Antrim, the way forward

Started by Milltown Row2, October 30, 2015, 09:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clover

Well delargy true colours  showing know you were toid to sit down and you did'nt like it know you hate everybody everyone on the county  committe are not at fault it's going to change no matter what so give over with your one sided views

Milltown Row2

Lads everyone is going to have a view or preference for an-other, does that make us all biased? course it does, Bannside is taking the view that SV have ticked all the boxes for him... if someone else views it differently then that is that, a difference of opinion, who's right in all of this? I suppose time will tell after the elections are done and what promises were made before the election actually pan out.....

So many broken promises, false dawns!! whatever else that has went on in the past should cease after this, as both camps seem to have promised a better future (in fairness it couldn't get any worse) and if they don't come up with something then they will look pretty silly!!!

Good luck to all involved should fill a few hundred pages once it is sorted  :-X
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Good point MR2. I'm only one opinion on here and not for a second would I expect everyone to agree. Having said that I wont be misrepresented as Clover has tried to do. There are a few current officers that I have absolutely no difficulty with and would gladly support them in a new administration where they might get a chance to thrive. And while happy to say that I still assert that I expect many on the SV ticket to secure a majority and pave an exciting way ahead for our future generations.

Please read the discussion fully before jumping to silly conclusions.

brendanbelfast

An unfortunate intervention from 'Clover'. Whether one agrees with the views expressed on this board the discussions have been for the most part positive and without resorting to abuse. It would be helpful all round to keep it that way between now and December 7th and beyond in fact.

theskull1

5 posts all about the one topic from Clover (most of them throwin' digs). Just saying like

As important as it is, 'real' gaels IMO have opinions beyond Antrims AGM.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

bogieman

Lads, there is only one fact, regardless of the bs on here or elsewhere in the columns...

Antrim will get all the members of the new county board they deserve.  8)
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

Last Man

Quote from: hardstation on November 28, 2015, 12:52:24 AM
I'm not sure if this has ever been discussed before, I'm sure it has....

But does anyone else think that the way we choose county officers is a bit flawed?
What I mean is, club committees sit around and choose their candidates. Their delegates go to county convention and vote "supposedly" how their club told them to. The club delegate could just pick whoever the feck they like and nobody would ever know. That's a bit mad.

+1. This fact is often overlooked. My impression is there is little turnover of delegate positions and clubs just let the encumbents slide on through come agm. Lobbying delegates and pulling in old favours is where it's at IMO. Why not on one day of the year could the votes of each club for county officer positions not be published or would that create more score settling down the line??

bannside

It's often forgotten that the club delegates to County Committee form the most important body in the county. In fact they are a higher authority than Coiste Bainisti. Nothing should happen without the consent of County Committee and that's why we need club men there who will be interested and motivated to ask all the right questions and at times the tough questions.

For example the county chairman and his entire county management team cannot appoint a county manager unless it is with the expressed consent of the majority of club delegates on County Committee. But our problem is half the time the people on this grouping don't care enough to influence anything. So much apathy exists. We lose a c'ship game and it's not discussed. In other counties the debate could run for hours.

cnma

HS, I'm sure many wonder as you do. All we can do, however, is, within each Club, ensure that your delegates to County meetings and convention are honourable members who go there to represent the interests of their club and not on their own account. I know that anytime I have been mandated by my Club to vote for/against a motion or for a certain individual I have done that.
The same "weakness" may be noted at Congress when we trust that County delegates vote according to the mandate so given by the clubs.
Paper votes make this difficult to confirm but in both cases (county and national) a show of hands may make a close vote hard to call, plus it could lead to fear of voting against successful candidates?

cnma

I think the 1st vote is key. Depending on how the vote for Chair goes the "mood" at Convention will react. I predict it could be similar to 1996 when Joe O'Boyle ousted Oliver Kelly as Chairman; the mood of Convention was so obvious for change that Gerry Barry etc. were never going to be elected. Although the SV candidates are standing separately I think that this 1st vote will set the tone and dictate the subsequent polls!

bannside

Agree with that except if delegates are mandated by their clubs - and stick to that mandate - then they should be voting in accordance with their club wishes....not waiting to see how the first vote turned out!

cnma

Bannside, I don't know whether it actually applies in any Clubs, but it is possible that that some may give their delegates a conditional mandate? That is, if "A" wins 1st vote then vote, 1,2,3 etc.; if "B" wins then vote X,Y,Z. It might be a novel approach but I speculate that some Clubs may allow delegates to exercise a level of discretion?

bannside

Gold

Good to see a lot of bigger names back in the County Senior Panel (see in today's Irish News).

There's nothing like it when the County are going well in the Championship, with those players available (and if fit) there's no reason why we couldn't beat Fermanagh in the prelim round and hopefully get the ball rolling

Any other names back/new names added?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

brendanbelfast

Yeah the talking is all done now, we have been to every club in the county, set out our reasons for going forward as a group and answered questions as best we could. The response from every club was very warm, gracious and respectful. No media campaign, no social media campaign, no YouTube videos.....power within the County lies with the clubs and that is where we have spent the last 5 weeks. Its now over to the clubs and their delegates.

We can collectively decide to stick with what we have, or change things. On Monday night we will know.