should have a good local facility on top of Dunsilly and Casement. All we need now is a few winning teams to put on them lol.

Na Glinntí Glasa

excellent news. long overdue with the footbal and camogie clubs there. its not easy to operate on one pitch only and if truth be told the pitch has suffered for it getting no rest. will get a look at the progress this season no doubt
hurl like f**k boi!

bannside

Our club got a report back from our delegate at County Committee meeting last night about recent activity.

Dunsilly coming along fine, and should be open for business by the end of the summer. Should be more than adequate for our interim needs - credit to all involved.

Casement Park is a different matter. Details were given to club delegates about the offer that is currently on the table from Ulster, and going by the mood that was reported in the room, Antrim officials will have great difficulty selling anything resembling that to the clubs. Unless Ulster come up with a much improved offer that reflects our position as landlords of the grounds, then unfortunately our delegate said he sees trouble ahead.

Antrim clubs are really only beginning to get a full picture of the insulting package that was on offer, and there was quite a lot of anger in the room. If Ulster are looking for their dream stadium then they need to start upping the ante and treating Antrim with more respect.

If that dosent happen I do really see this coming to a sorry end.

One delegate, apparently, was adamant we dont need it at all, and if we sell Casement we can build a proper Dunsilly and tidy up a couple of county grounds with a new and improved facilities. The majority opposed this in favour of a proper a fair deal from Ulster but insist this is now a priority.

Interesting Times.

imtommygunn

Do we still own it though or do the ulster council own it??

theskull1

Take a look at the lack of support that was in CP on Saturday. I'm sure there was even less support down in Parnell watch the Kildare game.

Now please.. someone tell me WHY from an Antrim perspective, Casement Park needs to be a redeveloped in the way that the Ulster Council want it developed? It is so blatantly obvious to me that it would be a terrible thing for Antrim teams to be playing in an echoy stadium with zero atmosphere , I can't for the life of me understand why any Antrim man wants it? Can't help but think power brokers who haven't Antrims best interests at heart are controlling the debate and information flow.

Or am I missing something ?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Na Glinntí Glasa

i think your spot on skull. It was apparent that we didnt have a big support there on sunday.

i suppose im old enough to have seen the big antrim support that was at the games during the late 80', through the 90's. Even the ulster hurling finals were attended by a massive crowd who would usually sit all over the grass hills at Casement Park and were entertained by two good games at minor and senior level. The football games were still well attended despite us not winning a game for so many years. I was lucky enough to be at the Down game when we finally broke the losing run and finally win a match in the championship.

Those days of a big support are gone, and long gone at that. I would struggle to name you a single person i know who attended Croke Park on sat to watch the football from my neck of the woods. The interest just isnt there any more. Its not just football, its the hurling as well. Unless the games at home most people wouldnt attend an antrim hurling match.

How could we even justify opening casement to house around 1000 people? after the novelty has wore off the place who would even want to go to play a game at an empty stadium?
hurl like f**k boi!

AQMP

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 26, 2016, 10:36:30 AM
Do we still own it though or do the ulster council own it??

I think Antrim still own Casement.

themac_23

Quote from: Dunloy realist on April 26, 2016, 11:37:19 AM
i think your spot on skull. It was apparent that we didnt have a big support there on sunday.

i suppose im old enough to have seen the big antrim support that was at the games during the late 80', through the 90's. Even the ulster hurling finals were attended by a massive crowd who would usually sit all over the grass hills at Casement Park and were entertained by two good games at minor and senior level. The football games were still well attended despite us not winning a game for so many years. I was lucky enough to be at the Down game when we finally broke the losing run and finally win a match in the championship.

Those days of a big support are gone, and long gone at that. I would struggle to name you a single person i know who attended Croke Park on sat to watch the football from my neck of the woods. The interest just isnt there any more. Its not just football, its the hurling as well. Unless the games at home most people wouldnt attend an antrim hurling match.

How could we even justify opening casement to house around 1000 people? after the novelty has wore off the place who would even want to go to play a game at an empty stadium?

http://www.football365.com/news/brno-czech-football-stadium-rebuilt

this is what casement needs never mind the white elephant!!!!

imtommygunn

Quote from: theskull1 on April 26, 2016, 10:53:40 AM
Take a look at the lack of support that was in CP on Saturday. I'm sure there was even less support down in Parnell watch the Kildare game.

Now please.. someone tell me WHY from an Antrim perspective, Casement Park needs to be a redeveloped in the way that the Ulster Council want it developed? It is so blatantly obvious to me that it would be a terrible thing for Antrim teams to be playing in an echoy stadium with zero atmosphere , I can't for the life of me understand why any Antrim man wants it? Can't help but think power brokers who haven't Antrims best interests at heart are controlling the debate and information flow.

Or am I missing something ?

I would say you're spot on. We do need a county ground though. (Although I think the county hurling finals in north antrim but probably not suitable / fair on city folk)

theskull1

A strategy should have been developed years ago to get out of Casement and situate a properly sized stadium to suit our needs in the middle of the county that is 30 minutes of 90% of the GAA population that had proper access and parking. I presume Dunsilly access is a major problem in that regard?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

bannside

Antrim still own the Stadium.  Our officials must do what is right for Antrim, not for Ulster. They will take back to us the best possible deal they can get....and then it will be entirely over to the clubs to mandate their delegates whether or not to accept.

The outcome of this will be sealed by Antrim clubs, especially their committee members who will be given the details and asked for a response.

If the deal looks right I will be in favour of it. But I want to see Antrim get a deal that reflects the fact that £60m of Dcal money is going into the project solely and specifically FOR THE UPGRADING or REBUILD of Casement Park. Which is the home of ANTRIM GAA.

This money is not ringfenced for Ulster Council to build a stadium wherever they wish..... so people should stop posting that drivel. Do they want access to the £60m or not?

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on April 26, 2016, 12:50:35 PM
A strategy should have been developed years ago to get out of Casement and situate a properly sized stadium to suit our needs in the middle of the county that is 30 minutes of 90% of the GAA population that had proper access and parking. I presume Dunsilly access is a major problem in that regard?

The railway line seems to be the cause of the access issues. I would have thought any solution to this would involve a lot of different parties and unfortunately money to get around.

NAG1

Quote from: bannside on April 26, 2016, 01:44:47 PM
Antrim still own the Stadium.  Our officials must do what is right for Antrim, not for Ulster. They will take back to us the best possible deal they can get....and then it will be entirely over to the clubs to mandate their delegates whether or not to accept.

The outcome of this will be sealed by Antrim clubs, especially their committee members who will be given the details and asked for a response.

If the deal looks right I will be in favour of it. But I want to see Antrim get a deal that reflects the fact that £60m of Dcal money is going into the project solely and specifically FOR THE UPGRADING or REBUILD of Casement Park. Which is the home of ANTRIM GAA.

This money is not ringfenced for Ulster Council to build a stadium wherever they wish..... so people should stop posting that drivel. Do they want access to the £60m or not?

Flawed thinking there bannside on what has been a flawed process from the beginning.

Yes Antrim want access to £60m of course we would, but we do not want to sell our souls for the sake of it. To build something that instead of enhancing future generations of Antrim gaels, it actually becomes a millstone around their necks, in terms of insurance payments, up keep, services etc etc etc.

So it is not as simple as saying take it or leave it, it has to be for the benefit of current gaels as well as those coming behind us all.

bannside

Fair Point Nag1. The only thing that gives me comfort is that Pol Mc Canna is involved in looking after our interests. His background will ensure we dont settle for something that isnt in our best interests. Having said that, he wont be the one making the final decisions here. He will leave that responsibility to the clubs of Antrim. But he wont be walked over I can assure you of that!

As I said previously, if the deal isnt a decent one for Antrim it will not succeed. It simply wont get past the clubs.

The feeling is we have been taken for a bit of a ride and expected to go along with it. Thats not going to happen.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: NAG1 on April 26, 2016, 01:45:49 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on April 26, 2016, 12:50:35 PM

The railway line seems to be the cause of the access issues. I would have thought any solution to this would involve a lot of different parties and unfortunately money to get around.

Yeah it was the railway line that has caused that problem. the costs of going in their a building a new access and a bridge were far too expensive and it was ditched very early on.

You only have to look at the massive park and ride at Templepatrick that was built. It orgionally was to have train platform there as a new park and ride for the trains and buses. The cost of the new platform and the works to area meant it had to be ditched as well.
hurl like f**k boi!