Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

GJL

johnneycool

Quote from: GJL on September 15, 2015, 11:49:29 AM
Quote from: ashman on September 15, 2015, 09:12:57 AM
Oil prices fooked!!!!!

Oil is well down. Do you think it is down to stay?

Read that somewhere but for some reason the fuel prices started creeping up at the pump again, feckin bolloxes!

deiseach

Is there a clamour in Norway to rejoin the union with Sweden, what with the fall in oil prices?

magpie seanie

I stiil think the Scots don't really want independence. They'll happily vote for the SNP in Westminster elections but independence is another step down the road. I don't think they have the belief in themselves that they can go it alone and they quite like giving out about the English. I find that sad to be honest.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 15, 2015, 02:08:46 PM
I stiil think the Scots don't really want independence. They'll happily vote for the SNP in Westminster elections but independence is another step down the road. I don't think they have the belief in themselves that they can go it alone and they quite like giving out about the English. I find that sad to be honest.

Whatever about it being sad, I think the rest is spot on. It seems they want a strong scottish voice in Westminster, but that's the key part of the sentence, 'in Westminster'.

GJL

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 15, 2015, 02:27:33 PM

Whatever about it being sad, I think the rest is spot on. It seems they want a strong scottish voice in Westminster, but that's the key part of the sentence, 'in Westminster'.

I'm not so sure. They were not that far away the last time and only for a lot of promises made by the Brits they might have made it. Those promises have not been fully kept so next time around you never know.

ashman

Quote from: deiseach on September 15, 2015, 12:09:22 PM
Is there a clamour in Norway to rejoin the union with Sweden, what with the fall in oil prices?

The dilemma of the divorcee who got the snip and then ......

omaghjoe

Quote from: GJL on September 15, 2015, 03:05:28 PM

I'm not so sure. They were not that far away the last time and only for a lot of promises made by the Brits they might have made it. Those promises have not been fully kept so next time around you never know.

To the previous two posts you're analysis is outdated. I know quite a few Scots and many were completely embarrassed about the result last year, their opinion has shifted from "maybe, suppose it would be nice" to "dam right we should"

And given that 45% voted for independence and 50% voted for the SNP at the recent elections, therefore at the most you are only talking about 5% of Scots who think the way of your conclusions.

As a comparison for reference, Sinn Fein only got 47% of the popular vote in 1918 which lead directly to independence.

There was a fundamental shift in how the Scots think during indieref. Independence in Scotland has all of a sudden become a very mainstream issue. Whether this fashion continues to grow, or fizzlesout before independence is achieved is the question.

muppet

Quote from: ashman on September 15, 2015, 03:59:32 PM

That's a good way of putting it.  :D
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

omaghjoe

Quote from: deiseach on September 15, 2015, 04:29:20 PM

Ran into a fella a few weeks back... 28yo with a 6 month old baby and he was gonna get it done.
:o

magpie seanie

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 15, 2015, 04:11:08 PM

To the previous two posts you're analysis is outdated. I know quite a few Scots and many were completely embarrassed about the result last year, their opinion has shifted from "maybe, suppose it would be nice" to "dam right we should"

And given that 45% voted for independence and 50% voted for the SNP at the recent elections, therefore at the most you are only talking about 5% of Scots who think the way of your conclusions.

As a comparison for reference, Sinn Fein only got 47% of the popular vote in 1918 which lead directly to independence.

There was a fundamental shift in how the Scots think during indieref. Independence in Scotland has all of a sudden become a very mainstream issue. Whether this fashion continues to grow, or fizzlesout before independence is achieved is the question.

It's alright talking tough but when it comes to it they will bottle it again.....as they have always done throughout history. Singing an anthem about fighting and dying and they couldn't even mange to vote for the bloody thing. I'll believe it when I see it.

omaghjoe

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 15, 2015, 06:04:12 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on September 15, 2015, 04:11:08 PM

It's alright talking tough but when it comes to it they will bottle it again.....as they have always done throughout history. Singing an anthem about fighting and dying and they couldn't even mange to vote for the bloody thing. I'll believe it when I see it.

Actually the referendum result surpassed any fair or logical expectations for "Yes". There was a massive surge throughout the indieref campaign towards Yes and that's been maintained and continued since.

As for the fighting and dying... "Those days are past now, and in the past they must remain"

magpie seanie

We'll agree to disagree for now omaghjoe but I'll watch to see with interest if you are right. You're probably closer to things that I am so maybe my perception differs from the reality.

armaghniac

This Brexit thing has moved a few from one side to the other on this matter.

A Panelbase survey for the Sunday Times indicated an almost direct reversal of the result of the 2014 referendum, with 52% in favour of independence, up seven points, and 48% against, down seven points.

The snapshot of 620 adults also found that 52% thought Scotland was likely to become independent within 10 years, rising from 30% when the same question was asked in April.

A poll for the Sunday Post that asked respondents how they would vote if a second referendum were held tomorrow, revealed 59% would vote yes to independence, 32% no and 9% undecided.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B