Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

DrinkingHarp

With a yes from Edinburgh and Fife that should be it right?
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

ziggy90

Quote from: LondonCamanachd on September 18, 2014, 09:08:24 PM
F*ck's sake, democracy is horrible - this is like trying to follow a Cup Final penalty shootout on a radio with a dodgy signal.

I have no idea what will happen, I'm swinging from hope and elation to despair and fear, as I see the various posts on Twitter and Facebook from folk who have voted.

It comes down to this, which side of the Scots psyche is stronger: "ach, f*ck it, let's dae this" or "we'll pay for this" ?

Yep.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Never beat the deeler

Interesting to see what happens next:

Quote2:58pm: From Nick Miller in Edinburgh:
British Prime Minister David Cameron is expected to give a speech in an hour. It's going to be crucial.
Tired Scots who voted Yes will hope for a clear sign their fight was not in vain - that they made enough headway to secure the promise of further devolved powers.
Tired Scots who voted No because of that promise will want to be reassured it will not be walked back or diluted.
But there is a whole lot of banked-up outrage from Conservatives who will ask why Scotland should be given anything more, given they voted to stay with Britain.
And regions such as London and the North will be asking: if Scotland gets more devolved powers, why not us?
Some are tipping this could be the start of a constitutional revolution, with Britain moving to more of a federal model.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/live-scottish-independence-referendum-result-20140918-3g0tm.html#ixzz3DjhowgCL

From
http://www.smh.com.au/world/live-scottish-independence-referendum-result-20140918-3g0tm.html
Hasta la victoria siempre

Maguire01

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 19, 2014, 12:07:43 AM
I wouldn't underestimate Plaid Cymru. Some clever people in there. Ever see Paxman thinking he was going to walk over a Welsh nationalist only to have his ass handed to him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gy7f8vP2QY
That was good.

BennyHarp

The independence supporters handled this all wrong. Alex Salmond should have went to Whitehall and negotiated independence for most of Scotland, perhaps leaving, let's say 6 of their counties under rule from London. I think that situation would have satisfied everyone and led to a lasting and viable future for all.
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

Take that butchers apron down. Scotland will be free tonight.

bennydorano

The beginning of a Constitutional revolution & UK politics has been reinvigorated - apart from the dreary steeples of this shithole obviously.

lawnseed

Theyre "feart"
Afraid of everythimg. Truth is its the english taxpayer who needs to be asked in a referendum whether he/she wants to continue paying for basketcase regions while seeing cuts in services in england. Do the enjoy fleg waving orangies trashing this place every year while they pick up the bill? Is the 'united' "kingdom" more important than basic healthcare in birmingham?
Also if I was  a scot "yes" voter i'd be well pissed at commercial entities eg asda trying to influence voters. We had the same shite here from companies like intel wading into politcal questions during referendi. Its not their place and they should be told to mind their business especially as they enjoy the taxbreaks on offer while the taxpayer here struggles
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

ballinaman

They shouldn't be allowed to sing flower of Scotland now...would sound a bit hollow!

OakleafCounty

Well there you have it. The scaremongering and negativity of the 'Better Together' won. Ultimately I think the next time this comes around the Yes campaign will need to have a concrete plan in place in terms of currency. The ideal I think is that they will have their own currency but they will need to have savings in place to make up the deficit. 

johnneycool

Quote from: lawnseed on September 19, 2014, 07:55:30 AM
Theyre "feart"
Afraid of everythimg. Truth is its the english taxpayer who needs to be asked in a referendum whether he/she wants to continue paying for basketcase regions while seeing cuts in services in england. Do the enjoy fleg waving orangies trashing this place every year while they pick up the bill? Is the 'united' "kingdom" more important than basic healthcare in birmingham?
Also if I was  a scot "yes" voter i'd be well pissed at commercial entities eg asda trying to influence voters. We had the same shite here from companies like intel wading into politcal questions during referendi. Its not their place and they should be told to mind their business especially as they enjoy the taxbreaks on offer while the taxpayer here struggles

That's the thing, Scotland isn't a basket case if you take into consideration the tax tax from the same region.
The lack of investment since Thatcher in the northern regions for a services based industry in the South East has caused the disparity seen now, so as much as the Torys complain about the burden from the regions it was very much their own doing.
We're just fecked, due to government subsidised industries used to keep the unionists sweet for all those years, not to mention an over weight civil service.

Tony Baloney

84.6% turnout so can't blame voter apathy. Didn't send them homewards to think again. :-[

Zip Code

Jeepers Creepers

Those 'Yes' screams...that moment in Braveheart when William Wallace realised he was shopped by his own :'(

imtommygunn

Irrespective of the no vote it still put the shits up Cameron. 45% is still a very large amount of people who want to leave "the union". It has to make them think.

Having talked to quite a few scots over the last while about this the general feeling was that it was too soon. The feeling was also that Salmond had pushed on with it because he wanted it to be his legacy and if he had waited out a few years and fleshed all the finer detail out it would have gone through.

You have to wonder would it impact the north. We are heavily subsidised and Scotland simply aren't. If questions start being asked then what would be done.